DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi From Melbourne, Australia

You joined back in December 28, but didn't say Hello ?

So Welcome. Can i ask you do Australians really say Giday?
And is Australia generally awesome and cool?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Can i ask you do Australians really say Giday?

It's g'day, and yes many use the greeting when passing by someone, or meeting a mate (friend) or anyone really, even the dog.

Oz is a pretty good place in general.

(For some reason, I thought you lived here ?)

Thanx, actually we do really say giday.

Oz (Australia) is not bad, mostly awesome and cool but also sometimes hot, here in Mel occassionaly we see 47C almost 117F.

We're heading into winter now, ski season starts 10th june. Cant wait to take the drone skiing!!

No, I live on an island in the pacific, cut off, still fighting a war noone told me was over.

Did a 2 hr stopover in Sydney once. Never forgot that exxent.
Welcome to Sidney! "Are you carrying any
Drugs or Lithium batteries" *heartbeat thumping* "No, I mean yes. I mean.. ?"

Lol sry, I just came from srywss batteries on planes thread

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Welcome to the forum! :)

Giday I am a new pilot from Eastern suburbs Australia, have a Mavic Pro which is lots of fun and lots on new knowledge to learn.

Cheers Steve

G’day Steve and welcome

I spent 10 years in the tropics and I'm now on the road full time, currently in sthn NSW and I cant get used to this cold weather.

I would say the best way to learn is to watch as many youtube videos as possible and when you start flying, just go slowly slowly.

Never rush things and get to know your controls completely.

The main thing is to enjoy flying and do is within the law

You joined back in December 28, but didn't say Hello ?

yes. we do say g'day. its a very common greeting used everywhere. BTW, its not 'gid day' as many murcans say but simply one short word 'gday'

We're heading into winter now, ski season starts 10th june. Cant wait to take the drone skiing!!

Be careful / aware of most resorts drone NFZ’s.
They generally have plenty of heli action, but depends where you’re headed.
Falls / Hotham are out, not sure about Buller.

The CIFT (Can I Fly There) app may show ok to fly, but resorts are like local councils, they can ban use for all practical means by not allowing launching / retrieval.

Enjoy the snow and, and maybe you’re heading backcountry XC and totally ok to fly.

Reactions: srwyss
Giday I am a new pilot from Eastern suburbs Australia, have a Mavic Pro which is lots of fun and lots on new knowledge to learn.

Cheers Steve
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

yes. we do say g'day. its a very common greeting used everywhere. BTW, its not 'gid day' as many murcans say but simply one short word 'gday'

Rofl, Murcan.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob
Thunderdrones

The CIFT (Can I Fly There) app may show ok to fly, but resorts are like local councils, they can ban use for all practical means by not allowing launching / retrieval.

Enjoy the snow and, and maybe you’re heading backcountry XC and totally ok to fly.

I contacted CASA re their rules and any restrictions that councils etc may impose

They advised that THEY ‘own’ the airspace, make the rules and they allow us to fly there. Councils etc cant make rules or impose conditions

Technically, if CASA says its ok to fly then away you go.

BUT, (and it’s a big but) you must be aware that you cant fly within 30m over buildings, vehicles or people OR locations where people may be (ie tunnels, covered walkways etc etc

Having said that, everything will all change on 1st July when CASA bring in their new laws.

I note that they state “…. and comply with Resort and CASA regulations”

Regulations are imposed under an act of parliament and are law. The resort cannot make regulations, only policies.

CASA makes the regs

IMO, they are just trying to bluff people by imposing a ‘policy’ – they cant make laws.

I wanted to fly at Kangaroo Falls? and noted that NPWS have a no drone policy in a couple of parks with ‘no drones permitted’ signs.

It worked on me and I didn’t fly when I saw the sign BUT contacted CASA personally later that day for clarification (the CASA person i spoke with was also a drone pilot)

As of today, my understanding is that the ONLY organisation that has any legal control over the air space is CASA.

I would have no hesitation in flying at a resort as long as I complied with the law, ie no flying over buildings etc etc
NB that they say if anyone is caught, they will be asked to leave the area. If you fly in a CASA regulated NFZ, you will be prosecuted not just asked to leave

I do think that will change after 1/7/19 when CASA makes major changes

Ok if you want to open a new thread in the Oz section, happy to explain more about operating from / to private property.
Flying over isn’t the issue here.
Many places you can’t effectively fly due to distance / terrain and keeping vlos, that is one of CASAs requirements.
Ski resorts can have major heli activity too, they come in all the time at Falls / Hotham, between resorts and taking skiers to Mt Mckay and other back country slopes.
All the OP has to do is some due diligence and if in doubt speak to the resort management and / or CASA help desk.

@MAvic_South_Oz
Thanks, i am aware of specific rules. Flew mt Mckay over Easter, Casa app indicates it was allowed and no heli action that time of year.
Intend to XC out of Falls during winter so should be ok
Steve

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis