DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hobby vs 107

ginshun

Reactions
Hypothetical situation.

There are a couple of times a year at my work that we have outdoor type shows on our property. If I bring the drone in and take some pics or videos, then give them to our marketing department to use for whatever, what certification does that require?

I wouldn't be getting paid for this work - not anything above what I would make anyway, rather I would gladly do it voluntarily, but I guess I would likely be at work when I am doing this, just flying the drone around taking pics instead of my normal work.

I would guess that technically I should have a 107 certification for this correct?

Reactions: crlmjohnson
There are a couple of times a year at my work that we have outdoor type shows on our property. If I bring the drone in and take some pics or videos, then give them to our marketing department to use for whatever, what certification does that require?
FAA Part 107

Not sure, but i Think it's all about the money. If they paid you, legaly, you probably need the 107, but if they gave you a chicken you would ,probably , be ok?

• Haha
Reactions: hactick
Not sure, but i Think it's all about the money. If they paid you, legaly, you probably need the 107, but if they gave you a chicken you would ,probably , be ok?
I only fly for chicken, but I would consider flying for a hamburger as well.

money and the amount of money is irrelevant since voluntary services would be included; what you described is certainly part 107. my guess is if you gave it to the people in the video for them to enjoy seeing themselves and seeing the landscape, i wouldn't get a 107 for that. but if you are the guy in your company with the drone and you gather content for the marketing department (even if they use it for a gag reel or the intro to the company outing video or play it in the foyer for visitors to watch), your company has a defacto 107 pilot in their midst. not a hobby for you at that point, you're furthering the business, it's 107 for sure.

but i'm not 107 so i could have it all wrong.

Reactions: Carb63 and BigAl07
Hypothetical situation.

I wouldn't be getting paid for this work - not anything above what I would make anyway, rather I would gladly do it voluntarily, but I guess I would likely be at work when I am doing this, just flying the drone around taking pics instead of my normal work.

I would guess that technically I should have a 107 certification for this correct?

Any flying that is NOT done purely for RECREATIONAL purposes is completely outside of Hobby Flights. Money, Compensation, Beer, Chicken, Concert Tickets, Charity etc are but one layer that makes it NOT a hobby flight.

If you are flying "to give something to another entity" the INTENT of the flight is not hobby.

If you are flying for your own "recreation" and you later realize it's of interest to another party and freely give it it's fine because AT THE TIME OF THE FLIGHT your INTENT was genuinely recreational. This "caveat" is probably only good the first time... if you do the same "Recreational Flight" every year/quarter etc then you've stepped outside of the Hobby Protective Bubble.

Thanks for the info guys. That is what I suspected, but it's nice to get confirmation from the experts.

I'll maybe just go ahead and look into the FAA drone pilot license program a little more. Doesn't seem terribly difficult and I am pretty sure I can spin things so that work pays for it. Ha!

Reactions: JS1600
Yes, you should be 107 for this, but who really cares? I will probably get slammed for this but I would take the pics but not put my name in the credits. You should get your 107 (and hopefully get your company to pay for it) because after the marketing department sees them they will probably come asking for more.

EDIT: Just make sure you stay within the guidelines so you do not give someone a reason to track you down.

Last edited:
Yes, you should be 107 for this, but who really cares? I will probably get slammed for this but I would take the pics but not put my name in the credits. You should get your 107 (and hopefully get your company to pay for it) because after the marketing department sees them they will probably come asking for more.

I had the same thoughts. It's not likely that anybody is going to be seeking out who the drone operator was when they see the video, so I don't know how you would really get in any trouble for it. If I can get the company to pay though, there is really no downside that I can see, so I'll probably go ahead and do it...eventually.

I had the same thoughts.
Drone Operator Fine for operating as Part 107 w/o Part 107 (IIRC) is $2500
Company Utilizing Drone Operator who is operating without Part 107 fine (IIRC) $11,000

Has anyone been fined yet? Negative... but someone is going to be the first and you probably don't want it to be you.
It's not likely that anybody is going to be seeking out who the drone operator was when they see the video, so I don't know how you would really get in any trouble for it.
All it takes is one person to SEE the video and think "Hey I spent the time and $$ to get Part 107 and this guy is doing the same thing w/o Part 107"... a simple anonymous phone call or an anonymous ONLINE submission will get some degree of investigation going. Jealousy makes people make unusual decisions.

If you ever intend to go Part 107 there is no way I would do this and jeopardize the ability to get it later on. I can tell you first hand that once you're on the FAA Radar it's not a fun place to be.

For transparency..... If I were watching a company video and saw drone shots I would most likely "politely" inquire about the legality of it. If I found out it was a non Part 107 operation I would have no problem making that phone call or ONLINE submission. Just my 2 cents.

How would you or anybody else be able to tell or even suspect from the pics or videos that they were taken by somebody who doesn't have an FAA drone certification?

Technically I am sure that you are correct, real world possibilities though, there are tons of websites for businesses that have drone or aerial shots of the property or products or whatever. The chances of you or anybody else browsing the internet, coming across a manufacturer with drone footage of the facility on their website or Facebook page, suspecting that it may have been taken by someone other than a licensed drone operator, calling the FAA or local authorities and there actually being an investigation and fines just seem astronomical to me.

It's good to think about this stuff, and I guess people who are serious about these things need to be hypervigilant, but I don't think it is something with even a remote possibility of actually happening.

That said, good to know. Thanks again.

-g

How would you or anybody else be able to tell or even suspect from the pics or videos that they were taken by somebody who doesn't have an FAA drone certification?

Technically I am sure that you are correct, real world possibilities though, there are tons of websites for businesses that have drone or aerial shots of the property or products or whatever. The chances of you or anybody else browsing the internet, coming across a manufacturer with drone footage of the facility on their website or Facebook page, suspecting that it may have been taken by someone other than a licensed drone operator, calling the FAA or local authorities and there actually being an investigation and fines just seem astronomical to me.

It's good to think about this stuff, and I guess people who are serious about these things need to be hypervigilant, but I don't think it is something with even a remote possibility of actually happening.

-g

"That said", you really don't want to go down the path of deceit. Now that you have put all of this in the public domain there is a very real and possible scenario whereby someone sends a link to this thread to the FAA. The FAA would then probably want to at least have a chat with you.

The days when it was easy to be anonymous on the internet are long gone. Just sayin'.

-g

Whatever you decide to do is up to you but I can give you a whole list of sUAS people who HAVE been investigated by the FAA and my own name is on that list. A fellow "competitor" made the allegation that I was operating without the proper credentials. A phone call later and my credentials were verified and I was good to go.

You can hop over to the Phantom Pilots forum and see several people who got the "FAA Call/Letter" from their posting their illegal actions on the forum. I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar against the fact that several Law Enforcement Agencies browse these and several other "Drone" forums and take action after the fact.

For the record, anything you put on the forum is backed up in order to ensure Forum Integrity and deleting your post is sort of useless after the fact. Don't waste your time my friend just be cautious about announcing your illegal or to be fairly potentially illegal actions on the internet.

-g

unfortunately your problem is likely going to come from the ex-employee who is fired or left and either knew about the activity or now has a problem with it afterwards. it's how most things are discovered in this world. people who used to be part of the inner circle...you can't keep the team together forever. you know the old saying about who knows where the bodies are buried and all.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate all the info.

The disgruntled employee scenario is like an OSHA violation. If they want to find a problem, they will. Better to make sure that is not even possible.

I Just dont get it. I cant figure out any reason why I cant give anyone I want a picture or , hevans forbid, one of my lousy video's. And likewise, if they want to give me a chicken,so be it.
Hope im not being offensive again.

I Just dont get it. I cant figure out any reason why I cant give anyone I want a picture or , hevans forbid, one of my lousy video's. And likewise, if they want to give me a chicken,so be it.
Hope im not being offensive again.

I can think of one reason - IT'S THE LAW. Most reasonable people go with the flow and obey the laws regardless of how sensible or otherwise they are. Without wanting to state the obvious it's all part of living in a society.

Reactions: PoonDog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign