DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home made - Discharge Mavic Mini batteries without running the motors.

stevemull59

Reactions
I made this light to plug into the battery charger to drain the batteries so you don't have to put the wear on your motors for long storage. Mavic Mini batteries are not an intelligent battery. They will not drain automatically like the bigger batteries for long term storage. If anyone has a better idea, i would like to hear from you.

Last edited:
Good idea!

I have a Hanatora intelligent charger/discharger/storage, for my Mavic 2. A nice piece of kit that displays status and "does it all". I searched, but can't find anything similar for the Mini.
Amazon.com: Hanatora Battery Home Charger & Car Charger for DJI Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro and Remote Controller,5 in 1 Rapid Charging Hub with Charging, Discharging and Storage: Toys & Games
I also searched a while back. No one has anything out there for the Mini. This works pretty good. I would like to maybe make something that discharges at 7 volts. Would be a little faster. Doing it the way I'm doing it, it only discharges at 5 volts because the charger output is 5 volt max. The battery itself is 7 volts. I did have a intelligent discharger for my Phantoms.

I have one too. Love being able to charge just to storage level, full, or discharge. Also love that it works in my car... even though I never travel w/o at least 5 batteries.
View attachment 99000

I saw this on Amazon, and also started searching for something similar for the Mavic Mini.

I even tried searching for the company, Hanatora, to ask if they had plans of making one for the MM, but was unable to find a link to a company website.

If anyone comes across anything regarding anything like this for the Mini, I'd really be interested.

Cheers.

I was under the impression that the type of Batts (Li-ion) in the mini do not require discharge for storage like the LiPo batteries.

Where did this information come from I could use to read up on it.

Edit:

Took me while but finally found some good sources for myself that show li-ion batteries do in fact loose less capacity if stored at 40% and even less is stored at 32 degrees F. At best they still loose 2 percent capacity a yearand only cycle 300-500 times. Learn new things.

if anyone else is still confused after reading the conflicting information here is a good link.
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Last edited:
Reactions: Ping^Spike
I was under the impression that the type of Batts in the mini do not require discharge for storage like the LiPo batteries.

Where did this information come from I could use to read up on it.

Page 20 of the Mavic Mini Manual. The batteries they use in them are 2- 18650 Samsung. You possibly could replace them for a really cheap price by taking the old ones off and buying 18650 batteries online. Don't know how hard it would be. I'm sure some soldering would be involved. I'll cross that road when or if I get there.

Attachments

• batt.jpg
    batt.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4f935a657c8f478af6de5e320c584c1e35d75ead.jpeg
    4f935a657c8f478af6de5e320c584c1e35d75ead.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 27ce44ade8d951e81e6992d0f179828e923399b5_2_1380x656.jpeg
    27ce44ade8d951e81e6992d0f179828e923399b5_2_1380x656.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 51
  • a79d4115f4b498a2a6a37c4f87040a3e6cac243c.jpeg
    a79d4115f4b498a2a6a37c4f87040a3e6cac243c.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Looks like storage temp is the biggest issue rather then storage charge. Sounds like short term storage charge or temp is really of no significant importance with lithium ion. It's when you store for a month or more you will have lost a certain percentage of maximum charge.

So it seems life span is 300-500 charge cycles 2-3years of use and depending on storage temp you could loose a chunk of maximum capacity.

Interesting read here: How to Prolong the Life of an 18650 Battery

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

Page 20 of the Mavic Mini Manual. The batteries they use in them are 2- 18650 Samsung. You possibly could replace them for a really cheap price by taking the old ones off and buying 18650 batteries online. Don't know how hard it would be. I'm sure some soldering would be involved. I'll cross that road when or if I get there.
When 18650s are used in battery packs, they're usually spot welded. What I'd really like to see would be a battery mod that allowed you to easily pop in a fresh pair of cells. I have several DIY power banks that hold 18650s just using clips similar to those used for AA batteries.

Thanks for that video. I’m totally new to this so forgive my novice question... do batteries have to be completely drained to store? Do I need to take batteries out of charger once they are 100% charged?
Thanks

I made this light to plug into the battery charger to drain the batteries so you don't have to put the wear on your motors for long storage. Mavic Mini batteries are not an intelligent battery. They will not drain automatically like the bigger batteries for long term storage. If anyone has a better idea, i would like to hear from you.
I put my mobile phone on charge through the mavic minis charger with the battery I want to run down until there is 2 lights on with a 3rd light blinking.

An inexpensive USB battery pack. Use it to charge and discharge everything mini. Quick and easy

I carry a few because I am offshore away from home often.

Reactions: uk-kenny
It says right in the Mavic Mini online PDF user manual page 20, if you are not using them for more then 10 days to discharge them to 39% to 75%. Why would they put that in the manual if there is no need?
That’s because DJ I just cut and pasted it from another manual.
There are lithium ion. Read up on them
And by the way if they are Lipo (which they’re not ) don’t let him go 10 days

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaffainNL