DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home made - Discharge Mavic Mini batteries without running the motors.

That article doesn't seem to distinguish between Li-ion and Li-polymer, e.g. it says "Figure 1 illustrates the capacity drop of 11 Li-polymer batteries," but the caption for Figure 1 says "Eleven new Li-ion were tested..." I'm afraid that's just adding to the confusion.
Look to figure 3. The info is corroborated a number of additional sources.

"Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC."

Corroborated here:

Last edited:
Look to figure 3. The info is corroborated a number of additional sources.

"Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC."
My point is, that article seems to consider Li-polymer to be a Li-ion cell, so it isn't clear that what was tested and what was found actually applies to 18650 cells, which is the issue that has been raised.

Reactions: Dbez1
My point is, that article seems to consider Li-polymer to be a Li-ion cell, so it isn't clear that what was tested and what was found actually applies to 18650 cells, which is the issue that has been raised.
It seems more like a typo. It's constant the rest of the article. It's also constantly similar info to numerous other sources. I guess I would just need to see anything anywhere that suggest that storing at full charge is considered best practice.

It seems more like a typo. It's constant the rest of the article. It's also constantly similar info to numerous other sources. I guess I would just need to see anything anywhere that suggest that storing at full charge is considered best practice.
But I don't see anywhere in that article (or elsewhere on that site under the same heading) that distinguishes between Li-po and Li-ion, specifically 18650s. Treating them as the same thing is exactly the issue, and I believe the specific claim is just that storing 18650s at full charge is not as damaging as it is to Li-pos.

But I don't see anywhere in that article (or elsewhere on that site under the same heading) that distinguishes between Li-po and Li-ion, specifically 18650s. Treating them as the same thing is exactly the issue, and I believe the specific claim is just that storing 18650s at full charge is not as damaging as it is to Li-pos.
I added more sources to my previous post. One specifically mentions the Samsung 18650 and corroborated the article. I think they mentioned lithium polymer by mistake. They are specially referring to Cobalt based lithium ion batteries (same as Samsung 18650s) as stated in several places.

I am not trying to convince you of anything. I just can't find info that supports your position. Which was in fact the same as mine until I started to do some digging.

This is just diluting the OPs thread so I will let others decide for themselves now
that I have shared what I dug up.

Last edited:
My Nikon D7100 DSLR uses Li-Ion batteries and I keep them fully charged all the time. After 4-5 years, they’re as good as new. For convenience, I’m keeping my MM batteries fully charged.

Last edited:
My Nikon D7100 DSLR uses Li-Ion batteries and I keep them fully charged all the time. After 4-5 years, they’re as good as new. For convenience, I’m keeping my MM batteries fully charged.
Same here leave them fully charged on my Nikon always

Reactions: Dbez1
When 18650s are used in battery packs, they're usually spot welded. What I'd really like to see would be a battery mod that allowed you to easily pop in a fresh pair of cells. I have several DIY power banks that hold 18650s just using clips similar to those used for AA batteries.
Silver solder

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_