DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do a DJI drone "fly away"?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
The only way I would ever expect for a drone to fly away if it you change the failsafe settings, or you move away from the home point WITHOUT updating the home point.

How any DJI drone fly away I have no idea. I see it as impossible as long as you have your failsafe right and you update your home point.

Reactions: Gringorio
They all look like human errors
Most of the time it is Pilot error, one of the main reasons for fly aways are loss of signal or not enough satellites. Anything outside of those factors would be considered crashes (power lost/machanical failures).

From what I have seen on this forum and others, probably 90% of crashes are pilot error. The threads always start out as "I have no idea what happened, the drone just did X" and then after analysis of flight logs, it becomes clear that the pilot overlooked something. There is a lot to pay attention to, and most of the time you're fine, but it only takes one tiny mistake sometimes. Also, drones such as the Mavic 2 have multiple redundancies built in and it's extremely rare that one of the primary flight control systems actually fail.

The only way I would ever expect for a drone to fly away if it you change the failsafe settings, or you move away from the home point WITHOUT updating the home point.

How any DJI drone fly away I have no idea. I see it as impossible as long as you have your failsafe right and you update your home point.
...one of the main reasons for fly aways are loss of signal or not enough satellites.

The expression "FlyAway" is severely abused & often used as a description for everything a drone might do that's not expected by the pilot... whatever the reason.

A FlyAway have very few valid reasons & change of failsafe settings, moving away from the launch point without a recorded HP & in most cases, losing control signal or GPS ... are mostly pure pilot errors due to either ignorance, impatiens, over-reliance in what the drone can do/handle ... or all together.

A FlyAway is something that isn't commanded ... all of the above reasons is in most cases commanded by the pilot.

A IMU that suddenly fails during flight ... inducing a yaw error which make the drone lose it's sense of heading & due to that fly off in an unknown & uncommanded direction is quite spot on for a FlyAway... meaning a rare HW failure.

But fly down low in between skyscrapers that cover most of the sky ... making the drone lose the GPS lock & reverts it to ATTI ... which the pilot can't handle, isn't a FlyAway.

Setting the failsafe to hover & fly behind something far away & losing the control signal... & the drone hovers until the battery is depleted (& something is blocking the forced low battery RTH path) ... isn't a FlyAway.

Take-off before a proper GPS lock inside a NFZ & seeing the drone force land straight down in a lake as soon as the GPS connection is established ... isn't a FlyAway.

You may also encounter some sort of electrical or microwave signal that will affect your electronics and that too might cause a "Fly Away".

Reactions: Droniac
As long as you know what your drone can and cannot do, you will safe... specially DJI drones are packed with safety feature... but, as long as you understand how GPS drone works..

as @slup mentioned. it very, very important to wait for GPS lock before take off.. also look for other setting, RTH, signal lost setting, etc...

I personally have 2 important check items before fly:
1. GPS lock (Never take off before you have "locked" GPS Homepoint)
2. Compass check (check compass from magnetic disturbance/inteference)

the rest are conditional depends on where you fly (RTH altitude for example)

They all look like human errors
Malfunctions happen. I had a fly away and it turns out the stick module burned out they told me after I sent the unit to Dji

I had a Mavic two pro fly away and after I did recover it and sent it into Dji they said it had a burned out stick module . Mechanical failures do happen Even though they are rare

Sorry I wrote the comment twice because the first time it didn’t show up?

You may also encounter some sort of electrical or microwave signal that will affect your electronics and that too might cause a "Fly Away".
Whatever signal interference you may encounter on your flight the worst it will do is to break your control signal ... which will initiate your failsafe setting. Have never seen a case where signal interference have made a craft steer off into a uncommanded direction & continue to fly.

Wouldn't call it a FlyAway at all ... it's again in the same category as flying out of LOS making you lose the control signal or flying into a location where most of the sky is covered making the drone lose GPS lock ... all reverts back to the pilot not being aware of the limitations.

Actually, their are about 75 ways to lose your drone.

Plenty of so-called flyaways are really blowaways - the drone is flown too far downwind on a windy day and can’t fly back against the headwind. Worse, if the wind is very strong, the drone can be blown even further away.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998