DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I cancel RTH

Hello Federic, I crashed my Air under the same circumstances. At 19% auto RTH kicked in and there was no response by the DJIGo4 app when I touched the red (cancel) button. Till now I have had no anwers from DJI on this issue.
This happened to me tonight. I was in control, almost had it on the ground, got the RTH warning, hit cancel, and it decided I was too slow I guess and off she went into the trees I was trying to avoid - stopped and plummeted to the earth, about 25 feet into a planter bed... she got a little dirty, she flies ok, but I will have to check camera tomorrow when we have daylight...

This happened to me tonight. I was in control, almost had it on the ground, got the RTH warning, hit cancel, and it decided I was too slow I guess and off she went into the trees I was trying to avoid - stopped and plummeted to the earth, about 25 feet into a planter bed... she got a little dirty, she flies ok, but I will have to check camera tomorrow when we have daylight...

Wow, this is a strange coincidence because the exact same thing happened to me last night as well. Flying under trees, no warning, the mavic pro shot straight up into the trees. I stopped it just short of a crash but I couldn't get the RTH to cancel as it was taking too much effort to fight it to take my hand off the control. I managed to wrestle it down to a somewhat controlled crash.

I suppose I could keep my left hand on the throttle to fight it from going up while I use my right to toggle sport mode next time.

Scary.

4 days ago my son spark flew up bec of rth triggers even it was just around 20% it hit foliage of 25ft tree then i rush to his controller and hit the pause button as it when down but luckily it hover in the air at maybe 18ft. Whew! It was scary! There was no warning at all?

4 days ago my son spark flew up bec of rth triggers even it was just around 20% it hit foliage of 25ft tree then i rush to his controller and hit the pause button as it when down but luckily it hover in the air at maybe 18ft. Whew! It was scary! There was no warning at all?
There is no warning when the battery reaches the critically low level (if that's what happened). If you're not sure, check out the flight log for more details. It should explain what happened.

Just a quick question on the setting for critically low battery. It seems that when the setting slider is all the way to the left the lowest setting is 10%. Is there a way to make that 6 or 5 percent? I realize that is cutting things close, but just curious.

Thanks
Paul C

Just a quick question on the setting for critically low battery. It seems that when the setting slider is all the way to the left the lowest setting is 10%. Is there a way to make that 6 or 5 percent? I realize that is cutting things close, but just curious.

Thanks
Paul C
I doubt it. Plus you’d be entering into damage zone for your battery - LiPos don’t like being fully drained

Plus you’d be entering into damage zone for your battery
That setting just adjusts when the critically low battery alert is displayed in DJI GO. Lowering it (or raising it) will not negatively affect the battery.

My first thought on reading this thread is that new pilots need to be more careful with the battery level, it's not like a phone that is "just fine" at 10% charge. No battery, no flight. I never launch with less than 75% charge, 3 LEDs on the battery. These RTH features from DJI are no coincidence, they are trying to prevent a pilot from flying util dead and drop from the sky.

My first thought on reading this thread is that new pilots need to be more careful with the battery level, it's not like a phone that is "just fine" at 10% charge. No battery, no flight. I never launch with less than 75% charge, 3 LEDs on the battery. These RTH features from DJI are no coincidence, they are trying to prevent a pilot from flying util dead and drop from the sky.
it wouldnt just drop,it would reserve that last tidbit of juice to land.

Have you ever seen a drone fly until the voltage of the battery dropped off? The ESC will cut out and the drone falls from the sky. My point is that DJI built in features to prevent the drop from the sky, but if pilots ignore the obvious, and the dji calculation is off, even a Mavic would plummet. Logs of that happening have been reviewed on this forum.

Would be nice to be able to drop the drone from height and have the props allow an 'auto-rotation' like you can do on helis and emergency land these suckers the 'pro' way (use the potential energy to reverse turn the props to gain last second lift) :) then parachutes wouldn't be a necessity for advanced fliers :)

There are a few ways. You seriously need to read the owner's manual section on RTH. You can download it here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170630/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.6.zip
I had the exact same issue as Lutzdrone, it has nothing to do with reading the manual. 10 seconds after hearing the low battery warning I attempted to land my drone ( I was 25ft from the drone) the drone was 2 ft from touchdown and it ascended into trees. by the time you look down at the controller the damage is done. DJI needs to allow a quick override by any joystick movement made by the pilot. It's that simple and the software guys just don't want to rewrite the program

Would be nice to be able to drop the drone from height and have the props allow an 'auto-rotation' like you can do on helis and emergency land these suckers the 'pro' way (use the potential energy to reverse turn the props to gain last second lift) :) then parachutes wouldn't be a necessity for advanced fliers :)
Not going to happen without a more complicated rotor head. The blades would have to twist to negative pitch so that they windmill, then just before landing twist back to positive, then the kinetic energy stored in the rotors keeps them turning to generate lift to slow the descent.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d