DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do I Sell my Drone and Collect My Money?

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I'm sure that this has been asked before but searching for advise was non-productive. So, guys, I have decided to finally let my precious baby go! Yes, I am going to keep the new M3 and sell my trusty Mavic 2 Pro. This is not about the sale yet. It is about how in the heck can I get my money! Rather than cough up $$$ to eBay and Pal Pal, I know about Zelle and use it, and I have a Pay Pal account which takes 2.9% off the top. How can I list my classified ad and be assured that I will get my money without getting ripped off by 3rd party collectors? I do not understand Venmo, but Zelle is easy. Anybody? (USA sales only).
Dale

I'm sure that this has been asked before but searching for advise was non-productive. So, guys, I have decided to finally let my precious baby go! Yes, I am going to keep the new M3 and sell my trusty Mavic 2 Pro. This is not about the sale yet. It is about how in the heck can I get my money! Rather than cough up $$$ to eBay and Pal Pal, I know about Zelle and use it, and I have a Pay Pal account which takes 2.9% off the top. How can I list my classified ad and be assured that I will get my money without getting ripped off by 3rd party collectors? I do not understand Venmo, but Zelle is easy. Anybody? (USA sales only).
Dale
I would start by advertising it here in the classified section. That is how I sold my Mavic Air. Also, PayPal is easy and works great!

How can I list my classified ad and be assured that I will get my money without getting ripped off by 3rd party collectors?

As you say, you do not want money taken off the top. It seems that a lot of sites have increased their rates due to the increased use during the pandemic…

I would offer Craigslist as an option, it's easy to use, and there are no fees…

But the one issue some sellers have is the Face-to-Face meeting of the buyer and there are plenty of scary stories of sellers being robbed. Our local police station offers a trade/exchange zone in their parking lot under surveillance, which thwarts potential robbers.

If your community does not have such a place, contact the police, non-emergency phone number (NO 911 Calls…) and ask for suggestions. There might even be a community swap meet that you could meet up at (lots of people, you would not be alone)…

Your one issue is that you will need to demonstrate it and possibly let the buyer try it, if you do, be sure to set the MAX Height and Distance that your drone can fly… I do this when the Grandkids fly, then I do not have to keep so "constant" an eye on what they are doing and they cannot bother the neighbors…

In the advertisement, Also, spell out that your Drone is registered with the Federal Government (FAA). That the sale is As-Is, No Returns (you do not want them crashing the drone and then claiming it was defective…). Tell them your price is FIRM, any and all use, defects, scratches, marks, etc… have been factored into the selling price.

Take lots of Photos, many angles, include all items, Drone, Controller, Batteries, Accessories, Paperwork, Cases, etc…

Make sure the advertisement spells out: Price is $XXX.00 Cash for all. Items will not be sold separately. This Price is NOT Negotiable. I do not take Checks, Credit Cards, Bitcoin, or Payments.

To set up an account, you only need an email address. I have 7-AOL email accounts and several Gmail accounts. You can create a Gmail Email Account just for this and then you real email address does not make it out into the Internet Swamp for SPAMS, PHISHING, and Junk Emails…

Below, is a copy of a Craigslist that I am running right now…

teak.png

As you say, you do not want money taken off the top. It seems that a lot of sites have increased their rates due to the increased use during the pandemic…

But the one issue some sellers have is the Face-to-Face meeting of the buyer and there are plenty of scary stories of sellers being robbed. Our local police station offers a trade/exchange zone in their parking lot under surveillance, which thwarts potential robbers.

If your community does not have such a place, contact the police, non-emergency phone number (NO 911 Calls…) and ask for suggestions. There might even be a community swap meet that you could meet up at (lots of people, you would not be alone)…

Your one issue is that you will need to demonstrate it and possibly let the buyer try it, if you do, be sure to set the MAX Height and Distance that your drone can fly… I do this when the Grandkids fly, then I do not have to keep so "constant" an eye on what they are doing and they cannot bother the neighbors…

In the advertisement, Also, spell out that your Drone is registered with the Federal Government (FAA). That the sale is As-Is, No Returns (you do not want them crashing the drone and then claiming it was defective…). Tell them your price is FIRM, any and all use, defects, scratches, marks, etc… have been factored into the selling price.

Take lots of Photos, many angles, include all items, Drone, Controller, Batteries, Accessories, Paperwork, Cases, etc…

Make sure the advertisement spells out: Price is $XXX.00 Cash for all. Items will not be sold separately. This Price is NOT Negotiable. I do not take Checks, Credit Cards, Bitcoin, or Payments.

To set up an account, you only need an email address. I have 7-AOL email accounts and several Gmail accounts. You can create a Gmail Email Account just for this and then you real email address does not make it out into the Internet Swamp for SPAMS, PHISHING, and Junk Emails…

View attachment 150259
That was the best answer I have ever had to a question.EVER! I am greatly appreciative. I definitely will take this into account in my ad.

Dale
Miami

That was the best answer I have ever had to a question. EVER! I am greatly appreciative.

Thank you, I appreciate your appreciation... Please leave a Tip in the Tip Jar...

jar.png

Reactions: deanbush
when you come to Miami I will buy you a cup of coffee.

By the way, I served at Langley AFB (near Yorktown) 2 years 1968-1970.

I was stationed at Langley three different times for a total of 13 of my over 30-years in the Air Force '74-78, '84-'87, and '88-'94. I was never stationed in Florida. The Wife and I are both from Upstate New York State, but we left there as we turned 20-years old. After thirty years being away, it was not home anymore and that more than anything else explains why we settled down here after I retired for the AF.

If I hit Florida, I'll remind you of this and look you up. I'm a cheap date, I'm happy with a McDonald's Senior Cup, 6-sugar and 3-creamers with Free Refiles…

I was stationed at Langley three different times for a total of 13 of my over 30-years in the Air Force '74-78, '84-'87, and '88-'94. I was never stationed in Florida. The Wife and I are both from Upstate New York State, but we left there as we turned 20-years old. After thirty years being away, it was not home anymore and that more than anything else explains why we settled down here after I retired for the AF.

If I hit Florida, I'll remind you of this and look you up. I'm a cheap date, I'm happy with a McDonald's Senior Cup, 6-sugar and 3-creamers with Free Refiles…
I was the ophthalmologist there 1968-1970. I had orders for Viet Nam but got them changed to Langley! But they made me cover the emergency room twice a month too! I also was the only ophthalmologist for the entire peninsula- Ft. Eustis Army Base, Ft. Monroe, Newport Naval Weapons Station, Portsmouth Naval, and of course Langley. Our favorites thing was to go to Williamsburg for dinner.

Dale
So far I have bought and sold from and to trusted mem on here using PayPal’s friends and family. No charges off the top.

Reactions: snowghost
I was the ophthalmologist

The last ophthalmologist at Langley or Eustis (military or Civilian Contractor) was over 5-years ago. Over the years, they have had various visiting ophthalmologist, but the only appointments were being offered were to active duty, but since they could not keep them busy, it's easier and cheaper to send the active duty to Portsmouth… We retirees are on our own, I have Glaucoma and Cataracts and I see my ophthalmologist every three months. I was being seen in Williamsburg until last December but my ophthalmologist retired and now I see two different ones in Hampton. I'm still on the fence as to which I'll stay with…

(Joke: If I'm "Seeing" two ophthalmologists, do I really need to "see" one?), my granddaughter thought it was funny…

Craigslist would be good. My advice is that you meet the buyer in a neutral area or perhaps in the parking lot of a Miami Dade police. That way there will be activity as well as cameras just to be safe

View attachment 150259
Did all that on marketplace, selling a motorcycle w/trailer. Got all kinds of lowball offers, offers to separate, even had a “buyer” report me because I told them to read advertisement, and stop harassing me! Never did sell it.

In Canada we use e-transfer, the person making the purchase use their bank app to send the funds to you. Your app for your bank opens the message from the buyer. Your app then lets you make choice of the bank account you want to transfer the money to. click your bank account to review the transfer, 100% safe.

I've never sold anything so expensive but I use Facebook. For safety I have the buyer give me a phone call. I get to research the calling phone number and I talk to the buyer to learn as much as a can, including approximately where the buyer lives. If they buyer won't give the information then it's a no deal. I don't do meets off site. I actually have the buyer show up at my house in a gated community. Learn all you can about the buyer in advance; if you feel unsafe, then no deal. For an off-site meet, even at a police station, the buyer can follow you after the money exchange. The buyer also needs to trust the seller.

Dale
Offer up app is pretty good
Dale
Offer up app ?

Dale
Offer up app is pretty good
Dale
Offer up app ?
Dale
Offer up app?

I’ve sold 15 drones on Craigslist. All face to face at home, all other buyers are fraud. Takes a bit longer sometimes but they always sell if you match or beat others offered. Usually 1 to 30 days and do a test flight and instructions for buyer. Offering a 30 day guarantee on batteries has been the difference for some sales. I let them know that I can tell if they have been misused. Good luck, hard to let your babies go. Still have way too many myself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum