DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you confirm if you’re in a legal fly zone (U.S.)

You could just learn to read charts and look there. You can go to SkyVector and look at the charts online. If you are ever going to go for you107 then you need to learn them anyway. B4UFly and Airmap only show you a big circle in all cases but you can see what the airspace really is if you are looking at the charts.

IMHO B4UFly is garbage.

IMHO B4UFly is garbage.
I agree with you BigA. At B4UFly it says my house is in Class E to surface but in reality I am in Class G and the E extends down to 700 AGL. Airmap says I am required to notify ATC. Only problem is there isn't a tower at that airport. Now I call the airport manager, and actually we have an agreement in place, but what is on the two apps is wrong. Also one of the locations that I like to go fly from is near an old private airport that has been close for many years. In fact, part of the runway is in a housing development now. But both B4UFly and Airmap say I need to contact the airport. Ok what airport? Maybe I should find out the phone number for one of the houses that is directly on the old runway site and call them. LOL

Agree thier was a private strip next to some fields we farm but it’s grown up in trees

Agree thier was a private strip next to some fields we farm but it’s grown up in trees
I have one of those as well. The guy used it as an old crop duster field. I also have another one that half of the field is covered by a factory. The airport closed in the 80's but it is still on one of the apps.

The one that gets me on Airmap is the Power Plants. It took me a while to figure out that every place there is a solar farm they call it a power plant.

Study the FAA Rules and regulations and use one of these [emoji106]

6d3005d004477c56d0ae2e2f093cbcd3.jpg

Reactions: BigDaddyP
If you are completely updated firmware and software, your screen in the go4 app will tell you if you are in or close to a no fly zone. In my experience so far, it has NEVER restricted me from flying anywhere. I'll have to drive out next to the airport and try a flight. (small airport, has a tower but not sure if its manned anymore) But that is an above ground view that I have had many times out of a window of an airplane, and not really an interesting place to fly drones anyway.

I have to say, there is a sort of romantic appeal for me to study hard and get an actual pilots license, and then carry a flight bag full of paper maps to study before every flight with my less than 1 pound aircraft at the dizzying altitude of 400ft and within my line of sight.
It would make me feel way more important I think. But I will hold off on the urge to do so. :D

acOj
I’ve been grounded a couple of times because of Presidential visits to his country club in NJ.
920d228cf81e941c31b360ffbf03c5c6.jpg
Thanks for that, we dont get many presidential visits out in the middle west.

Xtreme Drone Pilot;

Screenshot was taken in my back yard, attempting to just hover around a little, not fly the 4 3/4 miles NW to buzz POTUS. And it was my Spark no less.
But yes I can imagine maybe something like an Inspire might be doable flight, so could be a threat, but a Spark?
Personally speaking, the fact that DJI can implement this level of safety, keeping the hobby safe for the general public, VIP’s and pilots alike is outstanding.

Reactions: BigAl07
Screenshot was taken in my back yard, attempting to just hover around a little, not fly the 4 3/4 miles NW to buzz POTUS. And it was my Spark no less.
But yes I can imagine maybe something like an Inspire might be doable flight, so could be a threat, but a Spark?

Rules are rules. TFRs don't differentiate aircraft. If you just want to hover in your backyard when TFR is in effect, you can just use easy methods to disable NFZ restriction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying