DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you handle people who tell you you're not allowed to fly your drone, when you know it's allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people just want to cause trouble. I was hassled about a year ago just taking pics outside on a public walkway with a 360 cam, not even a drone. Some dude came up to me and said I know what that is and you do not have permission to film me. You are invading my space.
There is only one correct response to someone like this, and note the utter absence of addressing HIS issue at all:
"Help! Help! You are assaulting me, and I am afraid for my safety. Get away from me, or I will call 911. I am recording your assault on me!"​

Repeat over the top of anything they say. Do not let them get a word in.

Yes, it feels extreme, but a few facts:
  • You do not have the option to clock the dude.
  • Arguing with them won't work... That's what they want. By confronting you, they've already shown a confrontation and argument is a price they're willing to pay.
  • Give them a reason to disengage and walk away. Getting caught up with the police in an assault charge will always do it. Your showing, out of the gate, your eager to take this much farther than they are, believe me.
Try to be nice and explain where they're wrong WON'T WORK. They already know. How many times do you think this jerk has tried this, and been corrected? They just want things their way, even when they know they have no right. They use aggression and intimidation to try to force what they want. They're narcissists.

Reactions: Skyryder
Well, you can "what if" all day. If they approached me in a calm manner, I probably
would say sometrhing like: "Thank you, I'll just finish what I am doing, just take a few more minutes, then be gone. Sure appreciate you mentioning it to me. Or, shut down right away and be gone to a better place to fly. Even relate that you are flying under certain conditions
for your training in emergencies. Various approaches, stay calm and use your head.

Reactions: MS Coast
Well, the police in my town, actually, it's a big city wont come unless someone is hurt. They wont even come for a car accident unless you or the other person claim to be hurt. I got into a fender bender once and the guy who hit me refused to show me his ID. They just said report it to the insurance company. Unless it's so bad you need a tow truck or blocking traffic.

Well, the police in my town, actually, it's a big city wont come unless someone is hurt.

If police are only reactive and not proactive, the system / society is broken then.
If you ever find yourself in that situation again, you'll have to do what you did before, or stand your ground.
Not an ideal place to be in either way.

Its situational. If its some Billy Bob its one thing, if it LEO its another.

I once Had a fish and game officer tell me I was breaking the law. He asked if I had read the law. I said I had and didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I took the time to explain the law as I understood it. I explained that all my videos were on the microchip and asked him to just take that and view the videos to see that I wasn’t doing anything wrong. He confiscated my drone. I gave him two weeks and then asked for it back. He called me and explained his position, apologized then expedited it back to me. The problem we’re seeing is that drones for many are relatively new and people don’t know much About them. So they complain and take the hard stance.
There is no way I would allow him to take my drone. I’d be in handcuffs before I allowed that. And I’d sue the pants off them.

Reactions: snowghost
I think it's good idea to first say (if applicable) 'Give me a minute or 2 to safely land the drone, so we can talk'. This gives them some time to cool off (if possible), so return the drone slowly. When the drone returns, either hover it above their reach or pick it up and hold it in hand in case they want to damage it.

First.. be sure you didn't miss something. I was flying in an unoccupied soccer field and was approached by a park worker once. I didn't see the small sign on one of the light posts at the field entrance because I entered the field from a trail behind the field. The sign was really small though.

Second. People that approach you that aren't official are looking for a reaction. Just thank them and remain focused on flying properly. If they get too close or badger you then land and leave or call the police. Not worth it to find out of someone will become physical or not.

I don't have that issue too often. On the rare occasion Im using my drone in places near other people, they are typically more interested in seeing what's on my screen than the drone. When people have started yelling or getting upset, I calmly and nicely show them several apps that say that yes, I can use a drone here while explaining I am a professional filmmaker and am very careful about where I fly.

I’ve only had one approach me while working, as my drone hovered over his house while getting shots of his neighbors house.

As I’m standing between the 2 houses in question he asked me why is there a drone over my (his) house? I simply stated that his neighbors realtor hired me to take photos of his neighbor’s house which is going up for sale. I’ll only be a total of 15-20 minutes pointing my drone at the clients house and I’ll be done.

Without a word he just went back inside his own house.

My area has a beautiful national conservatory (Red Rock in Las Vegas) which is BLM run and DOES allow drones. I have people with a little knowledge tell me it’s not allowed in National Parks. I encourage them to please Google it, this park posts “Drones allowed, please be respectful to wildlife and other guests”.

I’ve thought about this for I’m sure it will come up again. I think my last resort line will be something like lf you think I’m not allowed, please call the FAA and report me.” Most people won’t bother to try and figure out who or how to contact the FAA in these matters.

I like Skywatchers idea, although often these days it seems facts and evidence doesn’t matter when people “feel” they are right. My jobs tend to be time restrictive so I can make my next appointment, and I need to conserve batteries if I’m capturing multiple locations. So my interactions must short and to the point.

Last edited:
There is only one correct response to someone like this, and note the utter absence of addressing HIS issue at all:
"Help! Help! You are assaulting me, and I am afraid for my safety. Get away from me, or I will call 911. I am recording your assault on me!"​

Repeat over the top of anything they say. Do not let them get a word in.

Yes, it feels extreme, but a few facts:
  • You do not have the option to clock the dude.
  • Arguing with them won't work... That's what they want. By confronting you, they've already shown a confrontation and argument is a price they're willing to pay.
  • Give them a reason to disengage and walk away. Getting caught up with the police in an assault charge will always do it. Your showing, out of the gate, your eager to take this much farther than they are, believe me.
Try to be nice and explain where they're wrong WON'T WORK. They already know. How many times do you think this jerk has tried this, and been corrected? They just want things their way, even when they know they have no right. They use aggression and intimidation to try to force what they want. They're narcissists.

I agree with you completely. Trying to reason with and prove your point to these people is futile.

As a general rule, there is a lot of power and fun in politely saying “no.” If some random person tells you you can’t fly your drone there, you simply state “that is incorrect.” If they persist, you politely ask him to leave you alone. If they threaten to call law-enforcement, tell them to go ahead. Obviously this depends on the person being intellectually honest and knowing they have the right to fly where they are flying. If confronted by law-enforcement, politely ask them to prove what they are saying. Then explain the FAA has sole jurisdiction over airspace, and show them on B4UFLY that you’re allowed.

Back to politely declining. It’s one of the greatest strategies in life. People don’t know what to do. I say “no thanks” all the time. If I’m told I have to, I just say “I don’t have to do anything.” Politely. The other braids strategy is to ask a question that they don’t want to answer. My dad flies electric and giant scale RC. He also has a seaplane. He was flying off the lake in his planned community (Florida), which there no rules against. Someone asked him if he had permission to fly there. He simply responded “why would I need permission?” That was that.

I can’t say on this post, but I’ll put it simple I pretty much tell him beat it if that’s all you’ve got to do is harass me maybe you need to take your medication

There is no way I would allow him to take my drone. I’d be in handcuffs before I allowed that. And I’d sue the pants off them.
I wouldn't either. At the very least I'd demand a supervisor be called in.

Reactions: PixelMagic
I had this happen in public space where I was flying over whats going to be the new Amazon warehouse or Fakebook building in Mesa, AZ. He approached me and told me I can't fly over their construction area. Here's the video link to the confrontation.

Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
I keep a few copies of an article written by an attorney called "The Photographer's Right" in my bag. I'll usually ask them to read it. A drone is a flying camera. Most people have a camera on their phone. Are they allowed to take pictures? What if they use a selfie stick or stand on a ladder, or climb onto a roof or climb a mountain? As long as I'm not doing anything illegal with my drone camera (like peeping in windows or taking closeups of people in a fenced in yard,) my camera is no different than theirs. Can they stop someone in a light plane with a telephoto lens from taking pictures?

I'm a minimalist.
"Show me..."

Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
In my case, Id tell them that the drone weighs 240g (Dji Mini2) and advise them that if they don't know the significance of that, then its up to them to go and spend some time to find out :)

As a general rule, there is a lot of power and fun in politely saying “no.” If some random person tells you you can’t fly your drone there, you simply state “that is incorrect.” If they persist, you politely ask him to leave you alone. If they threaten to call law-enforcement, tell them to go ahead. Obviously this depends on the person being intellectually honest and knowing they have the right to fly where they are flying. If confronted by law-enforcement, politely ask them to prove what they are saying. Then explain the FAA has sole jurisdiction over airspace, and show them on B4UFLY that you’re allowed.
Just to be clear, I was addressing the fellow that was harassed out in public taking video with a 360 camera on the ground, not flying a drone. Some Karen was harassing the victim because they hadn't given their permission to have their picture taken.

I have one, and only one polite response for such people, and after that bullet's been shot, it's pure postal after that. Not 'cause I'm explosive or something, rather I firmly believe people like that are never given a reason THEY comprehend to back off of their narcissistic self-importance.

I see it as an opportunity. 😁

I can’t say on this post, but I’ll put it simple I pretty much tell him beat it if that’s all you’ve got to do is harass me maybe you need to take your medication
That will simply escalate the situation with people like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman