DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do YOU physically store your drone batteries for long periods?

Inside a fireproof bag in a bullet box. 54% of charge. Almost 2 years and no problems.View attachment 80281View attachment 80282

I use the same storage method except I use 50-cal ammo boxes and cut about a 2-in long piece of the lid gasket out along the hinge side of the box. Removing the gasket will let the gas liberated during a battery failure out so the ammo box is less likely to confine the pressure and explode like a bomb.

I think new LiPo batteries must be relatively safe if undamaged and stored at the specified storage voltage. There must be millions of them in shipping containers, stacked up in stores, factories, hobby stores, etc. that don’t fail or we would be hearing about it.

On the other hand, the ones we have in service are probably more likely to have been abused one way or another and most batteries, including LiPos, self discharge and the chemistry/danger changes with time.

In any case, there’s probably always some degree of risk with LiPos, so end users should store them in fire resistant places.

Reactions: GGehret
I use the same storage method except I use 50-cal ammo boxes and cut about a 2-in long piece of the lid gasket out along the hinge side of the box. Removing the gasket will let the gas liberated during a battery failure out so the ammo box is less likely to confine the pressure and explode like a bomb.

I think new LiPo batteries must be relatively safe if undamaged and stored at the specified storage voltage. There must be millions of them in shipping containers, stacked up in stores, factories, hobby stores, etc. that don’t fail or we would be hearing about it.

On the other hand, the ones we have in service are probably more likely to have been abused one way or another and most batteries, including LiPos, self discharge and the chemistry/danger changes with time.

In any case, there’s probably always some degree of risk with LiPos, so end users should store them in fire resistant places.
I will be storing mine that way too, except that I drilled four 3/8 inch holes in the top of the ammo box. I'm also going to set the box on a brick or cinder block slab. I am wondering too if I should store my controllers that way too. Any ideas???

Thanks for the info. DJI support told me to check them every 5 days...that's REALLY inconvenient, I think. :)
I find the whole business of needing to check battery condition for my drone something of a pain. My main interest in having a drone is for photography, but I've lost count of the number of days when the light or some other condition was just perfect for a shot but my drone batteries were too low to fly. My 'normal' camera batteries can handle this situation without any problem.
The DJI products seem to have been designed first and foremost for their flying capabilities, and I accept that, so I try to charge my batteries regularly every week and keep them ready whenever I hit on a situation that's ideal for a drone shot (still or video). But this faffing about isn't necessary with any other battery-powered device I own: I respect the need for it, but it's still something of a pain! :)

I find the whole business of needing to check battery condition for my drone something of a pain. My main interest in having a drone is for photography, but I've lost count of the number of days when the light or some other condition was just perfect for a shot but my drone batteries were too low to fly. My 'normal' camera batteries can handle this situation without any problem.
The DJI products seem to have been designed first and foremost for their flying capabilities, and I accept that, so I try to charge my batteries regularly every week and keep them ready whenever I hit on a situation that's ideal for a drone shot (still or video). But this faffing about isn't necessary with any other battery-powered device I own: I respect the need for it, but it's still something of a pain! :)

I learned a new, interesting word today - faffing. Thanks!

With all due respect, you should not store your batteries fully charged since it increases your risk of fire, and shortens their life.

All devices that use LiPo batteries, including your cell phone and probably your other camera, have this problem and pose this risk. However, DJI has been kind enough to help in this respect by providing smart batteries that discharge themselves to a safe storage level - as long as you aren't topping them off every few days

I try to plan my shots so I have time to charge my batteries. I can also charge my batteries on my way to the the site using the car charging cord.

Yes, our drones are basically flying cameras and it would be nice to be able to grab them and use them on a whim or at a moment’s notice like other cameras, but then again, they aren't like other cameras. They may be more expensive, less capable as cameras, and If nothing else, certainly more likely to fall out of the sky.

In any case, please be safe and at least store your fully-charged batteries in a fire-resistant container so they are less likely to burn down your house. I would miss your British slang!

this faffing about isn't necessary with any other battery-powered device I own: I respect the need for it, but it's still something of a pain! :)
The other devices you own don't impose the same performance demands on the battery chemistry.

This is not a battery specific issue- all your devices that use LiION batteries will have the cells degraded to the same or similar accelerated extent by your less than optimum care and use conditions. The difference is you probably won't notice.

The capacity loss and impact of increased internal resistance becomes significantly more relevant to performance as connected load increases. Internal losses obviously increase with current with IR increasing with temperature- voltage quickly sags and the effected cell(s) rapidly fail in their capacity to power the load. The same cell might deliver close to its rated capacity at lower current delivery requirements. The higher the power requirement of the connected device the greater the impact of cumulative damage in contributing to failure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake