DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do YOU physically store your drone batteries for long periods?

DO you close the ammo box tightly as constructed. I read somewhere???? that person said don't close it tightly--could build up pressure and explode if fire does start inside. Just wondering how you use your ammo box. :) Thks
I drill a small hole in the top of the box to release any pressure buildup.

Reactions: GGehret
Keeping my new ones in the fridge to hopefully stop them swelling after 6 months.

Excellent idea. So, I think that's what I"ll do. I'm putting them all in fireproof bags then getting an ammo box. THat would work better for my situation than the cinder blocks, albeit I think that's a great idea! :)

Keeping my new ones in the fridge to hopefully stop them swelling after 6 months.
I read that they can be stored that way too. I was wondering if that really was a truly viable option--in plastic bags, however.

Cant see any reason for plastic bags. Fridge is 4 degrees.
I read where the plastic bag helps protect from moisture, and then when you take the batteries out of the frig., leave them sit in the bag until it all becomes room temp., then open it and charge them. I do the same with any of my camera lenses to avoid getting moisture built up in them when I'm outdoors shooting in the winter. I've NEVER had a problem, and that's pretty much standard practice with many, many other photographers I "hang" with. :)

Bags wont do anything. Just let them warm up naturally.
Same with camera lenses. I dont know a single photographer that uses bags nor anyone thats ever had a problem. Its just letting things warm up slowly.

Bags wont do anything. Just let them warm up naturally.
Same with camera lenses. I dont know a single photographer that uses bags nor anyone thats ever had a problem. Its just letting things warm up slowly.
I guess that would be fine too. It's what I was told to do over 20 years ago by a prof. photog, and I've done it ever since with no problems. I'm sure the main issue is just letting them warm naturally to room temp. Thks.

Reactions: BigAl07
I bought a rifle gun safe a few years ago. It cost a couple hundred bucks but I spend more each year on home insurance so why not. With the multiple locking bars I knew it would contain a fire and not deform. Smoke I didn’t care about as its in the garage. All my drone and RC plane & Tx batteries get stored in it including RCs. In the winter, I put a small 20w bulb in it. I sleep at night and don’t worry when away from the house.Obviously batteries are kept at 40-60%. AND I charge all my batteries in an old wood stove in the garage. No way I can watch them for hours while charging. Overkill? Probably. But I bet anyone would gladly have spent the money and have gone to the trouble to have prevented the fire that burnt their house to the ground while they were at the store. I know one such fire.

Reactions: BigAl07 and GGehret

Better make that at least a 1” dia hole. Check YouTube. There are videos there of ammo boxes deforming so much from heat the lids opened up.

OKay, I KNOW I won't get too much, if any chance to fly this winter, so that means my mavic and spark batteries will need to be "stored." I am now wondering what kind of containers, etc. you all put your batteries in for protection-- just in case, they would--God forbid--catch fire--especially when we aren't home--certainly don't want them to start burning, start a fire, or even spread toxic fumes for my dog and cat if we aren't home. I don't have a basement, so they cant be kept there, and my garage is not heated--gets below -40 and below with the windchill sometimes, so can't keep them outside, so..it's in the house....what do you all do?????THANKS!
I store my batteries in lipo bags and place them in a 50 Cal ammo can.

Better make that at least a 1” dia hole. Check YouTube. There are videos there of ammo boxes deforming so much from heat the lids opened up.

I drill a 1/2" hole...but I'll revisit after your post.

Reactions: Enlin
I keep all my LiPos at storage voltage in steel 50-cal ammo boxes from Harbor Fright or Walmart.

The regular price at Walmart is a bit lower, but Harbor Freight has 20% off coupons almost every week. The regular price is $12 to $15 per box as I recall.

Right now I have 4 boxes. I cut out about 2” of the rubber lid gasket along the hinge line to provide a vent, store the boxes on a concrete floor in the basement with the vent pointed away from the wall and combustible stuff.

There’s lots of combustible stuff in the basement, so I’m looking for a used steel gun safe that I can gut and build shelves and vertical deviders in with cement board. Each cubby will hold one 50-cal ammo box. I’ll try to arrange the shelves to divert the heat and smoke toward the back of the safe and provide a space for the heat to rise to the top and out a vent. I may vent the safe thru the basement wall since I assume the fumes from a LiPo fire are toxic and shouldn’t be breathed.

I keep all my LiPos at storage voltage in steel 50-cal ammo boxes from Harbor Fright or Walmart.

The regular price at Walmart is a bit lower, but Harbor Freight has 20% off coupons almost every week. The regular price is $12 to $15 per box as I recall.

Right now I have 4 boxes. I cut out about 2” of the rubber lid gasket along the hinge line to provide a vent, store the boxes on a concrete floor in the basement with the vent pointed away from the wall and combustible stuff.

There’s lots of combustible stuff in the basement, so I’m looking for a used steel gun safe that I can gut and build shelves and vertical deviders in with cement board. Each cubby will hold one 50-cal ammo box. I’ll try to arrange the shelves to divert the heat and smoke toward the back of the safe and provide a space for the heat to rise to the top and out a vent. I may vent the safe thru the basement wall since I assume the fumes from a LiPo fire are toxic and shouldn’t be breathed.
I don't have a basement. :-( and the garage is separate from the house and not heated, so I have no other choice but to keep them in the house. :-(

Inside a fireproof bag in a bullet box. 54% of charge. Almost 2 years and no problems.View attachment 80281View attachment 80282

Just a thought.
Most problems with these batteries are from from where they have been damaged (impact etc) or swollen.

Is it a good idea to have them all together ?
If one goes up it will probably take all the others and create quite an intense fire.

I know, it would be a pain to store them in separate lipo bags and ammo cases.

Just a thought.
Most problems with these batteries are from from where they have been damaged (impact etc) or swollen.

Is it a good idea to have them all together ?
If one goes up it will probably take all the others and create quite an intense fire.

I know, it would be a pain to store them in separate lipo bags and ammo cases.
I've thought of that too. I'm hoping having each one in a separate bag will help. I'm also wondering--I guess I'll have to store my 2 controllers too. THis is a GREAT hobby, but these batteries...….geezum!

THis is a GREAT hobby, but these batteries

Yes, when you get into it and start seeing vids of those going up, well not something you want in your bag or charging at home.

I think this was on another thread (it deserves its own really !! I will post it up in a separate thread), but it may have even been on this one . . .
Very good article about lithium batteries from Airbus, particularly how to deal with a fire incident on a plane, but apples anywhere of course.

There is a pdf download of the doc on the top of that page, very good to download and read up.

Yes, when you get into it and start seeing vids of those going up, well not something you want in your bag or charging at home.

I think this was on another thread (it deserves its own really !! I will post it up in a separate thread), but it may have even been on this one . . .
Very good article about lithium batteries from Airbus, particularly how to deal with a fire incident on a plane, but apples anywhere of course.

There is a pdf download of the doc on the top of that page, very good to download and read up.
Thanks for the info. I will check the links out that you provided. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake