DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does the Mini do in clouds?

In this instance i think my comment was perfectly justified ,as the OP was asking about flying in clouds, and he got several answers on the perils of doing so,,and my reason for mentioning VLOS was one of those perils

You were absolutely correct OMM. So refreshing to see that a bunch didn't turn it into a huge argument.

Reactions: old man mavic
Well, I did. And I do. So. Not accurate. on another note. This is apparently the drone used for that cloud video.
Geprc_Mark4_HD5_FPV_drone.jpg

Last edited:
I live in an area with an accessible high hill (and mountains) and regular low cloud activity. Yesterday I thought I'd go fly my drone through some wispy cloud formations.....and then chickened out and dodged around the clouds. I got to realizing that clouds are suspended water vapour and shoving an exposed device into cold steam bath might be bad. I've been told that the Mini handles light rain okay. (i'd never do it) But what about clouds? Any thoughts?
Fly 500’ below the clouds and 2000’ horizontal 3 miles visibility and you won’t have any trouble. thanks

I live in an area with an accessible high hill (and mountains) and regular low cloud activity. Yesterday I thought I'd go fly my drone through some wispy cloud formations.....and then chickened out and dodged around the clouds. I got to realizing that clouds are suspended water vapour and shoving an exposed device into cold steam bath might be bad. I've been told that the Mini handles light rain okay. (i'd never do it) But what about clouds? Any thoughts?
I flew in some high fog one day the the craft started shooting up. I think its visual sensors thought it was near the ground like when you put your hand under it to land, it elevates, but it just went up and fortunately I was able to stop the ascent quickly. But that would be scary having to wait for the batteries to die then plummet down.

Lots of water in those clouds. Bottom line...it's illegal to fly in clouds since you lose sight of the drone.

Just remember, that clouds are very dangerous - it might be hurricane inside. I lost my friend - hang gliders pilot in the cloud back in 2002

As I fly with a 2 lb monofilament strached to my fishing rod I can bypass the VLOS rules as it is a powered kite,not an RPAS....
I DO,also wonder about the moisture...and will lightning travel down the monofilament? Just asking...

As I fly with a 2 lb monofilament strached to my fishing rod I can bypass the VLOS rules as it is a powered kite,not an RPAS....
I DO,also wonder about the moisture...and will lightning travel down the monofilament? Just asking...
I believe you may want to check further into the powered tethered rules in Canada. I was informed about 8 years ago by Transport Canada that I could fly that way but the regulations still applied. There have been several updates since then but I think it's still under the usual regs.

As per the lightning, attach a key in the rain a'la Ben Franklin and you'll be doing a modern version of his experiment.

I believe you may want to check further into the powered tethered rules in Canada. I was informed about 8 years ago by Transport Canada that I could fly that way but the regulations still applied. There have been several updates since then but I think it's still under the usual regs.

As per the lightning, attach a key in the rain a'la Ben Franklin and you'll be doing a modern version of his experiment.
DARN!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf