DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How essential are the top sensors?

wco81

Reactions
Crashed my drone in Portugal, recovered it. Props were gone and some scuffs on the arms.

The only other obvious damage is to the glass cover or lenses for the two sensors at the top of the drone, the end opposite where the gimbal is.

In DJI Go 4 app, it says Visual System Error in red.

First time I tried, it said drone is disconnected. But next time I tried, I was able to start it up and fly. It seemed to operate normally while displaying this Visual System Error the entire time.

I was able to take panos and do a Hyperlapse.

I haven't been able to fully test RTH landing, because the places where I did these flights after the crash had overhead power lines so I piloted the aircraft in near Home and descended away from the power lines and guided it to land at the Home point.

Otherwise, the error doesn't seem to prevent or impede any of the drone functions.

Some people have mentioned deliberately covering up the top sensors with black tape, so that they could fly inside for instance or inside some duct work.

Also people have mentioned that in Sports Mode the sensors are off.

So I'm hoping to keep flying with the drone as-is.

I did get an estimate, $175 error and $100-200 to replace the sensors or sensor covers. So it can be as much as $400.

Now the other thing that concerns me is if the damage to the sensors or to other part of the drone which is not visible could affect its balance, like hovering when taking panos or filming hyper lapses when small precise movements are essential.

Has anyone encountered this type of error or have flown with some of the sensors off or possibly damaged (the cover or lenses over the sensors)?

Try calibratiNG your sensers in the assistant. Worked for me one time.

Crashed my drone in Portugal, recovered it. Props were gone and some scuffs on the arms.

The only other obvious damage is to the glass cover or lenses for the two sensors at the top of the drone, the end opposite where the gimbal is.

In DJI Go 4 app, it says Visual System Error in red.

First time I tried, it said drone is disconnected. But next time I tried, I was able to start it up and fly. It seemed to operate normally while displaying this Visual System Error the entire time.

I was able to take panos and do a Hyperlapse.

I haven't been able to fully test RTH landing, because the places where I did these flights after the crash had overhead power lines so I piloted the aircraft in near Home and descended away from the power lines and guided it to land at the Home point.

Otherwise, the error doesn't seem to prevent or impede any of the drone functions.

Some people have mentioned deliberately covering up the top sensors with black tape, so that they could fly inside for instance or inside some duct work.

Also people have mentioned that in Sports Mode the sensors are off.

So I'm hoping to keep flying with the drone as-is.

I did get an estimate, $175 error and $100-200 to replace the sensors or sensor covers. So it can be as much as $400.

Now the other thing that concerns me is if the damage to the sensors or to other part of the drone which is not visible could affect its balance, like hovering when taking panos or filming hyper lapses when small precise movements are essential.

Has anyone encountered this type of error or have flown with some of the sensors off or possibly damaged (the cover or lenses over the sensors)?
These are the actual sensors. Did the damage occur to this depth? Or is it just the infrared cover?
if just the cover, maybe carefully clear it all away and put a couple of layers of red packaging tape over it as a test.

Attachments

• 1B088925-5BAC-4A9C-813F-D5CF1AEB9C0C.jpeg
    1B088925-5BAC-4A9C-813F-D5CF1AEB9C0C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
The globe-like shapes are intact. It's just the cover, which I believe was flush with the body of the drone.

Really these are IR sensors?

So presumably they're only tracking objects above the drone? But would it mean the other sensors are offline as well?

The globe-like shapes are intact. It's just the cover, which I believe was flush with the body of the drone.

Really these are IR sensors?

So presumably they're only tracking objects above the drone? But would it mean the other sensors are offline as well?
This module has 6 sensors.

This module has 6 sensors.
You're referring to two at the top, two at the end (the side opposite from the gimbal and two at the bottom?

So they're one unit?

But only the two at the top have the covers gone.

You're referring to two at the top, two at the end (the side opposite from the gimbal and two at the bottom?

So they're one unit?

But only the two at the top have the covers gone.
Forgot the picture🤦🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 5D16B011-12AE-4ADF-8D39-F7C832A99CBE.jpeg
    5D16B011-12AE-4ADF-8D39-F7C832A99CBE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Like Dirk said if you can determine that all the sensors are working (they likely are) I’d be happy to send you the red plastic cover. It adheres from the topside so no need to remove the top cover.

Like I said in post 2. Unless they are visibly damaged ,clean them with a Q-tip and try doing a calibration in the assistant on your Computer. It did fix my error. Is a easy fix if it works if not move on
or ignore my advice and carry on. I was told to try that by tech’s from one of our venders and been fine every since.
Always try the easy fix first. You might be surprised or not. Good luck.
Out.
dc

OK will give it a shot.

I count 8 sensors though, 2 top, 2 bottom, 2 looking rearwards (opposite side of gimbal) and then two to the side on the end away from the gimbal.

OK will give it a shot.

I count 8 sensors though, 2 top, 2 bottom, 2 looking rearwards (opposite side of gimbal) and then two to the side on the end away from the gimbal.

Attachments

• 88A755A0-B723-4F4E-80AD-E09C2337A0B9.jpeg
    88A755A0-B723-4F4E-80AD-E09C2337A0B9.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 8
I’m sorry but thought you were talking about the M2P as that’s where you posted. What are you flying ?

Now I’m confused 😀

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998