DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high can you go? Extreme altitude test

Ian in London

Reactions
Okay.. mischievous title to get the drone police in a tizz :)
Having a great time on my trip in the mid-US and took advantage of an amazing place to fly in Wyoming. Got to well over 11,000 feet and got some amazing footage. I thought the battery would wear down pretty quick in the thin air but was on still 50% after 15 minutes.

Anyway, here's the video; amazing views and all good fun...

Cheers,
Ian

Great video editing, great spirit, great mini movie, but not the right intentions or mind set.

Don't encourage extreme altitudes. Droning is such a great hobby, with such few rules really being implemented.

Don't be that guy man. Hope to see more videos, at/or below 400ft/120m

Reactions: woesch and MrsTreat
Great video editing, great spirit, great mini movie, but not the right intentions or mind set.

Don't encourage extreme altitudes. Droning is such a great hobby, with such few rules really being implemented.

Don't be that guy man. Hope to see more videos, at/or below 400ft/120m

He took off on 10.9K mountain, he just actually climbed maybe <50'.

Man you're right. I apologize.

I've been awake for a little over 40hrs at this airport and I kinda caught myself in this vicious cycle finding people just flying drones as high as possible or within a mile of an airport or into restricted areas on purpose.

In that case I stand by my great mini movie, editing, and spirit!
(The headline is a little misleading tho, just something to consider for next time)

Lol at the title, drone police are going to pass out. Nice video man looks great, have you ever been up to wa state? Tons of epic places to fly!

Reactions: Ping^Spike
title is misleading....

Title is mischievous! Of course I can't fly up to 11,000 feet, but I had great fun taking off at 10,947 feet and, more to the point, the air really is thin up that high and I wanted to know how the Mavic woudl handle and last out....

Thanks guys; all good fun....

Ian

Okay.. mischievous title to get the drone police in a tizz :)
Having a great time on my trip in the mid-US and took advantage of an amazing place to fly in Wyoming. Got to well over 11,000 feet and got some amazing footage. I thought the battery would wear down pretty quick in the thin air but was on still 50% after 15 minutes.

Anyway, here's the video; amazing views and all good fun...

Cheers,
Ian
Stunning, mate! Well done.

Great footage Ian, nice one man! Bummer about your dodgy gimbal too - these things always happen at the worst moment, I live in fear of the first time I get mine out of the bag only to find that it won't cooperate. I guess on the bright side at least you were able to pick up a replacement relatively easily! BTW how did you transport it on the plane out of interest?

One note/question. At around 4:45 in your video, I noticed a problem that I've seen in a couple of my own vids. The cloud shadow sweeping the foreground has a very jerky movement to it. I assume that this is a weakness in DJI's codec implementation, as they've assumed that the image won't be changing that dramatically. Do you have any insight into this sort of issue, and ideally a fix?!? Cheers man, jason

Great footage Ian, nice one man! Bummer about your dodgy gimbal too - these things always happen at the worst moment, I live in fear of the first time I get mine out of the bag only to find that it won't cooperate. I guess on the bright side at least you were able to pick up a replacement relatively easily! BTW how did you transport it on the plane out of interest?

One note/question. At around 4:45 in your video, I noticed a problem that I've seen in a couple of my own vids. The cloud shadow sweeping the foreground has a very jerky movement to it. I assume that this is a weakness in DJI's codec implementation, as they've assumed that the image won't be changing that dramatically. Do you have any insight into this sort of issue, and ideally a fix?!? Cheers man, jason
Thanks Jason

I've looked at the video; I don't fully know what's caused that. I shot it at 30fps but I agree it looks more like 10 fps on the video for the cloud movement, but everything else looks smooth... Some of my other videos (eg Action Shots) has a lot of fast moving footage and this doesn't seem to be an issue there, so I'm not too sure.
Cheers
Ian

Reactions: Freedom 1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S