DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Overheated?

Tom Cohen

Reactions
7th of August 2019,
Yesterday my Mavic Pro 2 got the error "Processor chip critically overheated..." in mid air flying above a lake
(Normal mode, Recording video, 82 degrees & barely any wind, aircraft calibrated before flight)
which then automatically initiated Return-To-Home.
I noticed the drone was gaining altitude because of RTH, decided to cancel and try manually flying back in attempt to land safely & faster. (i also had around %14 battery)
i had to tap the cancel button multiple times because RTH was initiating again and again alongside the very stressing error.. eventually and luckily i managed to fly it close enough to me and safely land it with one hand holding down the left stick (to lower the Mavics height) while "fighting" RTH with the other hand taping the red "X" to cancel RTH which kept trying to bring it back to the exact home point.(like 15 feet away)
anyway after safely landing i immediately turned it off and took it inside to the ac.
did not notice any crazy heat..no burnt smell, temperature was reading 39 Cº after powering on again + fans were working as normal. looked around everything seemed ok,
and in short - NOW IT WONT FLY.
EVERYTHING ON MY MAVIC LOOKS AS GOOD AS NEW , IT TURNS ON NORMALLY, CAMERA, GIMBAL, LEDS AND FANS ALL WORKING AS I REMEMBER FROM DAY 1 BUT I SIMPLY HAVE THAT ERROR PREVENTING MAVIC FROM TAKING OFF *NO MATTER WHAT.
Yes i have contacted DJI SUPPORT Online, told the guy what happened he instructed me to install dji assistant, refresh the firmware and finally to recalibrate IMU but unfortunately i am left waiting for DJI's Engineering team to respond to my flight records for further instructions.
I have truly enjoyed using this drone so far and have always been extremely careful with it, now i am really frustrated hoping this could be some kind of software issue maybe (?) Doubt it..
I really don't feel like sending this in, especially after reading a ton of complaints stories online - regarding faulty drones, returns, failed replacements and DJI'S "not so very satisfying" support.
as i can see there are a few more reports about the same error/problem
I will update asap .. wish me luck \:

First off... WELCOME to the forum Tom.

I would highly suggest you get in contact with @djidroneservice as they can give you a FREE evaluation.

True, but can they cover DJI warranty repairs? I know they have the equivalent of Refresh, but if I were a repair center, I couldn't cover warranties if I wasn't reimbursed by the manufacturer.

Problably fan doesnt work due dust....you can try use a air pistol...

Reactions: _gonzales_
If you send it to DJI and it’s under warranty you have high odds you will get a refurbished drone returned not a repaired original. If you have a good camera on your current M 2 pro I would consider getting it repaired locally. If in the US also consider:

Also curious if you can post your fight record from that flight. I fly in much warmer conditions (yesterday 98 degree heat index 105). 100 percent humidity. Drone gets hot to touch and battery gets very warm but so far not warning like OP received.

There are many experts in this site that might be able to shed more light on what may have happened.

At 14 percent remaining battery I have had to a few times over ride the auto landing feature which should kick in at critical low battery level which is set to 10 percent on my drone. You may have been fighting that along with the attempted RTHs

Paul C

I have noticed that the belly of the AC does get very hot on my M2P also. I do alot of hand catch landings. Please keep us informed. Any news will be appreciated.

Yesterday my Mavic Pro 2 got the error "Processor chip critically overheated..."

Did you have a swollen battery?
Because this is what happened to me. The swollen battery pushed down in the battery compartment and
apparently made the processor fan stop intermittently . After landing I kept the drone on and with a slight downward push on the battery I could hear how the fan stopped. Interesting was that there was no way to stop the RTH procedure. I tried everything - no chance.

I have six batteries, each was used around 30 full flights. Three of them started swelling recently.
Those are garbage now.

Warning.jpg

I had this error and also couldn't stop RTH. As I'm on older firmware on my M2P, no precision landing and it tried to set down on my roof.
It wasn't responding to any input (even switching modes) other than swipe to confirm landing. Luckily I just lost two propellers when it contacted the pitched concrete tile roof and flipped over onto its back... sliding towards its doom, but stopping conveniently right at the edge where I easily retrieved it.

Turning it on would always result in that error after seconds or minutes. It would then shut itself off and the belly was hot. The fan was not coming on.

I popped open the top cover and found that dried leaf material somehow got sucked into the fan and was obstructing it. I cleaned it out and the fan now kicks on and all is fine.
Not sure how common this problem/solution is, so I'm just leaving this here in case someone else finds it helps them too.

Reactions: Thomas B
Did you have a swollen battery?
Because this is what happened to me. The swollen battery pushed down in the battery compartment and
apparently made the processor fan stop intermittently . After landing I kept the drone on and with a slight downward push on the battery I could hear how the fan stopped. Interesting was that there was no way to stop the RTH procedure. I tried everything - no chance.

I have six batteries, each was used around 30 full flights. Three of them started swelling recently.
Those are garbage now.

View attachment 79821

Any chance you can find out the manufacture dates of the batteries and post it in this thread:

A lot of people with certain date batteries are getting swelling with limited cycles.

Any chance you can find out the manufacture dates of the batteries and post it in this thread:

A lot of people with certain date batteries are getting swelling with limited cycles.

I have disposed 5 swollen batteries by now. They were all manufactured in July + August 2018.

OK thats 5 more to add to the list. Evidence is growing stronger...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona