DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high up in the tree is it?

Well, you have until Wednesday because you know the first place I'm going when I get the new one is right back over there to see if I can see it and I won't switch over the care plan until I have given up on the old one. I wonder if I can hook up a grappling hook to the new mini to try and lift the other one out?
You are not going to be able to lift a drone, with a drone the same size. ;)

Rod

I could use the camera, start stop the motors, until the battery died.
When the tree let it go, it was in five pieces.

I had a plan but things didn't work out, time, weather, etc.
This one of many.

Rod
I bought a grappling hook for my Inspire1 in case I ever had to rescue my Mavic, but I worried that, without some sort of release mechanism, I could grab something else (like a branch) and then not be able to let it go. So, it required either a release mechanism (and they are commercially available) or a very long line to the hook that would allow landing if it got caught on something. But in the case above, that would require a 200+' line. And a 400' altitude, minimum. Not very practical, and probably very tough to make small adjustments in the hook position.

Reactions: RodPad
I bought a grappling hook for my Inspire1 in case I ever had to rescue my Mavic, but I worried that, without some sort of release mechanism, I could grab something else (like a branch) and then not be able to let it go. So, it required either a release mechanism (and they are commercially available) or a very long line to the hook that would allow landing if it got caught on something. But in the case above, that would require a 200+' line. And a 400' altitude, minimum. Not very practical, and probably very tough to make small adjustments in the hook position.

You were short 1 crossbow, and 1 ditty bag full of rappelling gear. :)

Yes a was going to use fish line, here is short summary of my plan. ;)
It Finally Happened!

@OOO, o_O

Rod

Yes a was going to use fish line, here is short summary of my plan. ;)
It Finally Happened!

@OOO, o_O

Rod
When my first Toy drone got stuck high up in a white pine I eventually got it by taping fishing line to a tennis ball, and then used a tennis racquet to hit the ball over the drone, and then yanked on the line till I shook it from the tree. All this (and the preceding failing attempts to actually hit it with a tennis ball and knock it out of the tree) was a huge source of amusement to my wife.

Reactions: ABHIII and RodPad
I wonder how much it would be for round-trip airfare for my tree climbing, buddy. I'll show him a picture of the tree.
Call the fire department and tell them that there is a cat in the tree and you can hear it beeping. Or the power company cuz they're Sparks coming out of the top of the tree. Maybe one of their lineman that's used to climbing power poles. Just a thought.

Tree climbers don’t come cheap. I start ed climbing telephone poles 40+ years ago. Pole gaff hooks won’t work on trees; the hooks used on tree gaffs are 2x the length, to penetrate the bark.

I say go with the fire dept idea.

Say it’s a kitten.

Tree climbers don’t come cheap. I start ed climbing telephone poles 40+ years ago. Pole gaff hooks won’t work on trees; the hooks used on tree gaffs are 2x the length, to penetrate the bark.

I say go with the fire dept idea.

Say it’s a kitten.
Have a friend the was a professional tree guy - the state he lives in doesn't allow gaffs to be used on live trees that aren't being taken down.

When my first Toy drone got stuck high up in a white pine I eventually got it by taping fishing line to a tennis ball, and then used a tennis racquet to hit the ball over the drone, and then yanked on the line till I shook it from the tree. All this (and the preceding failing attempts to actually hit it with a tennis ball and knock it out of the tree) was a huge source of amusement to my wife.

This would be great if I could see the drone but it's too high to even see it.

This would be great if I could see the drone but it's too high to even see it.
I was just sharing...I'm not suggesting that you stand precariously on a cliff wall and swing a tennis racket, even if you could see it.

I was just sharing...I'm not suggesting that you stand precariously on a cliff wall and swing a tennis racket, even if you could see it.

No cliffs just way too high to even attempt hitting a tennis ball over it. Also it's about 50' from the lake in one direction, a house in one direction and a hotel in the other. I can't even fly the drone accurately through there let alone hitting a tennis ball... :)

I got my new drone today and flew up and looked for the other drone in the tree but couldn't find it. I'm thinking that maybe it blew down, we had high winds the last couple days. Somebody probably picked it up and took it, I did have "For Reward Call" and then my phone number in big letters printed right on top of it so maybe they'll call me. I'd be happy with just getting the SD Card and Battery back...

Reactions: RodPad
Sorry no Habla Espanol
translation using google translate French to English.

I lost my mini in a very large tree. I can hear the beep but I can't see it. I found an arborist who will climb the tree to look for it. Is there any way to tell how high the tree was when it crashed? By the time I return, the battery will likely be dead and I will not be able to beep. I also received a message that the processor is overheating and I need to turn it off, but I can't do it, so it could be burned by the time I get there.
[/QUOTE]
hello the height of a different tree () courage if you hold out the bis it's a good sign

I have some good news. I had written across the top of the drone in big letters: "Call For Reward" and my phone number. I got a call and a guy had found it, I just about had to force the guy to take the $25 I had on me. Unfortunately, it sat out in the weather for almost a month and it's snowed since then so the motors and gimbal were stuck. I worked them free and it flies, the gimbal is still a bit sticky but the biggest problem is it is crooked and won't level out. I did buy the Care package so at least I can turn it in for a new one or just keep it for parts since I already bought (and crashed) a new one...

Reactions: m80116
For the refresh money I'd get a new one and have two, or sale one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB