DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high up in the tree is it?

BushWacker

Reactions
I lost my mini in a very tall tree. I can hear the beep but I can't see it. I found an arborist that will climb the tree to look for it. Is there a way to tell how high up the tree it was when it crashed? By the time I get back out there, the battery will probably be dead and I won't be able to make it beep. I also got a message the processor is overheating and to turn it off but I can't do that so it might be burnt up by the time I get to it.

Reactions: xspwhite
I lost my mini in a very tall tree. I can hear the beep but I can't see it. I found an arborist that will climb the tree to look for it. Is there a way to tell how high up the tree it was when it crashed? By the time I get back out there, the battery will probably be dead and I won't be able to make it beep. I also got a message the processor is overheating and to turn it off but I can't do that so it might be burnt up by the time I get to it.
Post your recorded flight data and it might have enough clues to work out how high up the drone is.

I also got a message the processor is overheating and to turn it off

So a stationary powered on mini is overheating ?
That is a worry, and would seem most unlikely, haven't seen that mentioned anywhere before in threads of any Mavic model.
The motors would be shutdown presumably, but even if ticking over (you'd hear that ?) it should be able to idle without risk to any electronics.

It's possible telemetry in the logs will reveal and approx altitude, vs the ground at site, so good luck.
If you have it, I would post up the GPS co ords you may have taken from site (by other mapping means), in case the end position is slightly different to what the Fly app told you.

Reactions: Gindra
If you have it, I would post up the GPS co ords you may have taken from site (by other mapping means), in case the end position is slightly different to what the Fly app told you.
The recorded flight data contains GPS location data for every 1/10th of a second from starting the drone.
That's all that's needed.

I dont know why these trees seem to like drones so much.
Me ether and my Mini is being fixed because of one now.Have climbed them to get them out and not even going to say how I got this one out. Took MP up to take the picture though. :D
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 10.20.05 PM.png

Me ether and my Mini is being fixed because of one now.Have climbed them to get them out and not even going to say how I got this one out. Took MP up to take the picture though. :D
View attachment 93293

Phantom ?
Or is your mini in there somewhere and that's someone elses Phantom ?? Lol ? :p
No think this was just a previous encounter, ha ha.

Phantom ?
Or is your mini in there somewhere and that's someone elses Phantom ?? Lol ? :p
No think this was just a previous encounter, ha ha.
P3 4K and I had it stuck right in that fork.
Mini in shop because of testing how fast I could stick it.
Now if op will post that log we could see how high it is.

Mini does not have internal cooling fan

Wow, so many reasons I am going more and more off the mini now.
Figure they needed to leave it out to get the sub 250g, but adjusting settings etc on the ground, or even with it flying, if it has to moving if longer than 10 mins or so tweaking things, that's a negative for me.
Surprised it would overheat just powered up and no motors running.

Post your recorded flight data and it might have enough clues to work out how high up the drone is.

Please excuse my ignorance I've only had it for 3 days but where do I get the flight data? I presume it's in my cell phone but I don't know where to look.

Also I had it sitting on my kitchen table yesterday reading the manual while it was on and it started to overheat at about 10 minutes so I shut it off and it felt hot. This time it's up in the tree so I can't shut it off so I hope it's not damaged from that too. I did get the $39 plan to fix it so if I can get it down I can send it in for repair.

I know which tree it is in I just need to let the tree climber know how high it is so we can look for it, if it's out on a limb he might not be able to get it.

I was able to move the gimble and see through the camera for a while and make it beep but I'm afraid by tomorrow the battery might be dead and I won't be able to do that anymore. I do appreciate all the help and enjoy the jokes too...

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance I've only had it for 3 days but where do I get the flight data? I presume it's in my cell phone but I don't know where to look.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Or just post the .txt file here

but where do I get the flight data? I presume it's in my cell phone but I don't know where to look.

Have a quick read here . . .

( or as per Meta4 post above, just beat me :) )

I kind of figured out the flight data and it shows the crash at 95' (29m) right where I thought it was. Thanks for all the great help, now to go get it...
Unless the base of the tree was at the same height as your launch point, it won't be at that height.

Reactions: Gindra
The base of the tree is about 3-4' lower than the launch point so I presume the mini is just under 100' up in the tree. I launched it from the hood of my car only about 25' in distance from the tree. I was trying to do a rising circle (helix) maneuver and didn't clear the tree as I came around. This technology is simply amazing, it's fun even when you crash.

Have a quick read here . . .

( or as per Meta4 post above, just beat me :) )

Sheesh! That went right over my head (excuse the pun).

I think this is the log attached here and here is a link: How high up is it? I can see the tree it is in, it's in the very tall tree next to the round house! That is awesome....

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-02-06_[16-30-58].txt
    197.6 KB · Views: 22
Tall tree !
Was a nice simple flight, shame about that tree getting in the way last minute.
Live and learn, hope you get it ok and it's all good.
Probably pay to change props (even if they look ok) or at least thoroughly inspect them under a little pressure by hand.

Is it this one ?

balbijou.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78