DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high up in the tree is it?

Me ether and my Mini is being fixed because of one now.Have climbed them to get them out and not even going to say how I got this one out. Took MP up to take the picture though. :D
View attachment 93293
You now have a LOT of firewood stacked in your yard ? ?

My first rule to avoid crashes:
Stay away from trees.
Second rule
Stay away from trees.
At any appreciable distance your depth perception Is not as good as you believe.

Trees love drones and want to hold them close.

Do it old school, like I used to do when shooting off Estes model rockets. Go to Staples, and buy a plastic protractor. On its straight edge tape 10" of string in the middle, and hang some weight at the bottom. Walk AWAY from the tree, until the straight edge aligns with your drone, AND the string is hanging down exactly on the 45 degree mark.

Measure how far you are from the tree.....the drone is at the same height :)
I used to tape a toilet paper tube on the straight edge....my poor man's scope.71OuUGpW7cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Euclidian geometery rules!!

Do it old school, like I used to do when shooting off Estes model rockets. Go to Staples, and buy a plastic protractor. On its straight edge tape 10" of string in the middle, and hang some weight at the bottom. Walk AWAY from the tree, until the straight edge aligns with your drone, AND the string is hanging down exactly on the 45 degree mark.

I used to tape a toilet paper tube on the straight edge....my poor man's scope.View attachment 93325

There's an app for that...

There's an app for that...

Party pooper :-D

I used to do TERS smooth earth analysis for terrestrial telcos. And geostationary satellite signal prediction, back when HBO started. All C-band...and then Ku.

The best part was field verification. I have been on almost every rooftop in NYC, with 200 lbs of HP spectrum analyzers, in Anvil cases. I used to ask the doorman to ask his pals if they would help me lug a 14m dish, and all the gear for $100/day.

Still have my Suuntos :-D

1581085398762.pngss011096010_suunto_pm-5_360pc-v2.jpg

Reactions: sar104
I lost my mini in a very tall tree. I can hear the beep but I can't see it. I found an arborist that will climb the tree to look for it. Is there a way to tell how high up the tree it was when it crashed? By the time I get back out there, the battery will probably be dead and I won't be able to make it beep. I also got a message the processor is overheating and to turn it off but I can't do that so it might be burnt up by the time I get to it.
Let us know how it goes! By the way, you might want to change your name from BushWacker to Tree Wacker :)

Party pooper :-D

I used to do TERS smooth earth analysis for terrestrial telcos. And geostationary satellite signal prediction, back when HBO started. All C-band...and then Ku.

The best part was field verification. I have been on almost every rooftop in NYC, with 200 lbs of HP spectrum analyzers, in Anvil cases. I used to ask the doorman to ask his pals if they would help me lug a 14m dish, and all the gear for $100/day.

Still have my Suuntos :-D

View attachment 93332View attachment 93331

All my Govt. sat work was done over at Ft. Belvoir, Ft. Huachuca, & Washington Navy Yard. I believe Sierra Vista is the oldest Army facility in the US....but I might have been at the Ft. Bliss museum. :) Sierra Vista is still a big SIGINT center. I can't omit the 5 years I spent in 2 weeks @ Goodfellow Air Intel Training School, San Angelo TX. :-D

Reactions: Gindra and Capt KO
Ha! Yes, that's the bugger. Google is amazing. I've got a professional tree climber coming out there today and I bought the crash plan so I can get it repaired through DJI. It's been a fun learning experience just the same. If there is just 1 tree in the way I'm bound to hit it...

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra and Capt KO

I used to tape a toilet paper tube on the straight edge....my poor man's scope.View attachment 93325

This would be great if I could see the drone. The whole purpose in trying to determine how high it is so I can let the tree climber know where to look.

Reactions: Gindra
Ha! Yes, that's the bugger. Google is amazing. I've got a professional tree climber coming out there today and I bought the crash plan so I can get it repaired through DJI. It's been a fun learning experience just the same. If there is just 1 tree in the way I'm bound to hit it...
At least you were smart enough to get Cara refresh. From what I’ve seen here, a lot of people didn’t spend the extra $40 and are paying the price now, big-time. I even got the extra year add on. Not a lot of faith but it is a fun little flying camera.

Reactions: Gindra
Well, the tree climber wanted $600 to climb the tree so I just bought a new one. DJI will let me transfer the care package to the new drone. Maybe it will blow down someday and I will get it returned and use it for spare parts. I wrote my phone number right on the top...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe153