DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How high?

JAY DEE

Reactions
I keep seeing references to pilots flying to 500M max altitude above take off point. I thought it was limited to 400' not 500M. What am I missing? With Imperial settings mine won't allow me to type in more than 121 meters. If I put it in metric can I climb to 500 meters?

Sent from my SM-T280 using MavicPilots mobile app

The quad is capable of a max service ceiling above sea level 16404 feet (5000 m). You have to set it in the app.

There seems to be some confusion here. The 400' is the height suggested for hobby flyers by the FAA. The aircraft is capable of 16404' ASL but please don't test this. :D
Imperial or metric it's the same max ceiling.

There seems to be some confusion here. The 400' is the height suggested for hobby flyers by the FAA. The aircraft is capable of 16404' ASL but please don't test this. :D
Imperial or metric it's the same max ceiling.
Okay sometimes my brain gets in the way. Lol!

So....I under the max altitude of 16404'. I'm not looking to fly in an unsafe manner or fly higher than 400' above ground level at anytime. I live at 3000' ASL. I have a mountain behind my house that is 4200' at the peak. My MP won't go to the peak if I take off from the house. It stops around 3400'. Are you saying if I change some settings I can get to the peak if I take off from my house? Thanks again for your input!

Sent from my SM-T280 using MavicPilots mobile app

The flight ceiling of the drone is ~16,000', however DJI limits you to 500m (1,640') above your takeoff point. Many countries state that you cannot, or should not, fly above 400' AGL so DJI defaults the height limit to 120m in the app (120m = ~400').

If you want to fly up the side of a mountain for example, you can increase the max height limit to allow you to climb as the ground level rises, ensuring you're still less than 400' above the ground below you.

As @LuvMyTJ mentioned, you can change this in the app.

I should also mention that you should keep a close eye on your battery level. The Mavic ascends faster than it will descend, so don't get caught out by losing power while you're still trying to descend back to ground level.

I should also mention that you should keep a close eye on your battery level. The Mavic ascends faster than it will descend, so don't get caught out by losing power while you're still trying to descend back to ground level.
Seems like a semi design flaw to not be able to drop faster than you can climb.

I'm pretty sure its intended that way as a safety feature of the Mavic. My Inspire has no such limitation. It will descend as fast as it will ascend. I've come down pretty quick to about 10' feet. However I don't tend to come straight down from high altitudes.

It's actually a very purposeful design limitation. As quads fly, the prop wash causes instability in the airflow underneath the drone, with air currents circulating in unpredictable manners.

While descending, your Mavic is then flying into that unstable air, if the wash is too turbulent then there's a chance the air will flip the drone and that'll cause all sorts of trouble. The best way to prevent this is to limit how quickly the drone descends, giving the air time to settle and the drone more control.

Generally speaking, the larger the drone, the more wash it can sustain before it has this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: larkin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weepo67