DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How I fixed video feed lag at one specific place

Yaros

Reactions
This is an interesting situation I got into some days ago when I was flying. Here is how it went, the problem and the solution I found!
I went to a beach to fly my mavic air 2, get some footage of the sea and the area in general. It was my first time flying in that area.
Launched the drone from hand and started going up when I noticed much lag on the video feed. It was half second of normal video and then 1 second frozen, very strange, I thought!
Landed the drone, restarted everything and tried again, same thing!!
It was very annoying as the area where I wanted to fly was very nice, and I wanted to find a solution, so I thought for a moment and then tried some stuff.
First thing I did was to try to switch the live feed resolution in the transmission tab to "Smooth" but that didn't do anything, only lowered the quality of the preview to 720p. And while I was changing it back to "HD" (1080p) I saw the "channel/band" option.
After switching the drone to 5.8Ghz the issue was gone, I flew it pretty far and the range was not so good, so I switched back to Dual Band and kept flying, no lag for now! When I returned, about 200 meters from the beach the video started lagging again, I switched from dual-band to 5.8ghz, and it stopped lagging...

After landing the drone I started thinking about what was causing this kind of behavior, I didn't have any interference messages popping up like they normally do when there is RC Interference, this time just lag. I came to the conclusion that it was probably interferance from a construction of a hotel, maybe some equipment there was emitting something on 2.4Ghz but why didn't the drone just switch automatically? Pretty strange, I must say!

So if you encounter some similar issues try this, maybe it will fix the issue for you too some day!

And here are some photos from that flight showing the place:

DJI_0478-HDR.jpg DJI_0496-HDR.jpg DJI_0534-HDR.jpg

Reactions: hiflyer201
To quote luciens
- 2.4ghz is a lower frequency so it's less directional than 5.8ghz. Meaning, 2.4ghz radio waves will go around and through objects a bit better than 5.8. So if you start to descend below the horizon, or a bunch of trees gets in between you and the drone, etc., 2.4ghz will be a little more forgiving. 5.8ghz, will tend to do the opposite; it's more easily blocked by obstructions, hills, etc. that intervene between you and the aircraft.
- more bandwidth is available on the 5.8ghz band, I believe, so the transmission will be a little better quality.
- 5.8ghz has less other traffic on it than 2.4ghz, so you're less likely to encounter interference on the 5.8ghz band.

After landing the drone I started thinking about what was causing this kind of behavior, I didn't have any interference messages popping up like they normally do when there is RC Interference, this time just lag. I came to the conclusion that it was probably interferance from a construction of a hotel, maybe some equipment there was emitting something on 2.4Ghz but why didn't the drone just switch automatically? Pretty strange, I must say!
The most likely cause of the lagging isn't interference or your controller frequencies.
lagging is almost always due to the phone or tablet being underpowered or poorly configured.

The most likely cause of the lagging isn't interference or your controller frequencies.
lagging is almost always due to the phone or tablet being underpowered or poorly configured.
That's true, but I always fly with the same phone, and only this time had the problem, so it couldn't be the device...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121