DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many of you do compass calibration before take off?

I did it when I first got it and then never again.
DJI recommends you DO NOT do it unless it asks you to.
Who am I to argue:rolleyes:

It seems no one does a preflight before launch. Should do a compass calibration before each flight in a new location.
I always do preflight checks. I've seen a request to calibrate once while the drone was sat next to the sub for my sound system. Moved it away and the request went away. Read page 52 of v1.6 of the manual.

I did it when I first got it and then never again.
DJI recommends you DO NOT do it unless it asks you to.
Who am I to argue:rolleyes:
Who told you Dji recommends it only be done when asked?
The only reason I ask is because I messaged them on Friday asking what they recommend and they told me the opposite

I'm interested to know if you do compass calibration before every take off or not.

Pro's/Cons?

What's your take on it?!
I never calibrated, even once. If my mavic ask, I will do. In fact, each time I'm updating the firmware or doing other tests and settings inside my condo the mp request it but as I'm not going to fly I not do it, then once in the field all is ok, nothing is requested anymore...

If you are flying to create a map then you should calibrate everytime. If you are just flying for fun or to capture video then you are probably fine to just launch.

Reactions: ivor4000
Until now I calibrated every time when using DJI app because before each flight it asked me to do a calibration.
Litchi never asked me to do one. Worked out the flights without any problem, until now...
Maybe I've to uncheck somewhere in the app ?
Thanks for any advice

I'm planning to take my Mavic to Europe, should I calibrated? thx
I'm planning to take my Mavic to Europe, should I calibrated?

I live in Nebraska, USA. Calibrated there months ago when prompted. Just returned from Italy. Was not prompted to calibrate while there. Flew as is, & MP performed well.

Litchi never asks, DJI every-time I start the app.
Like mentioned before never did a calibration and never any had problems with Litchi (until now).

Litchi never asks, DJI every-time I start the app.
Like mentioned before never did a calibration and never any had problems with Litchi (until now).

Are you sure you are not just seeing the calibrate button, if you are asked to recalibrate the compass it will be in red.

Yes I calibrated only 2 times, the reason is if you have troubles just hit return home and mine lands just perfect when the return button or screen tap, now this is GPS mode always..
I flown 18hrs,distance127854 feet in 127 flights,,no problems at all..
enjoy guys,I love the magic pro..

I ALWAYS recalibrate the IMU and Compass after a firmware upgrade ALWAYS. I also recalibrate the compass anytime that I travel more than 20 miles roughly from the location of the last flight. Better safe than sorry. Mavic is too expensive to replace. BTW I have never had the status page tell me to recalibrate. Lucky I guess - or preventative maintenance.

I calibrate it every time I change locations. I have had experiences where if I don't calibrate it, in take-off the drone drifts a bit and you can't do anything about it. So to be on the safe side I calibrate it often :)

Any time I change flying sites by more than a dozen miles and after all updates.

I'm interested to know if you do compass calibration before every take off or not.

Pro's/Cons?

What's your take on it?!
Every signal time I turn on the drone every time I change a battery it's better to take a few seconds then to waste hundreds of dollars in a crash because it got lost

Reactions: mavic6611
Only when asked to. Live in U.K. And just got back from Sri Lanka. Didn't calibrate once and had no problems. My Phantom was forever needing to be done.

Things changed from the P4 onwards.

It used to be common for firmware updates to overwrite the IMU data, that doesn't routinely happen any more.

The factory IMU calibration is carried out at controlled temperatures and should not be replaced unless asked for by the app.

The initial screen you see in the app when starting the aircraft has a 'calibrate' button on it, this is not a request to do a calibration.

The more times you recalibrate the compass the higher your chance of getting a bad calibration.

Get a good one and stick with it.

Always avoid recalibrating near any metal so even if you get asked to recalibrate, go to the sensor display in the app and look at the compass values, lift the aircraft and see if the values turn green, if so then you just need to find a better place to take-off.

I'm planning to take my Mavic to Europe, should I calibrated? thx
I've only calibrated once, (at home) and been to Greece twice without needing to calibrate, only calibrate if the app asks for it, there are two compasses and the Mavic will use the second if the first goes out!.....;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c