DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many pilots / retired pilots are mavic owners?

Former US Army UH-1 pilot and Aviation Maintenance Officer.
4th Division: Pleiku, Vietnam, 1967-68.
FAA Commercial Rotary Wing
Coastline Helicopters, Opa Locka, FL, 2000-2001.

CW2%20-%201967%20-%20RVN_zps8wqjzadi.jpg

Wow...I'm amazed at the number of manned aircraft pilots there are just in here that also fly UAS. I know a few manned pilots that fly for a living and they are not drone fans. I understand their position.

SEL Complex, Instrument training. 800 hours logged. My dad had a Piper Cub, Tripacer, then Cherokee. I have owned a few Pipers, Cessnas, and Mooneys. I used to buy and sell small planes for a while along time ago.

My last and favorite plane was a 1979 Cessna 182RG which would takeoff with almost anything you could stuff into it as long as you could get the doors closed. She would cruise along at 130 knots at 13 gph. Flew it coast to coast a few times, and all over the Carribean.

I wanted to be an ATP but couldnt afford Embry Riddle and didnt want to spend another 6 years in the Navy.

View attachment 11191

Wonderful airplane - but I like the straight leg 182 more... that said ...

My father and I were flying a C-182RG one afternoon - he was PIC.

He did a stall with a pretty aggressive climb and it broke clean (gear up).

I offered a sage observation, "ya know Dad, I read somewhere that the higher the nose is up when you stall, the angle of the nose will go down just as far after the break. So if it breaks at 30° nose up, should hit 30° nose down after the break. Think you can hit 60°?"

So he dove to pick up some knots and pulled it slowly but surely nose up ... not sure if he ever reached 60°.

When that SOB broke it did not go nose down to 60°. More like more than 90° and we were both hanging in the straps ... a nervous giggle later... and he said, "is the hood back there?, maybe time for some approaches ..."

Reactions: jaymeinen
Commercial, CFI.

My father was private. I offered to set him up commercial while I was an instructor, but he refused. (He had well over 2000 hours, ME, IFR).

My son has just to write his exams and do the final flight test to get his private. After the semester is over, I guess. Meanwhile one of his engineering school projects is a drone that maps out rooms with IR sensors...

Reactions: Soundtekk
New Zealand PPL holder here. ~250 hours on C152, C172, various PA28. Last plane I regularly flew was a PA28R-200 (Arrow II, retract, CSU, 200 hp)

Retired Commercial Pilot (Australia) with extensive outback flying experience.
I will trade my experience for yours, any day

Was just east of you at Phucat

Although I've the feeling we might have been on rather different sides of the culture war had I been around in 67-68, I'm not silly enough to think either of us would have been entirely right so I'll just say that's a very nice photo indeed - makes me wonder how I'll look back at some of my own in 50 years. Life is so short.

Ex British HM Forces, Avionics Engineer, REME. Love fixing 'em! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique