DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many spare batteries?

We are missing here the main question, that I asked DJI a couple of days ago but they failed to answer right (two of their tech supp).

I'm also have 4 batteries at this time but I would like to know how many batteries the Mavic can handle in one continous flight, just swaping batteries, without a cool-off time.

How long it can fly before over heating, let's say in a hot wheater day?

I've been able to use all 4 batteries in one flight but that doesn't mean it is good for the Mavic in the long term. Just after 1 battery the Mavic is already very hot.

So, I think that's what we need to find out before getting more extra batteries.

G
We are missing here the main question, that I asked DJI a couple of days ago but they failed to answer right (two of their tech supp).

I'm also have 4 batteries at this time but I would like to know how many batteries the Mavic can handle in one continous flight, just swaping batteries, without a cool-off time.

I've been able to use all 4 batteries in one flight but that doesn't mean it is good for the Mavic in the long term. Just after 1 battery the Mavic is already very hot.

So, I think that's what we need to find out before getting more extra batteries.
Good point, I never thought about that.

If it is not overheated after 20mins, then it won't after longer time.
The thermal mass of this little bird is rather small...

DJI doesn't want to go there...

Their third response (the closest one to what I asked them).

Still no official advice.

I'm wondering in the case you need to submit a claim (DJI Refresh), they could argue that your flight was longer than 27' (2, 3 or more flights, one after another) because the flight logs are time stamped.

---------------------------------------
Belle
(DJI)

Thank you for reaching out DJI Support.
We'll be more than happy to help you out with your concern.

We cannot provide estimate flight time without the aircraft's undergoing cool down time. However, the aircraft can give a approximately 24 to 25 minutes of flight time.

Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a great day!

Bella
DJI Support

Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST) Email: [email protected]

I have 5 but could totally get away with 4 no problem.
And now that I've had my Mavic for a wile I find I don't just fly around aimlessly like I did when I first got it.

9 times out of 10 I accomplish the shot I was looking for with a single battery or maybe two and then I'm done for the day anyways.
So I usually just use one or two battery's but who knows when I'll need all 5. It's nice to know I got them if I need them.

Reactions: Rbruz
As many as you want. It won't magically heat more and more for some unknown reason...
Once in flight it will be at its equilibrium temp after a minute or 2 and will stay around that regardless of how much you keep it in the air.

4 flights in different places yesterday, but got to recharge 2 so didn't actually need my 4 batts.

Reactions: ddp

As long as the ambient temperature stays constant and is under 95°f, you can fly continuously. The brushless motors are rated for hundreds of hours of flight time, and the FC ESC and core boards get cooled by the internal fan. Battery temps will not increase past their max rated temperatures if you fly at approved temperatures. Flying multiple packs will not increase any of the component temperatures past what they were on the previous flight.

My test on an 88°f day:

The effects of heat on Mavic; Some good news

Hey since you are the man here can you help a novice out,the force runs strong in me. My mavic pro arrives in 2 days and I have a week to master the drone before I go to Maui for the summer. Anything you can help me with would help alot,thanks

Hey since you are the man here can you help a novice out,the force runs strong in me. My mavic pro arrives in 2 days and I have a week to master the drone before I go to Maui for the summer. Anything you can help me with would help alot,thanks

Are you taking the Mavic with you to Maui? Have you had a DJI drone before? #1 is to read the manual. It really helps. If youre taking it with you, you will have plenty of time to practice over the summer.

Here's the manual:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170619/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.6.pdf

Here is a helpful thread about starting out:

Things you wish you knew when you started

Reactions: Jedipro23
Are you taking the Mavic with you to Maui? Have you had a DJI drone before? #1 is to read the manual. It really helps. If youre taking it with you, you will have plenty of time to practice over the summer.

Here's the manual:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170619/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.6.pdf

Here is a helpful thread about starting out:

Things you wish you knew when you started
Yes I am taking it with me on plane, I'm scared shirtless reading all these forums and hearing the horror storys. Thanks for the links as I will devour it these next days.

Who do you expect to write here if not the ones who are having issues.
The thousands of happy users don't waste their flying time in forums...

Its all down to personal taste.

I have 5 in total which is quite a bit of weight to carry round - any more would too heavy for me.

Although I have flown all 5 in a session I normally dont need to. 3 or 4 batteries normally gets all the shots you need and after an hour or so of flying all that concentration gets quite tiring. Plus that about covers the iPad and remote batteries too.

So I think 4 is enough (and they all fit on the charger too). ..

BUT - on the way home, who knows what situation might present itself? So you *always* need an extra fully charged one - just in case that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity arrises.

So in conclusion - 5!

some people heree forget or don't care about the MAIN BENEFIT of mavic:

PORTABILITY !!!

i love to travel... and by travel i mean fly on the other side of the world ! 5 batteries? 4 ???
what?
2 is the BEST !!!
1 inside your mavic, one outside !
you travel by car? get one car charger !
You travel in some villages? do as i do .. leave your battery charging while you eat or at some shops, never found someoene saying " can't sorry)
one in Hong Kong ask for 1 euro service.. ok fine too :)

how would i travel with 5 ? or even 4 ...

Reactions: Wayleebird
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica