DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much footage is too much footage? Beautiful Hengistbury Head in spring.

Derlisz

Reactions
Hengistbury Head in the Spring “Teardrop” by Massive Attack
I have to addmit I have overshot on this project. I usually make my videos long for drone video standards 3-5 minutes, but for this project I’ve managed to acumulate about 3h or raw footage and about half of that after cutting. This is not the first edit and I have changed quit a lot for the initial one, it’s hard to keep perspective when you work on something like this. I would appreciate your opinions on the matter.

Reactions: ksmusa
Hi. Are you talking about one scene or the whole video. I meant my question in a bit broader sense anyway asking about the amount of raw footage before it becomes too much to handle for a single video.

Generally a typical song length 3 to 5 minutes is reasonable if you are using music like this.
Anyone who knows the area will likely be fascinated and might wish it were longer.
It's often amazing how quickly things change and in a few years time footage like this gains importance as a record.
As always the target audience is relevant, but if it's as much as anything for your own enjoyment do what you like, no one is forced to watch it!

For a shorter edit avoiding any repetitious or similar scenes is the main focus.
We are used to fast cut video these days and you can pack a lot into a minute or two.
The 'drone video' in this format is a bit passé now the wow factor is over,
Using short drone clips in a conventionally recorded video is the way forward.
It is after all just a way to get some different camera angles.

Reactions: Derlisz
Generally a typical song length 3 to 5 minutes is reasonable if you are using music like this.
Anyone who knows the area will likely be fascinated and might wish it were longer.
It's often amazing how quickly things change and in a few years time footage like this gains importance as a record.
As always the target audience is relevant, but if it's as much as anything for your own enjoyment do what you like, no one is forced to watch it!

For a shorter edit avoiding any repetitious or similar scenes is the main focus.
We are used to fast cut video these days and you can pack a lot into a minute or two.
The 'drone video' in this format is a bit passé now the wow factor is over,
Using short drone clips in a conventionally recorded video is the way forward.
It is after all just a way to get some different camera angles.

Thanks for a great reply. I was thinking about making another much longer video just for people who really love that area as i know anything much longer then this will be boring for anyone else. I would include a lot some ground footage as well as none of it made into my video this time, at least not into the final cut.

QUOTE="Derlisz, post: 461228, member: 14406"]Hi. Are you talking about one scene or the whole video. I meant my question in a bit broader sense anyway asking about the amount of raw footage before it becomes too much to handle for a single video.

Check out the following link. I realize this isn’t everybody’s flying style, but the content is incredable; reflected in the number of views and likes. I think I’ve watched it 5 times myself, just showing it to others.

My point is that content is key, and knowing your audience, and what they want with respect to that content, is where the magic takes place.

I have seen that video before. It’s quite cool. I’m excited personally more into cinematic videos rather then flight videos, but I like some well Donegal flight videos as well. I even attempted to learn acro flying but I had to give up because of the lack of time. My original question was actually different. Maybe I’m going to refrase it: aiming for 3-5 minute edited video how much raw footage do I shoot before the editing becomes a nightmare? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi