DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Self-Discharge Setting Communication with Drone works

Phoenix Drone

Reactions
Hopefully this will be helpful. I have 7 batteries and was not sure how the adjustable (1-10 day) self-discharge setting was communicated to the battery. When you reset it using the DJI Go 4 App does it require cabling the drone to the PC and using the DJI assistant (or over the air) like it requires for a battery firmware upgrade?

Answer: to set your batteries to a certain number of days until self-discharge, simply turn on your remote and go to the battery screen on your phone. Before the drone is started, you will notice the days stays at "1". Start the drone, let it connect, and the screen will flicker and then show the days stored for that battery. You can also change it, and it updates the battery immediately. For your next battery, simply power down the drone, put in the next battery, and check the battery screen, it will show what that battery is set at (and you can change it immediately if needed). There is NO need to power off the remote or phone or the DJI Go 4 app, just line up the batteries and go.

Note: if you turn on any battery after removing it from the drone, it will reset the timer to the number of days you set. You can check the battery level by pressing the button quickly, but don't turn on the battery. You can also feel the battery getting a little warm when the discharging starts.

Note: if you turn on any battery after removing it from the drone, it will reset the timer to the number of days you set. You can check the battery level by pressing the button quickly, but don't turn on the battery.

That is interesting. Is there any documentation about this?
I always thought just pressing the power button resets the counter.

Quote from Msinger:
"Don’t press the battery button to check the current charge level. On most DJI batteries, pressing the battery button will reset the time to discharge day counter back to zero. For example, if you have the “Time to Discharge” setting set to 10 days and you press the battery button on the 9th day, the battery will wait a total of 19 days before it attempts to discharge itself down to the storage level."
HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI drone batteries

I tested the reset but can be wrong on that part. Anyone else confirm?

There are different opinions on that. Interesting is that DJI doesn't provide insight.
I'd love to know since I store my drone/batteries in a backpack and it can easily happen that the power buttons get pushed accidentally.
The scenario you described i would much prefer! :)

Automatic discharge of batteries?

Hopefully this will be helpful. I have 7 batteries and was not sure how the adjustable (1-10 day) self-discharge setting was communicated to the battery. When you reset it using the DJI Go 4 App does it require cabling the drone to the PC and using the DJI assistant (or over the air) like it requires for a battery firmware upgrade?

Answer: to set your batteries to a certain number of days until self-discharge, simply turn on your remote and go to the battery screen on your phone. Before the drone is started, you will notice the days stays at "1". Start the drone, let it connect, and the screen will flicker and then show the days stored for that battery. You can also change it, and it updates the battery immediately. For your next battery, simply power down the drone, put in the next battery, and check the battery screen, it will show what that battery is set at (and you can change it immediately if needed). There is NO need to power off the remote or phone or the DJI Go 4 app, just line up the batteries and go.

Note: if you turn on any battery after removing it from the drone, it will reset the timer to the number of days you set. You can check the battery level by pressing the button quickly, but don't turn on the battery. You can also feel the battery getting a little warm when the discharging starts.
I just updated the firmware for M2 and batt's a few days ago and I my screen doesn't show this option. With Go4 and the RC running (drone off) there is no discharge option shown. It doesn't show until I turn the drone on

I updated the firmware for M2 and batt's a few days ago and my screen doesn't show this option. With Go4 and the RC running (drone off) there is no discharge option shown. It doesn't show until I turn the drone on and then my discharge options are just 5-10 days, 3 days discharge isn't an option.
And selecting 5 days to discharge isn't working as I charged a battery just to see this in operation. Eight days later it was still at 100%

Attachments

• drone off.PNG
    drone off.PNG
    135.5 KB · Views: 41
  • drone on.PNG
    drone on.PNG
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Thanohano44
I also had the Drone / Remote and App running when i did the Firmware update and cycled through my 3 batteries so they all start to discharge after Three days (down from their 10).
Pressing your battery button to check state of charge indeed also restarts the discharge date over again.
Holding it down for several seconds will indicate battery life, i.e., 100% / 75% / 50% etc.

Unless things changed, checking SoC on an M2 battery without actually turning on the battery does not reset the clock.
Here's how I know:
Because of a class I moderate, I use my M2 every 2 weeks. I often charge my batteries after class so I can fly at the spur of the moment if I want to. The night before the class, SoC automatically went to 60%. After the first week, I pressed the button once and found SoC at 4 steady lights. After 2nd week night before class, the batteries went to storage charge. If it were true that merely checking SoC would reset the clock, my checking SoC at end of week 1 would have prevented discharge during week 2.

I tried the press once for several seconds trick, I'm not getting a status. I could have sworn it once did. All it does now is show SoC, then blanks out.

Reactions: MaxHam
Unless things changed, checking SoC on an M2 battery without actually turning on the battery does not reset the clock.
Here's how I know:
Because of a class I moderate, I use my M2 every 2 weeks. I often charge my batteries after class so I can fly at the spur of the moment if I want to. The night before the class, SoC automatically went to 60%. After the first week, I pressed the button once and found SoC at 4 steady lights. After 2nd week night before class, the batteries went to storage charge. If it were true that merely checking SoC would reset the clock, my checking SoC at end of week 1 would have prevented discharge during week 2.

I tried the press once for several seconds trick, I'm not getting a status. I could have sworn it once did. All it does now is show SoC, then blanks out.

I think you are right. And the OP is probably right about having to switch the battery on in order to reset the counter.
I tested it: I set one battery to 1 day and pressed the power button a few times within these 24 hours.
It still started to discharge after that 1 day.

I always found that theory awkward anyway. It's so easy that a power button gets hit in a soft bag and that shouldn't affect a cycle that it is programmed to.

P.S.
What is SoC?

Last edited:
I did try pressing once and holding while the battery was on. After a second or two it blinked all 4 LEDs. That may be the useful life of the battery.

I can see my days showing 1, but can’t change it on the smart controller any one else have the issue
Exactly the same here as I only have the Smart Controller. For me, in the GO 4 app, the Days to Discharge will show 1 when the SC is booted. If the Mavic 2 Pro is then started, the Battery page of Settings does not show Days to Discharge. Double checked this by shutting all down and repeating.

I suspect it is because the SC GO 4 has not been updated. Had not thought the update was important but now realize why 2 of my 3 batteries discharge after a day or two.

Besides firmware update, you also need Go app version 4.2.24 or above for the option, as per firmware release notes.

Besides firmware update, you also need Go app version 4.2.24 or above for the option, as per firmware release notes.
The latest Smart Controller DJI GO4 app is 4.3.16. It does not have the feature. The SC does not have Play Store natively installed. The only way to update the SC firmware is when the SC displays a message an update is available.

I would agree though that DJI should provide a sanctioned update for the SC providing the go update.
They are slow in propagating dependent software updates to their hardware products.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78