DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How serious is a high speed wind warning?

I am really interested to know if this is true, and if so, does anyone know what the threshold is? Once an auto landing is initiated is it possible to regain control? Also can the auto landing be set to hover at near ground level? This would be a death sentence over water and since it is generally windy/gusty on the ocean I would expect to get some wind errors. I've flown several times over land while getting & ignoring the RED high wind warning, it never even dawned on me that it could just simply decide to land on its own.
here is the log of that test, you can try to decipher what was the factor there.

Attachments

• 13-01-18-03-51-10_FLY041.zip
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2013-01-18_[03-51-40].zip
    181.7 KB · Views: 2
i tested it when we had here gasps of wind up to 40mph, so, it does those 2 warnings, and if you keep ignoring getting higher into a stronger wind, it switches imto autoland mode and goes down on its own. i was able to intercept that landing and redirect it, but, do not recall what was done, exactly, i may have done combination of cancel with mode switches to atti. it was not clear from the log what was the exact driver to force the landing sequence, but, seems like a combination of several factors, with the message of motors power to be insufficient. so, just be aware that it may land someplace else if you keep pushing it.
How do you program out the yellow warning please?

Last edited:
I always give it throttle and the Mavic Pro stops trying to land. I don't ever really touch the screen on my smartphone other than to refocus if screen looks blurry or use any button other than the sport mode side switch on the radio tx. I fly when it's windy out all the time otherwise I would never be able to fly. Googling, my average wind is 17.1kph...

Reactions: MichiganMavic
I got the high wind warning flying about 250 ft over a forest a couple days ago. Snapped one more pic and then RTH. But my MP2 just went straight down and crashed into the trees. Made for some tense hours till I found it. No idea why it went down where it was rather than home. And ideas?

I got the high wind warning flying about 250 ft over a forest a couple days ago. Snapped one more pic and then RTH. But my MP2 just went straight down and crashed into the trees. Made for some tense hours till I found it. No idea why it went down where it was rather than home. And ideas?
read what was posted above.
get your log from the mobile device - open it and search for autolanding mode in it, in the text log. it will show up if it is in there. it probably switched to it due to the wind and went down.

Thing is, if it doesn’t have clearing to land, it hovers and gives you the option to force land over where it’s hoering.

So if it detects obstacles below, surely it could detect water below and not try to land?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the drone would simply detect the water as a surface, and since it wouldn't know that surface is water, it would land in the water.

My bet is that you hit land instead of RTH in the G04app. Those features are right beside each and I could easily see that happening (almost did it myself). Please post what you find when you figure it out it.

Sounds like from reading wind issues that the M2 is more sensitive to high winds?
I flew my Mavic Pro for 2 months in Maui during the wind storms they had (Feb-March).
Winds were 25-35 with higher even wind gusts. I flew out against the wind and flew back low.
From the sounds of it, if I had taken my M2PRO, it would’ve been lost out at sea....
This forced landing in high winds concern me [emoji848]

If you buy a small hand-held anemometer it will read wind speed in miles or k per hour or metres per sec or knots to suit all flyers. Very useful to assess whether to fly or not.

Reactions: Drgnfli
If you buy a small hand-held anemometer it will read wind speed in miles or k per hour or metres per sec or knots to suit all flyers. Very useful to assess whether to fly or not.
That's a good idea, but only shows you wind-speed near the ground - where typically it's slowest. Use one of the on-line services like 'UAV Forecast' or 'Ventusky' - These will show the wind at altitude.

Or maybe the USA is one of the last outposts of the Imperial [inches, feet, miles etc.], measurement system (except for the US Military who have adopted the metric system).
Hey, some royal baby born on your side of the pond had his weight in pounds and ounces! (g)

While I do wish we had converted ages ago, I'm now too old to deal with the higher math involved when I visit Europe. But the one that really resists my talents is temperature. Especially, when I go over there for cross-country skiing and those fine gradations are meaningful when attempting to wax!

On a trip to Italy now. Decided to fly this afternoon because tho it was windy — weather app showed 15 mph winds, the forecasts for the city I’m in predicted worse weather the next couple of days.

So I climbed to 250 ft. and after taking some photos, I got the wind warning to carefully find a place to land. Well it was over water so I did some flying to shoot a video and then RTH.

On the ground it wasn’t that windy though there were some gusts. So I swapped batteries and took off again and after climbing over 150 ft, got warnings again. On the first flight, the warnings didn’t come until after I’d flown about 10-15 minutes.

Again, didn’t feel more windy. Eventually brought the M2P back but the RTH location was several feet off, near a building. So I had to move it more towards Home and then land.

I guess the warning says land ASAP, not necessarily RTH, so maybe kinda serious.

I don’t know if it’s related but got two prompts to calibrate compass so ended up doing it twice after each flight.
If you're getting the red warning, you would be wise to either land or keep it really close. Also, you can check your attitude indicator on the app while hovering to see what it's needing to do to maintain position.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Hi We still use m.p.h.. for road speeds in the UK but all other measurements have gone metric. As an experienced ex-helicopter and airline pilot I am used to knots since aviation was initially developed adopted using nautical terms including port and starboard. I believe the DJI controller can be set to use whichever units you are more comfortable with. Always sensible to have your return (RTH) downwind when possible. Wind speed generally increases with altitude but not alway. There are other winds caused by ground effects and weather conditions. It is particularly fun and challenging in hilly or mountainous areas.

I gave you a like for not telling us where the term knots came from.
I have no idea, but your not allowed to tell ;)

I am interested in What Heli's did you fly?
I thought only Naval Aviators might use port/starbord and not when referring to the plane,
I though everything was the Clock Format.
Which brings me to another thread digression, what is up and down
called in nautical terms?

Hey, some royal baby born on your side of the pond had his weight in pounds and ounces! (g)

While I do wish we had converted ages ago, I'm now too old to deal with the higher math involved when I visit Europe. But the one that really resists my talents is temperature. Especially, when I go over there for cross-country skiing and those fine gradations are meaningful when attempting to wax!

I came to the conclusiion American use Fahrenheit because it sounds more impressive.
Maybe a compensation thing.

Reactions: ff22
Seems odd, Port,/Starboard, Bow/Stern, Up & Down.

Are you sure UP isn't Skyward, or North by North North?

Last edited:
Back on topic.......
There's a 70' (21m) tall tree where I usually fly
If you choose to fly when winds are high be sure to fly out against the wind to increase your chances of safe return to home point.
That is an extremely good tip.

Just remember the higher you go, the less turbulence

Just remember the higher you go, the less turbulence

If only this was true! But it isn’t so cut and dry....

What you are thinking about is called “mechanical” turbulence. It is true that the further away you are from buildings, trees and so on, and the less the airflow is disturbed.

But turbulence is also an abrupt change of wind direction, or speed, which is the exact definition of wind shear. As an another example, turbulence can also be caused by thermals in summer.

Since wind speed increases with altitude, and since most of us limit ourselves to below 400’ AGL, advising someone to go up to avoid turbulence in a light drone is a moot point. It isn’t likely to happen....

Reactions: MavicFT1P

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook