DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How serious is a high speed wind warning?

I was referring to minutes, hours, days, …

s*60=m
m*60=h
h*24=d
d*7=w
And so on.

Oh - right. It's an interesting mixture. Seconds, minutes, hours, weeks and months (arguable) are arbitrary units of time, while days and years are physically meaningful. Only seconds became part of the metric/SI definitions, and are used in science and engineering for obvious reasons.

Reactions: DoomMeister
For those used to the metric system converting meters/second to km/h is fairly straight forward, just multiply by 3.6. Thus 5m/s is 18km/h.

For those used to the imperial system that same 5m/s equals 11.2mi/h.

Being raised in the US the imperial system is ingrained, but being a science and tech nut I learned the metric system. I keep convenient conversions somewhat memorized.

Engineers and scientists worldwide use the metric system and have for years. About the only thing that is not metric for them is time measurement.
Indeed. It is so endemic that most attempts to offer alternative Imperial measurements still leave metric remnants behind. That's what we are seeing here.

No country that I know expresses vehicle speed in meters per second. Could you imagine travelling in Germany and the speed sigh read: 36 mps instead of 130 kph ?? I get that the USA stands alone in the fight against the metric invasion-- :) --and to be honest I've become accustomed to speed signs in KPH from travelling in Canada. But meters per second? C'mon!
I just ask Siri to convert it for me, on my Apple Watch. She's pretty clever that way! :cool:

Reactions: Thomas B
"Why is it that America hasn’t gone full-on metric? The simple answer is that the overwhelming majority of Americans have never wanted to. The gains have always seemed too little, and the goal too purist."
---TIME magazine, about 5 yrs ago

Reactions: Drgnfli
"Why is it that America hasn’t gone full-on metric? The simple answer is that the overwhelming majority of Americans have never wanted to. The gains have always seemed too little, and the goal too purist."
---TIME magazine, about 5 yrs ago
It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks! The bureaucrats like their bureaucracy and Americans like their inches and pounds, all obesity jokes aside! ;)

The wind is always stronger higher up and compound that with being over water increases it. So you are using more battery and coming home could be harder. It is wise to heed the warnings, unless you want to get a new drone. A good app to have is “UAV Forecast” it shows different wind speeds for different altitudes. Right now for me it shows 10mph at 33 ft.and 17mph for 250ft. I am not sure how accurate it is, but good to check.

I have found that UAV Forecast is a few hours behind actual weather although it really gives you an idea of the different winds speeds at higher altitudes. I am now using DARK SKY - I have uninstalled all other 'weather' apps & only use DARK SKY - it has some neat features & is much more accurate.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Upon some threshold drone switches into auto landing mode, so, to ignore it blindly is not wise

Is that true? I’ve flown more than once in wind so strong mavic was unable to hover in place unless I switched to sport mode, so 30 mph + and I’ve never had any issues with auto landing.

I have found that UAV Forecast is a few hours behind actual weather although it really gives you an idea of the different winds speeds at higher altitudes. I am now using DARK SKY - I have uninstalled all other 'weather' apps & only use DARK SKY - it has some neat features & is much more accurate.
I agree. I like Dark Sky, too!

Is that true? I’ve flown more than once in wind so strong mavic was unable to hover in place unless I switched to sport mode, so 30 mph + and I’ve never had any issues with auto landing.
I've not seen this behavior either. Which FW and app version does this occur on?

Or maybe the USA is one of the last outposts of the Imperial [inches, feet, miles etc.], measurement system (except for the US Military who have adopted the metric system).

Did we get to vote on that?...LOL!
At my age I find it very hard too switch to metric... Just sayin'...

Reactions: JAW
Even easier for me to convert is double M/S to get knots (near enough). 10 M/S ~ 20 K.

Went out the other day to test the higher winds in very hilly area. Wind was 15 - 20 k gusting. Started low and ran it up to about 60 meters which is 20 meters higher than the trees on the nearby hill. Got both alarms but the M2Z stayed in control. Kept it close, did some patterns at different altitudes to test control and resistance to gusts near objects. Also tested driving through a window to go outside. Need a 1 meter square window to drive through in tripod with all sensors on.

Thanks for the info. I will give DARK SKY a try.

above in that thread i posted the log of that scenario, you are free to review it and get to your own conclusions - i did not see what else could have been a factor in there to initiate the autoland sequence.

Darn. Dark Sky like many other apps that require location, aka, Google services, will not run on the Smart Controller. I guess it can be installed on a cell phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas