DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How serious is a high speed wind warning?

Just remember the higher you go, the less turbulence

I concur with those who tended to disagree with that statement. Turbulence is nothing more than moving air and when different currents interact horizontally or vertically, it disrupts the natural smooth flow causing "rough air." Temperature is a player as well but that isn't so much a factor in the drone "atmosphere." :) With few exceptions, all air is always moving but it's the higher velocities that get our attention. Hard to avoid turbulence but Lord knows every guy earning his living flying things around has asked ATC when they check in to a new frequency..."How's the ride?" And these are at Flight Levels..which start at 18,000', the base of Positive Control Airspace. So believe me when I say you can experience turbulence at any altitude.

Additionally, we all know that wind speed increases with altitude (generally,) and at Flight Level altitudes it can easily be 100kts + in the Winter. This fact makes the wind currents interactions even more violent.

(Gum flapping over) :)

Reactions: MavicFT1P
On a trip to Italy now. Decided to fly this afternoon because tho it was windy — weather app showed 15 mph winds, the forecasts for the city I’m in predicted worse weather the next couple of days.

So I climbed to 250 ft. and after taking some photos, I got the wind warning to carefully find a place to land. Well it was over water so I did some flying to shoot a video and then RTH.

On the ground it wasn’t that windy though there were some gusts. So I swapped batteries and took off again and after climbing over 150 ft, got warnings again. On the first flight, the warnings didn’t come until after I’d flown about 10-15 minutes.

Again, didn’t feel more windy. Eventually brought the M2P back but the RTH location was several feet off, near a building. So I had to move it more towards Home and then land.

I guess the warning says land ASAP, not necessarily RTH, so maybe kinda serious.

I don’t know if it’s related but got two prompts to calibrate compass so ended up doing it twice after each flight.
If the winds exceed the top speed of the drone, it is possible for it to be blown away. So, I tend to not fly in those conditions and aways into the wind on the way out so it helps with the return flight.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
If the winds exceed the top speed of the drone, it is possible for it to be blown away. So, I tend to not fly in those conditions and aways into the wind on the way out so it helps with the return flight.

Yes, you need to stay away from the Jet Stream

If you study hot air ballooning you'll see accomplished pilots can use wind direction and actually go one direction at one altitude then either rise/fall to a different wind direction and allows them to fly away and then back again... I'm sure they have even more sophisticated navigation techniques using thermals and varying wind directions. My wife and I rode in a hot air balloon... learned a lot about piloting. The landing was the coolest thing tho.

I believe the manual says avoid flying at wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s {22 mph.}
Why DJI uses m/s is ridiculous.
Why does DJI use m/s? Oh, I dunno, maybe because most of the world uses the metric system? Just a thought.

Reactions: Anterialis
Why does DJI use m/s? Oh, I dunno, maybe because most of the world uses the metric system? Just a thought.

I suspect the question was more about why m/s instead of km/hr which is more comparable to the referenced mph throughout the manuals. [emoji4]

The wind is always stronger higher up and compound that with being over water increases it. So you are using more battery and coming home could be harder. It is wise to heed the warnings, unless you want to get a new drone. A good app to have is “UAV Forecast” it shows different wind speeds for different altitudes. Right now for me it shows 10mph at 33 ft.and 17mph for 250ft. I am not sure how accurate it is, but good to check.
Never have problems with winds. Near ground gusty, aloft more stable but wind. I have no problems flying on real windy days, however the most important thing is know the wind direction. You'll be overjoyed and high fiving eachother with the tremendous win. Then it's time to turn around and reality hits. Your only 1mph with 35% battery. It's not going to land anywhere near u. Get it to just 400ft. Jump in your car and start driving toward it. When it decides to land on its own, itv does with precision and don't give a crap what's below. Water, trees, etc. Pick a place that you can access and a good landing site. You might get it back. Windy days stay close.

I believe the manual says avoid flying at wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s {22 mph.}
LOL! m/s is used in the metric system, standard and used worldwide (except in Liberia, Myanmar, and... wait for it... the United States of America :) Reference link in case you don't believe me.).

(I'll not go into trying to explain how much more logical the metric system is compared to the imperial. ;) )

Reactions: Comiw
Thing is, if it doesn’t have clearing to land, it hovers and gives you the option to force land over where it’s hoering.

So if it detects obstacles below, surely it could detect water below and not try to land?

Aren't obstacle sensors only on the front and back, not the bottom? If so, how could it land on the ground?

No country that I know expresses vehicle speed in meters per second. Could you imagine travelling in Germany and the speed sigh read: 36 mps instead of 130 kph ?? I get that the USA stands alone in the fight against the metric invasion-- :) --and to be honest I've become accustomed to speed signs in KPH from travelling in Canada. But meters per second? C'mon!

No country that I know expresses vehicle speed in meters per second. Could you imagine travelling in Germany and the speed sigh read: 36 mps instead of 130 kph ?? I get that the USA stands alone in the fight against the metric invasion-- :) --and to be honest I've become accustomed to speed signs in KPH from travelling in Canada. But meters per second? C'mon!

But this is wind speed, not vehicle speed. Meters per second is common for wind speed.

If you study hot air ballooning you'll see accomplished pilots can use wind direction and actually go one direction at one altitude then either rise/fall to a different wind direction and allows them to fly away and then back again... I'm sure they have even more sophisticated navigation techniques using thermals and varying wind directions. My wife and I rode in a hot air balloon... learned a lot about piloting. The landing was the coolest thing tho.
The "Albuquerque Box" at the International Balloon Festival is feature of that location, allowing a hot air balloon pilot to control their downwind flight direction based upon altitude.

Reactions: JakeRobinson
Hey. They're like us Canadians and most of the rest of the world using SI units.:)

I admit I didn't read all the responses, in my experience, very serious.
In the final analysis it's a matter of being capable of losing your aircraft and easily replacing it or not.

Piloting skill is one thing, but skill can't overcome physics. Headwinds or side winds more severe than your motors can overcome will win out everytime.

Do you feel that the sensors are wrong, or just lucky?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_