DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to create a flight plan (for flight permit)??

EtheriumSky

Reactions
Hi There,
I will be flying my Mavic 2 Pro near Osaka, Japan next month. I'm in the process of applying for flight permits, but need to give them a flight plan.
I gave them all the info including max altitude (500m) along with a map with coordinates:

But they are now asking me for a flight range - and i have no idea what that's meant to be...? I thought start and end points are my flight range. What else am i supposed to give them?

This is a recreational/non-commercial flight, shooting footage for a private project. I haven't been to the location before so it's kinda hard to plan ahead in such great detail - though I've done my best. In the past I usually flied in remote areas, over landscapes/nature and either go away without permits or the couple times i needed them the process was very simple. This time, it's Japan and over a park - but still inside a busy city - so I want to do this right. Could use any advice you guys can offer please. Especially - what else am i missing? What do they mean by flight range?

Thanks!

Reactions: Hauptmann
I would add distances to each of those segments on your map.

Thanks guys - just wondering - when adding distances, would I list that in meters measuring in a straight line? Or is there some more/other science to it?

And they mentioned that they want the range in the system of 60 (like the coordinates, with minutes and seconds etc) - so i don't really think they mean distance. Waiting for their clarification still, but in the meantime i'm asking here too.

Thanks!

Hi There,
I will be flying my Mavic 2 Pro near Osaka, Japan next month. I'm in the process of applying for flight permits, but need to give them a flight plan.
I gave them all the info including max altitude (500m) along with a map with coordinates:

View attachment 76838

But they are now asking me for a flight range - and i have no idea what that's meant to be...? I thought start and end points are my flight range. What else am i supposed to give them?

This is a recreational/non-commercial flight, shooting footage for a private project. I haven't been to the location before so it's kinda hard to plan ahead in such great detail - though I've done my best. In the past I usually flied in remote areas, over landscapes/nature and either go away without permits or the couple times i needed them the process was very simple. This time, it's Japan and over a park - but still inside a busy city - so I want to do this right. Could use any advice you guys can offer please. Especially - what else am i missing? What do they mean by flight range?

Thanks!
Just a guess, but if it's not a distance dimension that they might be looking for then could it be a 'range' of time...either flight duration or even more specific, the clock times for flight beginning and ending (i.e. beginning @ 1:15PM and ending at 2:30PM, possibly even including any battery swap out activity at point #1). I'm sure when they are thinking in Japanese that their question is very clear, but like you suspect, exactly what is their translation into English really intended to mean? A range of flight duration time, distance, or the actual flight's time-of-day window?

Anybody's guess on this is as good as mine!

So just in case anyone has the same question and finds this thread in the future:
What they wanted was actually a blocked out max range of my flight area - essentially a marked off square (or a pentagonal shape in my case) with the coordinates for each of the corners of that area.

Took me a week to properly understand what they wanted - but this was it. Anyways, it's been a month long process already, and just when i thought i was done today (got permission from their aviation bureau) - turns out now i have to start another process to get more permits from the local government as well as the countries Imperial Agency... Maan, this is too much busy work for a relatively simple flight. I'll have to post some kind of tutorial on my site about this process for anyone who might be applying for such permits in Japan once i'm finally through.

Reactions: dawgpilot
So just in case anyone has the same question and finds this thread in the future:
What they wanted was actually a blocked out max range of my flight area - essentially a marked off square (or a pentagonal shape in my case) with the coordinates for each of the corners of that area.

Took me a week to properly understand what they wanted - but this was it. Anyways, it's been a month long process already, and just when i thought i was done today (got permission from their aviation bureau) - turns out now i have to start another process to get more permits from the local government as well as the countries Imperial Agency... Maan, this is too much busy work for a relatively simple flight. I'll have to post some kind of tutorial on my site about this process for anyone who might be applying for such permits in Japan once i'm finally through.
Hi, Which website / app did you use to plot the flight plan? Cheers, Ben

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic