DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to downgrade your App for iPhone / iPad iOS

After downloading the DJI GO 4 app from the itunes store, I don't get the edit request from Charles, so I'm unable to proceed. I noticed others have had this same issue with nobody responding back to help them.

What might the issue be?

-Windows 10 (64 bit)
-Firefox browser

If the app was already completely downloaded in iTunes during the 1st half of the session, you can't do an "Edit Request" in Charles Proxy. Edit request is near the end of the process where you do the edit request > XML Text and then change the 8 digit integer number to the correct version number you found in the list for previous apps and chose the one you want to revert back to. Now earlier in the process, it instructs you to download the app in iTunes and then click on the download icon top right and the process dialogue shows the download. You must press delete two times to stop the download completely. If the download was never stopped then that is going to be the problem. The app isn't downloaded until the very end after edit request and then execute x 2. Then the download is executed. If this isn't the case for your problem, I have nothing else to suggest except to have the video opened in another smart device while doing the work on the PC exclusively. If you mess up during any step you will need to close Charles and iTunes. Be sure to disable "Break points" and "SSL Proxy" before closing Charles. Restart your PC and start a new session. I hope you find the problem. Oh BTW... I did not make this video. I was researching how to revert to older versions of apps for iOS and found this video. I actually found two videos. The first one didn't work after several attempts. I then went to the second video which took twice as long and has a lot more steps to perform for the entire process but it worked perfectly. So, I thought that others on this forum might have interest in being able to do this so I started this thread for the community.

Last edited:
What do you want to edit having DJI GO 4 app downloaded?

Not sure if you understand how the process works, but you download a new GO4 app that pauses in the process. At this point you edit in the app to the version want. Once edit is complete the download continues on as the version you want.

*Right now when I go to the itunes store all the apps that can be downloaded say the word "Get" and not "download". I have not uninstalled the GO4 app version I have on my mini 2. I'm not sure if that matters or not a this stage?

I did not know the above post existed because I didn't not reset the proxy.

Not sure if you understand how the process works, but you download a new GO4 app that pauses in the process. At this point you edit in the app to the version want. Once edit is complete the download continues on as the version you want.

*Right now when I go to the itunes store all the apps that can be downloaded say the word "Get" and not "download". I have not uninstalled the GO4 app version I have on my mini 2. I'm not sure if that matters or not a this stage?

I did not know the above post existed because I didn't not reset the proxy.

*Right now when I go to the itunes store all the apps that can be downloaded say the word "Get" and not "download". On your PC in iTunes it will say "Get" the first time since I did not already have a GO4 app in iTunes on my PC. That is when you Pause and Stop the download as per the instructions. After you enable SSL Proxy you go back to iTunes the second time it will say "Download" instead of get, click download to start then Pause and Stop it from downloading again.

For those of us that don't like the latest iOS (iPhone/iPad) app update for Go4 and would like to revert back to an older version that you did like better, here is a video with step by step instructions. Last night I was successful reverting from GO4 ver.4.1.0 to ver. 4.0.1 for iOS on my iPad mini 4 following these instructions. Note that I was not having any negative issues with 4.1.0, I just wanted to try this to see if it would work and it did. So for anyone using iOS devices and want to downgrade your app that is giving you problems, here you go.

You will need to use your PC to perform this process.

First, download and install iTunes 12.3.1 (newer versions will not work). If you have an older version, uninstall it after backing up what you need.

x64 http://eshareload.com/itunes/iTune%20...
x86: http://eshareload.com/itunes/iTunes%2...
WinXP: http://eshareload.com/itunes/iTunes%2...
Mac: http://eshareload.com/itunes/iTunes12...

Install iTunes, then download and install Charles Proxy 3.11.7 from the following page:
https://www.charlesproxy.com/previous...

Version sheet for DJI GO 4 located here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Here is the video with step by step instructions to follow. Cheers!!

RAMJET-1

No offense, but it looks like you just took all this information from my already created how-to's from my youtube page and posted here as your own. You are even using the direct download links from my latest video, as well as my Google sheets version list. Atleast give credit where credit is due man, I figured this all out way long ago and you are just copying/pasting it here. Anyone who knows me will know I'm 100% about the community (which is why i made that video in the first place after figuring it out) but posting it as your own is lame.

Here's MY DJI Go 4 video:
The original DJI Go video:

After downloading the DJI GO 4 app from the itunes store, I don't get the edit request from Charles, so I'm unable to proceed. I noticed others have had this same issue with nobody responding back to help them.

What might the issue be?

-Windows 10 (64 bit)
-Firefox browser

hey Frank - the app charles is supposed to interrupt the download before it ever starts. When you click download, you should be prompted for your login. Right after that, you should see this screen:

upload_2017-6-23_10-27-29.png

If you aren't seeing this screen, its not interrupting the download and it won't succeed.

There are a few reasons this screen won't pop up:

1. You are on too new of an itunes version (they stopped allowing this in versions after 12.3.1) -> Fix, remove itunes/delete folders and install 12.3.1
1. Break points is not enabled -> Fix, enable breakpoints
2. SSL proxy is not enabled -> Fix, enable SSL proxy
3. SSL Proxying not enabled for the p*.itunes.com server -> Fix, right click on the p10.itunes.com server list in the left side of Charles and see if its enabled, like this

r0XEm4U.png

You should also have seen this message, can you confirm you saw this one?

3e14PMC.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-23_10-33-40.png
    upload_2017-6-23_10-33-40.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 26
@digdat0 , I looked at both youtube postings a few days ago and based on what I saw, it crossed my mind that you might have 2 accounts on this site. Now that you have posted and cleared things up somewhat, I have more confidence this mod is going to work. The details you just posted will save me a great deal of time because most of the red flags you mentioned, I have. The new details will hopefully get me through.

I check my itunes version and it shows 12.3.1.23

Reactions: digdat0
Not sure if you understand how the process works, but you download a new GO4 app that pauses in the process.

Yeah - I understand how the process works. But the edit process takes place BEFORE you complete downloading the app. That's why I was surprised you wanted to edit something in the app that was already downloaded. English is not my native language so maybe there was a misunderstanding somewhere :)

haha im too lazy to manage two accounts frank!
@digdat0 , I looked at both youtube postings a few days ago and based on what I saw, it crossed my mind that you might have 2 accounts on this site. Now that you have posted and cleared things up somewhat, I have more confidence this mod is going to work. The details you just posted will save me a great deal of time because most of the red flags you mentioned, I have. The new details will hopefully get me through.

I check my itunes version and it shows 12.3.1.23
lemme know if i can help. on my setup i can do it every time .. bring the Mavic over and we'll make it a bbq :p

I have not had any luck what so ever. I have uninstalled itunes and reinstalled. After setting the breakpoints and checking windows proxy, from itunes I click "Get" to download and it just continues to a sign off sheet of some kind.

At this point I restart my pc and again get nowhere.

I have not had any luck what so ever. I have uninstalled itunes and reinstalled. After setting the breakpoints and checking windows proxy, from itunes I click "Get" to download and it just continues to a sign off sheet of some kind.

At this point I restart my pc and again get nowhere.

after hitting get, it will ask to sign-in. you do need to Sign in at that point to your itunes account, right after it is when you get the first prompt from Charles.

after hitting get, it will ask to sign-in. you do need to Sign in at that point to your itunes account, right after it is when you get the first prompt from Charles.

No it doesn't ask to sign in. I think I set to remember login each time and I do not know where to cancel that now.

I just signed out of itunes which may work. I something else I have to for the 45 min and then I will try again. Is there some way I can reach you?

just pm'd ya, here's a vid of how quick an easy it is for me

Reactions: RAMJET-1
Dumb new question. How do we get it from the PC to the mini 4 tablet?
after it downloads into itunes you plugin your ipad via usb to the pc and then sync with itunes. The app will install.

No offense, but it looks like you just took all this information from my already created how-to's from my youtube page and posted here as your own. You are even using the direct download links from my latest video, as well as my Google sheets version list. Atleast give credit where credit is due man, I figured this all out way long ago and you are just copying/pasting it here. Anyone who knows me will know I'm 100% about the community (which is why i made that video in the first place after figuring it out) but posting it as your own is lame.

Here's MY DJI Go 4 video:
The original DJI Go video:

Hello digdat0,

I greatly apologize to you. When I posted this I had no intentions of claiming it to be mine. I had just recently got my first Apple, a iPad mini 4 and I had not seen anything in regards to how to downgrade iOS apps until I saw your video and another similar video on Utube. I was only trying to help others, nothing more. In no way was I trying to take credit for your work. I agree, I should have mentioned you as the author and I apologize for not doing so. I have made an edit to the 1st post in this thread to reflect who the authors of the instructional information and video are. Hope this clears everything up.

Last edited:
Thank you RAMJET-1 ! Your procedure worked perfectly. I downgraded from the latest DJI GO 4 app (version 4.1.2) to version 4.0.5
A couple helpful comments for others doing this:
- when you uninstall a newer version of iTunes and install the iTunes 12.3.1, when you try to start iTunes, it will say "The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes". It is then necessary to manually delete the file iTunes Library.itl and the iTunes then will start normally
- the trial version of Charles Proxy times out and automatically quits after 30 minutes, so make sure you complete the whole procedure in time

I had to downgrade the DJI GO 4 app because, starting about with the version that introduced the "fixed wing" flying mode, the video feed to my iPad mini 2 became choppy, would freeze for several seconds and then update. This was especially noticeable in the intelligent flying modes, specifically in "Point of Interest" mode. It made it almost impossible to make a good video; for example when trying to tilt the camera downwards to see my house while flying around it, I could not see the camera moving so I ended up tilting it too fast, or overshooting, etc. I made an assumption that the newer versions of the DJI GO 4 app included more code (added features, added goggles support, added SPARK support) and therefore presented more of a load to the iPad CPU. I think it has been a correct assumption, because after the downgrade, I tested the video feed in the same "Point of Interest" mode and the video feed has been perfect, no picture freezing, no jumps. Now I am again a happy MAVIC pilot!

Hello digdat0,
I greatly apologize to you. When I posted this I had no intentions of claiming it to be mine. I had just recently got my first Apple, a iPad mini 4 and I had not seen anything in regards to how to downgrade iOS apps until I say your video and another on Utube. I was only trying to help others, nothing more. In no way was I trying to take credit for your work. I agree, I should have mentioned you as the author and I apologize for not doing so. I have made an edit to the 1st post in this thread to reflect who the authors of the instructional information and video are. Hope this clears everything up.

hey man - thanks and its all good, i apologize too .. should have realized you were just trying to help people and not bust your balls, that's what im all about is helping folks :) MavicPilots - take note RAMJET-1 is the example of a gentleman and is the kinda person we should hope to be when working together. :)

I worked with flyNfrank today and got his iTunes to download the older version (flyNfrank i hope you dont mind me sharing, and hope it synced over okay!). We found that his iTunes was the right version and Charles was fully setup, but for some reason it would not interrupt the download.

upload_2017-6-26_13-27-46.png

After trying a few times, installing certificates we looked at the acutal web request and while the search was working, the download was actually timing out. its because for some reason the server p10-itunes.apple.com was SSL enabled, but the functions it was calling were not SSL enabled.

upload_2017-6-26_13-34-39.png

We right clicked on the wa folder and low and behold, SSL proxy was not enabled there.

upload_2017-6-26_13-36-47.png

We enabled SSL Proxying for that and it worked the next step.

For some reason it seems that Charles will enable SSL proxy on the server, but the actions its calling are not SSL proxy enabled, which they have to be to interrupt the download and populate the older version number.

So if you are trying and the download is never stopped, check that folder for SSL proxy.

Reactions: RAMJET-1
hey man - thanks and its all good, i apologize too .. should have realized you were just trying to help people and not bust your balls, that's what im all about is helping folks :) MavicPilots - take note RAMJET-1 is the example of a gentleman and is the kinda person we should hope to be when working together. :)

I worked with flyNfrank today and got his iTunes to download the older version (flyNfrank i hope you dont mind me sharing, and hope it synced over okay!). We found that his iTunes was the right version and Charles was fully setup, but for some reason it would not interrupt the download.

View attachment 15852

After trying a few times, installing certificates we looked at the acutal web request and while the search was working, the download was actually timing out. its because for some reason the server p10-itunes.apple.com was SSL enabled, but the functions it was calling were not SSL enabled.

View attachment 15853

We right clicked on the wa folder and low and behold, SSL proxy was not enabled there.

View attachment 15854

We enabled SSL Proxying for that and it worked the next step.

For some reason it seems that Charles will enable SSL proxy on the server, but the actions its calling are not SSL proxy enabled, which they have to be to interrupt the download and populate the older version number.

So if you are trying and the download is never stopped, check that folder for SSL proxy.

Hey digdat0... That was a good find in regards to SSL Proxy Disabled!! Have to think outside the box when everything inside the box looks correct I guess. Glad to be on the same team man.;)Thumbswayup:D

Thank you RAMJET-1 ! Your procedure worked perfectly. I downgraded from the latest DJI GO 4 app (version 4.1.2) to version 4.0.5
A couple helpful comments for others doing this:
- when you uninstall a newer version of iTunes and install the iTunes 12.3.1, when you try to start iTunes, it will say "The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes". It is then necessary to manually delete the file iTunes Library.itl and the iTunes then will start normally
- the trial version of Charles Proxy times out and automatically quits after 30 minutes, so make sure you complete the whole procedure in time

I had to downgrade the DJI GO 4 app because, starting about with the version that introduced the "fixed wing" flying mode, the video feed to my iPad mini 2 became choppy, would freeze for several seconds and then update. This was especially noticeable in the intelligent flying modes, specifically in "Point of Interest" mode. It made it almost impossible to make a good video; for example when trying to tilt the camera downwards to see my house while flying around it, I could not see the camera moving so I ended up tilting it too fast, or overshooting, etc. I made an assumption that the newer versions of the DJI GO 4 app included more code (added features, added goggles support, added SPARK support) and therefore presented more of a load to the iPad CPU. I think it has been a correct assumption, because after the downgrade, I tested the video feed in the same "Point of Interest" mode and the video feed has been perfect, no picture freezing, no jumps. Now I am again a happy MAVIC pilot!
Hey gjanu... Glad you were successful and a happy camper again!! Give thanks to digdat0 and Jerry Dotson because it was there procedures... not mine. I found their info on Utube and posted it here in hopes others may prosper from it. In this case, I was just the third party messenger:). Glad it worked for you though. Happy Flying!!!!Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters