DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Exceed Max Altitude for Mountain Flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanth

Reactions
I live at the base of a very tall mountain. I like to use my Mavic to explore, but the 500m Max Altitude restriction is cramping my style. I know there are people crouched and ready to finger wag whenever someone talks about flying above 500m, but we all know that the actual FAA restriction is 400 ft above ground level. I've attached a frame grab that was taken at 500m and you can see that I'm definitely not anywhere close to 400 ft AGL. I'm wondering if I find a flat rock whether I could put down and reset the ground altitude. Not my first choice since a sudden gust could instantly create a Mavic-or-your-life mountain climbing decision. Any (worthwhile) suggestions?

Attachments

• DJI_0004.00_03_16_24.Still001.jpg
    DJI_0004.00_03_16_24.Still001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,423
500 meters or feet? I too would like an answer to this.

The default setting is 400 ft, but you can change that value to anything up to 500 m (~1600 ft.). In my case that's still ~1000 ft below the summit, and therefore still 1400 ft below the legal altitude limit.

Reactions: VMImaging
I think you can go to max altitude hit the return to home button and push full stick up. Then cancel the return to home. Never tried it just read it somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think you can go to max altitude hit the return to home button and push full stick up. Then cancel the return to home. Never tried it just read it somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'll try it and report back. Thanks

I think this particular workaround in the DJI Go app was removed around a year ago - before Mavics time. Never tried it myself though.
But search youtube for "Mavic Cloud Surfing" - some have done it.

Reactions: TerryJ
I live in the mountains too and landing on a flat rock and resetting your home point won't work either. It will reset the horizontal home point positions but the only way to reset the vertical (elevation) is to turn off the aircraft and turn it back on. Been there, tried that.

I live at the base of a very tall mountain. I like to use my Mavic to explore, but the 500m Max Altitude restriction is cramping my style. I know there are people crouched and ready to finger wag whenever someone talks about flying above 500m, but we all know that the actual FAA restriction is 400 ft above ground level. I've attached a frame grab that was taken at 500m and you can see that I'm definitely not anywhere close to 400 ft AGL. I'm wondering if I find a flat rock whether I could put down and reset the ground altitude. Not my first choice since a sudden gust could instantly create a Mavic-or-your-life mountain climbing decision. Any (worthwhile) suggestions?
I think you are confusing "above sea level" (ASL) with "above ground level" (AGL). I live at 7,800 ft (2,377 m) ASL and have no problem.

Looking at your picture I would guess that it was taken well above 1,640 feet unless you are in the Brooks Range of Alaska. It looks like Colorado?

I think you are confusing "above sea level" (ASL) with "above ground level" (AGL). I live at 7,800 ft (2,377 m) ASL and have no problem.

Looking at your picture I would guess that it was taken well above 1,640 feet unless you are in the Brooks Range of Alaska. It looks like Colorado?

Like the original poster I have mountains within two miles that are more that 2000 feet above my house so I can not clear them taking off from "home". Are you saying you would have "no problem" getting over them? I think you may be confused about who is confused.

No way to overcome the 500 meter restriction but there is a setting allowing you to tilt the camera angle up to 30 degrees above the horizon so at least you can look up the mountain.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I live and fly alot in mountainous terrain as well. The only work around I know of is to hike to a high point such as a high ridge or mountain top and take off from there. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd wager that the DJI GO app will allow you to descend more than 500 m below your starting point allowing you "override" the altitude barrier.

Reactions: Rbruz and PT_Mavic
There have been documented flights of Mavic at 14000-18000+ feet above mean sea level.
I did'nt say it was'nt possible. to achieve these hieghts.. but a cautionary comment...
Perhaps the members who seek these flying height should ask those who have achieved it, as to how they overcame the limitations of the app

I did'nt say it was'nt possible. to achieve these hieghts.. but a cautionary comment...
Perhaps the members who seek these flying height should ask those who have achieved it, as to how they overcame the limitations of the app

Again, this is quite well documented. You're confusing altitude above sea level, for altitude above take-off. Please read any number of other threads that cover this in detail. I pick an earlier post at random: Maximum allowable altitude in the UK

Again, this is quite well documented. You're confusing altitude above sea level, for altitude above take-off. Please read any number of other threads that cover this in detail. I pick an earlier post at random: Maximum allowable altitude in the UK
I fully understand the comment and the laws in the UK.. but read my comments.. I have never mentioned above sea level or take off point.
I also own a Inspire and P4 and for my personal preference, I would be hesitant to fly my mavic at 500m .. wether above seal level or from the take of point half way up a mountain...

These are only my personal feelings.. and as I'm a responsible flyer who does'nt live in a area where I feel the need to fly above that height.... 400ft is adequate for my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143