DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to fly a drone front of a forward moving car?

lomposlapos

Reactions
How to shoot a forward moving car (or boat, person, etc.) from the front (ie, the drone flies backward front of the car)?

Tracking from the top/above, from behind, form the side works well, could not figure our how to do from the front.

How to shoot a forward moving car (or boat, person, etc.) from the front (ie, the drone flies backward front of the car)?
It's pretty easy to just fly backwards in front of the target and shoot manually.
DJI_0785aa-L.jpg

Reactions: GFields
Not an ideal solution on routes that worth shooting at. This needs to be self-tracking like all the other tracking modes. So this is confirming that there is no such built-in function?
AFAIK, not implemented.

Would be more difficult than following, too, because it would have to anticipate that you were going to turn a corner and maneuver accordingly.

I suppose the in-front-of shot could become a to-the-side-of shot when the car turns, then gradually move to the front again as the drone overtakes the vehicle, but being consistently in front looking back would require foreknowledge of the car's movement.

Your best bet might be to have the pilot in the passenger seat. They could still use Spotlight to keep the car in the frame, if it helped. (I think it would, but haven't tried it.)

Even if it were legal, It would be a risky unsafe action. Your going to take your hands off the controls of a boat or vehicle why you fly the drone. Whose controlling the vehicle to prevent an unforeseen emergency/accident?

You're asking the aircraft to predict/anticipate your path so it can make inflight adjustments and stay ahead of you. That's probably asking more than that AI is currently able to do.

Reactions: GFields
Sit in the back of a vehicle with an opening like a pickup truck or SUV that has a lift gate you can open and just hold the drone. Seriously. I work in TV/Film and have been asked to both follow and lead cars with actors. Works great, is way safer, and you can go for miles. When following, I’ve mounted the drone to the hood with heavy duty suction mounts.

Tracking from the top/above, from behind, form the side works well, could not figure our how to do from the front.
Have you tried "Lead Me" mode?

This video is older. At the time "Lead Me mode" was in beta and only available for the Inspire 1, but I believe it is now available for all DJI models.

D

Last edited:
Sit in the back of a vehicle with an opening like a pickup truck or SUV that has a lift gate you can open and just hold the drone. Seriously. I work in TV/Film and have been asked to both follow and lead cars with actors. Works great, is way safer, and you can go for miles. When following, I’ve mounted the drone to the hood with heavy duty suction mounts.
Good idea, when I've suggested holding the drone for a particular shot, rather than flying it, the director, who is my friend will say, What's the fun in that!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Thanks for the answers. So there is not an option to do both, drive the car or boat and record it from the front from a fixed distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000