DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to manually execute a maneuver like 'Course Lock'

JPG_master

Reactions
Hi all,
I am brandnew here but already many decades on earth ;-)
I recently did fly a "Point of Interest" cirvcle manually.

No I am looking for some advices for the manual maneuver which is "equivalent" to what the IFM 'course lock' does.

I assume it (Sticks in mode 2) slowly moving the right and left sticks in opposite direction - e.g. towards each other - while continuing to move right stick down until almost flying backwards.
In parallel slowly moving the left stick up again to slow down rotation.

A.) correct?
B.) anywhere to find written advices / tutorial? (Had no google hits)

thanks

and for those how celebrate it: Merry Xmas
for those who don't for any reason: don't feel offended and enjoy your day.

Why not just fly in course lock? It's one of the Mavic flight modes.

DJI-GO-Flight-Modes.jpg

Why not just fly in course lock? It's one of the Mavic flight modes.

View attachment 27417

Yep, I know.
I also use Litchi ... full Auto-Pilot .. let the mavic start, go for a coffee, and pich it up again, whe it returned and landed ... BUT ...

When you fly somewhere and all of a sudden to the right you see something, you would like to have on your film without slowing down or hovering, turn on mode , adjust ... and the same reverse when ended... then it would be good to know, how to manually execute a similiar maneuver .. this is why i asked.

E.g. having a very stretched Castle on top of the hill the POI mode is insufficient as you would either need a huge circle or cut off the edges ... so fly it manually.

Reactions: HVYMTL
In the case of the castle, I would set a Waypoint mission. That way, you can position the Mavic at each point to get the final product you are looking for. I think Waypoint is one of the most powerful IFM's.

Hi all,
I am brandnew here but already many decades on earth ;-)
I recently did fly a "Point of Interest" cirvcle manually.

No I am looking for some advices for the manual maneuver which is "equivalent" to what the IFM 'course lock' does.

I assume it (Sticks in mode 2) slowly moving the right and left sticks in opposite direction - e.g. towards each other - while continuing to move right stick down until almost flying backwards.
In parallel slowly moving the left stick up again to slow down rotation.

A.) correct?
B.) anywhere to find written advices / tutorial? (Had no google hits)

thanks

and for those how celebrate it: Merry Xmas
for those who don't for any reason: don't feel offended and enjoy your day.
Careful, that stick combination looks like it gets close to a CSC command to kill the motors. If you push both sticks down and in, like to start the motors while running, it will turn off the motors and turn the MP into a rock in the air.

Reactions: MadValley
Careful, that stick combination looks like it gets close to a CSC command to kill the motors. If you push both sticks down and in, like to start the motors while running, it will turn off the motors and turn the MP into a rock in the air.

Yep, got it, makes sense from this point of view. Sounds like a very valid aspect .. unfortunately :(

But I am pretty sure that there should / must / will be a way, to manually execute this maneuver ... just to be prepared and also improve personal flight skills.

BTW ... eventhoug you are right ... the required Turn-maneuver is complete with the sticks at (clock face as reference) 3 o'clock resp 9 o'clock.
The risk you mention exists with "over-steering" of course and when e.g. descending in parallel.

Keen to see, if there is anybody out there, that can help and has done that maneuver manually.

In the case of the castle, I would set a Waypoint mission. That way, you can position the Mavic at each point to get the final product you are looking for. I think Waypoint is one of the most powerful IFM's.
thanks so much for you hints.
this is well knwon, but I found myself in many spontanueos situations where the waypoint prep is fa raway from the lists of options.

Basically you have to rotate the angle you've got your right stick at by the same angle your aircraft's nose is offset from the direction the aircraft's nose was pointing initially.

Assuming you're flying straight and initiate a right turn by giving some fixed input to the yaw stick you have to slowly move the right stick counterclockwise at a speed that matches your yaw rate.

I've been playing around with something similar where I want to execute a smooth figure-8 around a POI. Here's what I found: It's freaking difficult. I think it's one of those things that's going to take hours of practice to get good at all the while worrying that I'll kill the motors. So, the way to do it is just go and practice small and close to the ground until you get the stick motion down. Fly in tripod mode to give yourself time to think. And then scale up the maneuver from there. It's all about building muscle memory so when you think "I want to do X!" your fingers already know how to do that without thinking about it.

It's all about building muscle memory so when you think "I want to do X!" your fingers already know how to do that without thinking about it.
Funny that, when I think how to explain it in words I struggle but with the sticks in front of me I just do it without thinking.

Your right, it's just practice, trial and error.

I've been playing around with something similar where I want to execute a smooth figure-8 around a POI. Here's what I found: It's freaking difficult. I think it's one of those things that's going to take hours of practice to get good at all the while worrying that I'll kill the motors. So, the way to do it is just go and practice small and close to the ground until you get the stick motion down. Fly in tripod mode to give yourself time to think. And then scale up the maneuver from there. It's all about building muscle memory so when you think "I want to do X!" your fingers already know how to do that without thinking about it.

Yes and yes.

Training and training and training ... and the risk in mind.
The tripod mode already was one of my assupmtions as well.

What I am curious about is, that in my idea there will be a least a little backward motion required, which makes it as hard as the figure-8.
And from this backward one again quickly turn forward:
Assume, you walk along the sidewalk and someone passes by, you want to look at.
You keep walking, slowly turn facing to the person and when the person is passing by, you completely turn - still looking at the object - and start walking backward ... still in the original direction.
and then you wuickly turn to continue the direction but again walk forward.

I probably need to override the enregency turn-off and practice as recommended

Funny that, when I think how to explain it in words I struggle but with the sticks in front of me I just do it without thinking.

Your right, it's just practice, trial and error.

Callum, LOL,

pls recall you memories and try to explain in words, ok???
IMPORTANT :cool:

Yes and yes.

Training and training and training ... and the risk in mind.
The tripod mode already was one of my assupmtions as well.

What I am curious about is, that in my idea there will be a least a little backward motion required, which makes it as hard as the figure-8.
And from this backward one again quickly turn forward:
Assume, you walk along the sidewalk and someone passes by, you want to look at.
You keep walking, slowly turn facing to the person and when the person is passing by, you completely turn - still looking at the object - and start walking backward ... still in the original direction.
and then you wuickly turn to continue the direction but again walk forward.

I probably need to override the enregency turn-off and practice as recommended

So, here's an idea. Go get the beta for Drone Harmony (it's free right now, go to Drone Harmony - Optimal mission planning for DJI Drones they have the link into the play store (not sure if they have iOS yet, so if you have iOs you'll have to do this in DJI GO 4 Pro GS Ultra for iStuff (or whatever they call it) or Litchi)). Then map out a mission - low altitude, camera angles, everything... - and fly it. Tweak your parameters until you get exactly what you're looking for. Then fly it and walk alongside imagining what stick movements you'll need to do to replicate the motion. Then practice that until you can fly the pattern the same way the computer can.

So, here's an idea. Go get the beta for Drone Harmony (it's free right now, go to Drone Harmony - Optimal mission planning for DJI Drones they have the link into the play store (not sure if they have iOS yet, so if you have iOs you'll have to do this in DJI GO 4 Pro GS Ultra for iStuff (or whatever they call it) or Litchi)). Then map out a mission - low altitude, camera angles, everything... - and fly it. Tweak your parameters until you get exactly what you're looking for. Then fly it and walk alongside imagining what stick movements you'll need to do to replicate the motion. Then practice that until you can fly the pattern the same way the computer can.

YES.

But the harmony guys unfortunately up to now only support android. (Maybe I'd ask my lady for e new phone ... low probability for be successful ;-) )
This tool really looks very good.

Else I'll follow your idea somehow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54