DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to remember to remove Gimbal cover before flight

Hi-Flyer

Reactions
Being new to the Mavic Air I have inadvertently taken off once or twice without removing the Gimbal cover. Fortunately no damage resulted. I am about to ensure that this won't happen again by copying the behavior of (military) jet fighter planes while they are inactive. These planes have large air intakes, and while they are inactive the intakes are covered with large lids to prevent entry of foreign materials. In order to verify removal of all lids prior to ignition and take-off, large and long, flowing colorful ribbons are connected to the lids, thus rendering their presence visible from a distance. That is what I am about to do with my Gimbal protector.

No worries. Nobody has ever damaged a gimbal because they left the guard on.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfwater69
As a GA pilot i am used to check lists. Developed my own, laminated it and carry in my bag. Use it for every flight.

Reactions: ksmusa
Sort'a like this?

NOT my idea originally, but thought I'd try to clearly show a couple of high visibility mods in a simple pic set. I've substituted in a red thimble guard and added a tag.

I too use a checklist, but not before each and every takeoff. I have caught myself installing my gimble guard while reviewing taken footage, or during battery breaks only to attempt takeoff with guard still on. The gimble guard has been known to cause premature gimble motor issues if left on when in operation. I have pets and there are often others who lift my drone when "landed and resting" so below was my assurance step.
58bdbaab6f6493bde4e3481538c1c248.jpg

f13e430c6a4ddc72b54b362ee4d27d1f.jpg

fbaf05b227f7426416be677b59db399a.jpg

13b0d1895220a7542183e97ce6231f1c.jpg

56cead5d2fc36b31c365dee21be85c9f.jpg

Last edited:
“Remove before flight” -Pulls cord and gimbal of the drone.
Seriously though, that looks awesome!

Reactions: TrailH4x
I’d love 10c for every person that has “come up with this idea”

Being new to the Mavic Air I have inadvertently taken off once or twice without removing the Gimbal cover. Fortunately no damage resulted. I am about to ensure that this won't happen again by copying the behavior of (military) jet fighter planes while they are inactive. These planes have large air intakes, and while they are inactive the intakes are covered with large lids to prevent entry of foreign materials. In order to verify removal of all lids prior to ignition and take-off, large and long, flowing colorful ribbons are connected to the lids, thus rendering their presence visible from a distance. That is what I am about to do with my Gimbal protector.

As others have said, include it as an item in you pre-flight checklist.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom