DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to take my Mavic Pro on a long haul Virgin Flight to South Africa

Nkosisikelele

Reactions
Hi. I'm heading to Johannesburg in August to take some (hopefully) great shots in Namibia and SA. Any advice from anyone about the best way to take my drone and spare batteries on the long haul flight with Virgin to Jo'burg, and then into Nambia by short haul flight? The Virgin site implies that to take it in hand luggage is ok, but it would be good to hear from someone who has done it.

Thanks

Not 100% sure, but I don't think you're allowed to put the batteries in your checked luggage, so you'll be forced to take them in carry-on.

Carry on

I was in South Africa in May this year, I flew from Atlanta to Johannesburg. My drone was in my carry on back pack with all batteries, controller and related gadgets. No problems at all, if you have TSA pre clear then its a breeze through security. LIPO batteries are not allowed in checked in luggage, they have to go with your carry on.
Internal flights in SA were not an issue either, everything went carry on.
My checked in luggage was delayed for 4 days, so its a good thing I had my drone with me as carry on.
PS.... luggage theft is notoriously bad in SA airports, and every where else. Be vigilant if you want to keep your valuables ;)

I purchased LiPo battery bags from Amazon and always carry drone and batteries in my carry on.Never a problem with American Airlines in USA. They don't want you to put Lithium batteries in baggage because of danger of fire in cargo hold.In fact, you need to sign off on "no lithium batteries" on the AA website when booking a ticket.

I too am planning flight to Africa in 3 weeks and hoping to get my gear through customs in Zambia and Madagascar.

Hi. I'm heading to Johannesburg in August to take some (hopefully) great shots in Namibia and SA. Any advice from anyone about the best way to take my drone and spare batteries on the long haul flight with Virgin to Jo'burg, and then into Nambia by short haul flight? The Virgin site implies that to take it in hand luggage is ok, but it would be good to hear from someone who has done it.

Thanks
I flew May/June 2019 from UK to Johannesburg then Durban to Port Elizabeth, followed by Cape Town back to Johannesburg & onward to UK with my Mavic, one battery on the bird, 3 spare batteries plus odds & sods in a Tomcase (www.tomcase.de). This small case was all I had in carry-on. During previous trips to Indonesia and Zimbabwe/Botswana I additionally had in carry-on a back-pack filled with several video cameras, video lights & spare lithium-ion batteries. No room for the bird in the back-pack, so on both trips hand-held the Mavic, RC cables, propellers etc inside a Fly More bag with 2 extra Mavic batteries (at 25% power) in the side pockets with the contacts taped up for safety. If questioned, say it's a camera, which it is, just that it's a flying camera! Never questioned or queried at any time. As others have stated, no lithium-ion batteries in checked baggage in the hold! In the cabin flight staff have access to fire extinguishers, but if the batteries caught fire in the hold carry a parachute, you might need it!

I've been checked at a few airports (PER, SPU, LHR) and some others for the total number of Wh storage - there seemed to be a limit based on total number of Wh carried (160-180) in the form of spare batteries (only on carry-on, not allowed in checked bags) and one airport limited the number of spare batteries to 2. Couldn't get a definitive view though. The Civil Aviation Authority seems to be the regulator.

Sounds like you should be OK.

Hi everyone thanks so much for all the advice. Hopefully I will be able to share some great footage when I return.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31