DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to tell my wife when you purchase something

I joked about this the other day here, actually. We have separate bank accounts, I pay a majority of the bills, and I rarely get things for myself. I like to make little videos of her for her Instagram and the small car that’s on her left hand gets me some wiggle room.

Hmm my response would be,Honey you know that extra money we had, well I bought a new drone for $400 dollars
[emoji16][emoji927]
lol I could not stop myself from doing it

After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.
How do you tell your wife when you purchase a new drone or something expensive.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

I tend to hide with stuff more than $300.00

How about you guys ?

I've read the thread and did not see anyone mention that they would have no trouble telling *your* wife about a purchase! Ours on the other hand require special handling...

• Haha
Reactions: MA2 317 and zeusfl
Same as a previous replier. With my previous wife we had joint bank accounts and credit cards. When we broke up she and her attorney got the vast majority of it. In my new marriage we are far more open and organised with our finances. We have a budgeted amount that we both contribute to each month for combined savings, expenses and agreed investments. After that what we do with the remainder of our income is of absolutely no interest to the other. I learnt this from a friend of mine who told me to run the finances in a marriage the same as you would the finances in a business partnership. At first I thought he was daft, but after living it for nearly 10 years now I realise he was right on the money. My current wife and I do not squabble over money, or what the other buys with their money and we are building wealth together as a couple / team. It is how it is supposed to be. Imagine being in a sporting team where you are trying to win a game but keeping your play secret from your team members, how the heck can you possibly win. Recipe for disaster, which is how my first marriage ended.

Words of wisdom.

I joked about this the other day here, actually. We have separate bank accounts, I pay a majority of the bills, and I rarely get things for myself. I like to make little videos of her for her Instagram and the small car that’s on her left hand gets me some wiggle room.
Like I said earlier...”small boxes”.

Reactions: MMPerrish
We ,as well,have access to our personal "mad money" after all is paid.
My wife has a passion and talent in silk flower arrangements and crafts.Her choice.
I am also fortunate in that my wife pointed-out I have a 10 year attention span for my hobbies.
Fly tying, fishing,rod building...10 years
Landscape /airshow photography...10 years
RC planes and quadcopters...3 years and counting
YMCA Fitness...1 year and counting....

My wife and I both work and keep our accounts separate. We split the bills 50 50 each month and whatever else we do with our cash is up to us. She spent $300 on a haircut last week so she has absolutely no reason to question any of my new flying toys, not that she would recognize a new one anyway!

After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

How about you guys ?

How about you guys ?
I am married to the same woman since 1964. Our anniversary (56 years tomorrow as a matter of fact!). I started out as a poor medical student and my wife became a grade school teacher. I have worked my tail off for many years and am now retired. We have improved our financial status since then, of course, and we have always had just one checkbook. There is no such thing in our family as "my money and your money." We stopped giving each other gifts many years ago. We each get what we want to get. Simple solution. We are fortunate in having the means to do this, which I can understand that everyone on this panel is in a different situation. My solution works for us, but to each his own!

How about you guys ?

Well...I'm the female part of our partnership & always have to tell my partner that I need a new drone!! And he - finally (after me buying them since the Phantom II and into the Mavic series) got his own drone!! Porterman makes good points, in all seriousness. If I found out my partner was hiding purchases, I'd be wondering what other things he was hiding from me. Thankfully, we're open about buying stuff :) And thankfully, he saw the wisdom in me convincing him to buy a smart controller for his Mavic Air 2!

How about you guys ?
Get a divorce and then you can buy anything you want

Reactions: Wilbur
Personally, I don’t really care if you tell your wife when I purchase something.
*shrug*

• Haha
Reactions: LeeHene

How about you guys ?
I think the healthiest thing to do is to sit down with your wife, do your budget, see what disposable income you have after covering all usual expenses, and then decide how much from the remaining amount goes into savings, what goes into shared activities such as trips, and what goes into hobbies. From that last amount, you can use half, and your wife can use half - no questions asked.

I haven't done this but I do know a guy who intentionally became good friends with a bike shop owner. He bought the bike then asked the shop owner to call while the man's wife was at home to congratulate her husband on winning the grand prize in their drawing. He won a new bike! Tell him to come pick it up! Yeah!

I suppose it is the same for drones as it is for guns, vehicles, racing bicycles (my Achilles heel), guitars, and on and on. . . the number you need to be happy is n+1.

Reactions: superdave5050
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike