DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to tell my wife when you purchase something

We've been married for 30 years and never argued about money. We both work and have separate accounts with all bills proportionately divided. It's worked very well all these years and really makes it easy to budget for your own hobbies, vehicles, so forth. Now if I could get my portion percentage to less than 80%, I'd be in there...:rolleyes:

40+ years of marriage for us. My wife retired from work 37 years ago when our first son was born. I didn’t know it at the time.....I thought she was just taking time off for the baby.

Anyway I’ve always been the only one with an income. I pay all the bills and handle all the finances. Not because I’m controlling and hide it from her, she just doesn’t like fooling with such things. If I should die in a freak droning accident she would be in a world of hurt if not for my grown sons to help her out.

Anyway I’m off topic. I have multiple drones. I’m looking for another smart controller now for my P4P. My wife can’t really tell the difference in any of my drones....nor does she care. She does gets sentimental about things. The drone that I did part ways with was my Inspire 2. I have a room upstairs called the Hobby Room. I keep my drones up there along with what was an over the top Carrera digital slot car collection! The Inspire was in a landing mode case and was a beast to carry up and down the stairs and load up each time. When I finally sold the Inspire she kept asking me.”are you sure”? “ I know you loved that drone!”

So this is long winded I know but she supports me because she realizes there are far worse habits.

Oh and I also have the Osmo Pocket, Plus and Pro Raw! With those I film the grandkids so that’s okay!

Thank you DJI for making all the phantom series gray foam cases the same.
As long as I just have one in the house, she doesn’t really know how many are in the fleet. I keep them at work and just bring home the one I want to fly that weekend.
Out of sight, out of mind.

After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.
How do you tell your wife when you purchase a new drone or something expensive.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

I tend to hide with stuff more than $300.00

How about you guys ?
I am married to my one and only wife since 1964 (56 years) . We are fortunate in having done well due to many years of hard work in my medical practice and retirement investments. We have one checkbook, one credit card and we do not question each other's purchases. We do not give each other any gifts or cards. We decided on that many years ago.

I've had the same issue with purchasing things but since I do pay all the bills and she also works I don't feel I need permission to buy anything. I had to replace my IPad due to dropping the old one. It was prorated under warranty but it still cost me around $600. She voiced her displeasure and I reminded her that bills are paid, food is plentiful, and I don't make comments about things she purchases. I also asked her how much she pays a month to have her hair and nails done???? She now seems to bite her tongue instead of unwarranted comments. We all have different circumstances so this is likely an unanswerable question. I suppose you could suspend a piece of her favorite jewelry from your new drone and lower it down to her commenting, "how do you like OUR new drone". Just saying!

When I got my M2P I told her it cost just a few hundred and the other two drones I keep in the garage and she doesn’t mind as long as I use it or them Now If I didn’t use them much that would be a different story

Reactions: theDRONEranger
Amazon has started something new called Pickup Points. If you don't want to ship to the house, you can ship to a nearby pickup place (the GNC near me is one) and avoid those awkward moments at home when a big package arrives (or a little expensive package).

Reactions: Drgnfli
Too funny! I found a good family video that some guy made using his drone on a family vacation. My Wife watched it and said wow! We should get one! Aw honey... are you sure, they are expensive!
My wife gave me a (friendly) hard time when I told her I was getting a drone until I documented the family beach vacation and she saw how cool our young grandchildren thought it was. She didn't even give me a hard time when I sold the Mini and bought an Air 2.

I'm fortunate that there's no need to hide my purchases from my other half. She and I both thankfully see eye-to-eye on our expenses, and we trust each other that our "fun" expenditures don't impact other financial goals we've set. We have a budget that we adhere to - and a hobby bucket is just as important as a college savings plan, or retirement savings. This extends into how we manage our mortgage, auto loans, future goals, vacations, etc...

Financial trust is an important aspect of a relationship because it permeates into all matter of our lives. All discussion points for any activities ultimately comes back to cost, and we spend money where we see value. It would be a relationship problem if my wife didn't see my outlets as being important to me and vis-versa. How this is organized is not important (single account, multiple access accounts, individually accessed accounts) - what IS important that that we are on the same page.

Don't get me wrong, my wife raises her eyebrow at me at times but she knows I wouldn't sacrifice, say a family vacation for a drone, or dip into our emergency fund for the next new gaming machine.
I know we did NOT marry the same woman, but it sure sounds like it. Mutual trust goes a long way. My last adventure was a result of an accident which totaled my 90 Ford Expedition. Insurance gave us $5K. Went to look at a 2019 F150 (packaged out) in Aug 2019. She asked if I liked it. I said yes, she pulls out the checkbook right there. Did I mention I love my wife! We were thinking of USA travel, as we are both retired. Then CV 19 hit. Built the truck purchase deficit back up and then some as result of not going anywhere. Now we got this to keep us busy!

Attachments

• 2FFFAB37-3945-4D48-BA46-97F2D94BB3F0.jpeg
    2FFFAB37-3945-4D48-BA46-97F2D94BB3F0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 63FA7804-5161-4207-AEDF-C95830CCC8A2.jpeg
    63FA7804-5161-4207-AEDF-C95830CCC8A2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
My wife and I have very little debt and put a large amount into retirement savings. Our kids are all grown and out of the house. We do talk about purchases and occasionally one of us may suggest waiting on something or skipping it altogether but we're both pretty level headed about spending so it's never been a problem in our 17 years together.

mikeg

The fact that I'm here and new to this forum would apply that the conversation went my way. Now I wait to see what the wife comes up with for her purchase before I plan my next purchase. Besides, we haven't vacationed, due to COVID, so we're well under budget for 2020. Win/Win

Amazon has started something new called Pickup Points. If you don't want to ship to the house, you can ship to a nearby pickup place (the GNC near me is one) and avoid those awkward moments at home when a big package arrives (or a little expensive package).
Wives like “little” boxes for Christmas and birthdays ?.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom