DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to tell my wife when you purchase something

Usually I don't mention the cost of it!
My wife is not working so I provide the income, but she's always on the "don't spend money on stupid things" side. LOL.

90% of the time she just doesn't care what I buy, and doesn't know whether it costs 50 or 5000 unless I tell her. It's usually "ah it's just a cheapy thing, plus I got this other thing for you from the same shop, to go above the minimum amount for free shipping! Open it up, it's something useful for the kitchen/living room"

I fully agree about the number of toys one needs to be happy - at least n+1 !
My problem is that I have to justify any purchase to myself. If I am not quite sure about getting aother toy, I ask my wife - she usually says "get it now, don't wait". (48 years of marriage, same wife!).

Reactions: zeusfl
Buy all the Mavics... they all look the same. I’ve got a m2 zoom , a m2 pro and just bought a new old stock Mavic pro so I could use NLD on it and have no dji restrictions.. Would be harder if I bought an inspired but I’m waiting to see what the results of Bezos and the Feds will be before I spend that kind of money for a huge drone everyone will notice..

Reactions: Drgnfli
My wife and I pretty much have the same amount of mad money. What she does with her money is not my business and the same applies to me. We have been married over 38 years. So if it ain’t broken. Don’t fix it.

Exactly how it's worked for us since we were shacking up 20-some odd years ago. We keep a joint account for bills/necessities, retirement and savings are already taken out, and the rest is mad money as you say, in our individual accounts. In nearly 30 years of cohabitation, we've never had a single argument about money, or very much else for that matter. :cool:

If I want to buy something expensive like a M2P or my next Lumix S5, I have my Amazon account auto recharge with 100 bucks a month, when I have saved the money I need, I tell her I have x ammount of money in the amazon account and we are going to buy this or this. Very expensive gadgedts you don’t buy every month, so you get once a year o every two years and it’s not a problem at all. She knows all the gadgets I buy and sometimes I buy something for her family and so she is happy too!!

I just tell my wife the way it is. She protests sometimes, but she knows I will buy it anyway.
But sure enough, 1 or 2 weeks later some fancy new lady boots are shown by the proud owner!

If your wife complains about your spending, tell her she is starting to sound like your ex-wife. When she says "I didn't know you were married before," say "I wasn't" and give her a minute to figure it out.
Kidding aside, separate accounts and honesty works for me. I buy what I want. If she asks what it cost, I tell her. Never any arguments over money in almost 30 years together.

If you're having to hide or lie about spending a few grand, there's more wrong than that one thing. I was married, so I do understand the dynamic.

Anyway, not married now, but same gf for a bit better than 20 years. Both of us spend as we see fit. We do sometimes discuss large purchases, but not always. The last two vehicles I bought involved zero discussion, I wanted them, so I bought them. The bills are paid, there's money in the bank and food in the fridge.

Reactions: Drgnfli and zeusfl
We TALK about purchases.

I make the majority of the income in our household. My wife manages the money and my credit score is about as high as a score can possibly go.

I say that only because it used to be pretty bad. If not for her, I'd probably be in debt up to my ears, surrounded by lots of shiny toys but no hope of ever getting to retire.

It's a boring day
I seemed to notice that most of the responses look like they were written by machismo writers.
The love of my life (for 36 years of marriage, 9 anniversaries) and I had an unwritten rule - over $200 talk it over. Now that should be $500 but we still talk it over. The marriage is a unit.
I hide purchases from her about three times a year - her birthday, Christmas, our "annual anniversary" (but not the leap year one).
The real key to marriage is the ability to put up with the small stuff, and to realize it's all small stuff.
As far as buying drones -
What does the purchase of a drone add to the value of the unit?
I buy a tool, like a polesaw, to make our lives better. She buys a new tool like a dvdplayer to make our lives better.
With the drone, (in my case) I don't have to get up on roofs as often.

"Wow, I won a prize in a competition!!", only joking. My wife pretty much knows me by now after 38 years of been married.

But then there is the old joke. "When I die, I hope that my wife does not sell my drones/motorcycles/fishing tackle for what I told her that they cost"

Then there is the old T-Shirt slogan. "He who dies with the most toys, Wins!"

After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.
How do you tell your wife when you purchase a new drone or something expensive.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

I tend to hide with stuff more than $300.00

How about you guys ?
I used to buy guitars. I have all I have ever wanted. Now I buy drones and she has no issue with the price of my drones. :)

My wife says separate checking accounts are key to a happy marriage. As long as I contribute my share of the household bills, i get no complaints.

Same here. Don't lie to your wife...that never ends well.

Got my first mavic pro by using guilt. She and my daughters wanted to go to Vegas for a Rolling Stones concert. She felt bad going knowing I’m not a stones fan. I said don’t sweat it, there’s a drone coming out I want, her not knowing what drones cost she was happy!
Mavic 2 was the same, they all went to Italy and I took care of the animals at home with my new Mavic pro 2.
Was all set for a 3rd but with them going to Paris this spring then Covid struck and they had to cancel?
Maybe they’ll be a mavic 3 once this covid thing is fixed and they travel again ?

After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

How about you guys ?

How about you guys ?

My wife and I are building a new house. She said, we ought to get a drone to document the construction process. That was all I needed, a little research, a few clicks...a Mavic Mini on the way. A month later, I just *had to* complement it with a Mavic Air 2, you know, for those more windy days. They actually make a very capable combo for my new-found aerial photography!

My wife and I have been married for 27 years. We pooled our meager funds back in the early 90's to purchase a house as we knew we were getting married. We had a little money saved (not much on a 2nd Lieutenant's pay) and we said that we could either get her a nice wedding ring or get furniture for the house. WE elected to go with the wedding ring and lived off of cardboard boxes and some furniture from yard sales and thrift shops. We have always discussed finances and aside from that mortgage payment we have never paid a DIME in interest. We also have joint accounts at our local and main bank.

This has worked out for us both and hopefully we will have another 27 years together!

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000