DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to tell my wife when you purchase something

I know we did NOT marry the same woman, but it sure sounds like it. Mutual trust goes a long way. My last adventure was a result of an accident which totaled my 90 Ford Expedition. Insurance gave us $5K. Went to look at a 2019 F150 (packaged out) in Aug 2019. She asked if I liked it. I said yes, she pulls out the checkbook right there. Did I mention I love my wife! We were thinking of USA travel, as we are both retired. Then CV 19 hit. Built the truck purchase deficit back up and then some as result of not going anywhere. Now we got this to keep us busy!
That will keep you busy busy !!!!!
This is the one that keep me busy at home !!
symbaa.jpg

Speaking as the wife, and the drone pilot...
We have a lot of respect for one another in our marriage - 32 years and still going. We talk about our desires with each other, and like one poster said - we actually enable each other's hobbies. We have a lot of hobbies in common, but whether it's something shared or it's something for one person's hobby - we try to be supportive and understanding and do what we can to make the other person's dream come true. And we do it within the constraints of our budget and lifestyle... and in the end - we both feel so lucky and grateful and happy. Eventually it evens out a bit - there is some sense of "well, the spouse has been so supportive when I wanted to get X... and he's really craving Y." But that feeling of generosity is just that - not simply "he got this so I get to buy that."
Partnership and respect makes it work best!

After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.
How do you tell your wife when you purchase a new drone or something expensive.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

I tend to hide with stuff more than $300.00

How about you guys ?

Don't hide things from her if you want to stay married.

Now, by recent circumstances, I have two controllers. So maybe I could:
1) have my wife try it out
2) maybe get to like it
3) want her own Mavic
And
4) have her understand and agree that we “need” an fully equipped $11,000 Inspire!

It could happen!

1) unpack before entering apartment.
2) if small enough item, put in a semi-visible place to lie around so that the dragon can get subtly used to it's presence (the 'that's not new' trick).
3) lie, if feasible
4) longterm hiding of item if feasible
5) bring expensive gift
6) face the music (can only be used at intervals, not all the time).

Bring up in casual conversation enough times that its not a surprise when I buy it.. Both of us work and we share all the money not silo it... I got a lot of things around this house i didnt need but apparently we needed it.... somehow that doesn't work for drones though lol

I have been learning a lo from this thread, specially with those people 25+ years of matrimony recipe !!! I really respect you guys !!

Sometimes I wish she would have stopped me!! Especially when it’s 100 degrees out or raining (75% of the time in Florida)....when I complain about $ she throws it up though !! But basically no hiding !! ?
i will swap you buddy 50f here atm and bloody windy and wet ,,,,just the norm really lol.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
After read some concerns from many people here in the forum when they purchase something expensive I decide open this thread since I guess will be very beneficial and healthy for us to keep surviving on earth.
How do you tell your wife when you purchase a new drone or something expensive.

Me personally because I purchase in Amazon a lot I tend to hide the purchase by Archiving utility in amazon. Now, when I have no way to hide something I just say I pay the house, bills and everything is up to date and this is my hobby... period.
Now I will like to hear most advanced techniques from you guys. This can be very interesting.

I tend to hide with stuff more than $300.00

How about you guys ?
That's so hilarious, my wife really doesn't care what I purchase. I try to encourage her to make expensive purchases but she'd rather not. But she enjoys it when I purchase expensive gifts for her. Our children are grown with families of their own, so I spend at will without hiding it. Basically, we both worked very hard to get where we are today and I believe we should enjoy the finer things in life if we want to. She actually persuaded me to purchase a brand new MA2 for my very first drone when I wanted to purchase used.

That's so hilarious, my wife really doesn't care what I purchase. I try to encourage her to make expensive purchases but she'd rather not. But she enjoys it when I purchase expensive gifts for her. Our children are grown with families of their own, so I spend at will without hiding it. Basically, we both worked very hard to get where we are today and I believe we should enjoy the finer things in life if we want to. She actually persuaded me to purchase a brand new MA2 for my very first drone when I wanted to purchase used.
The best word I can use to describe your situation is .... LUCKY! Or maybe it could be skill by picking an incredible partner.

Same as a previous replier. With my previous wife we had joint bank accounts and credit cards. When we broke up she and her attorney got the vast majority of it. In my new marriage we are far more open and organised with our finances. We have a budgeted amount that we both contribute to each month for combined savings, expenses and agreed investments. After that what we do with the remainder of our income is of absolutely no interest to the other. I learnt this from a friend of mine who told me to run the finances in a marriage the same as you would the finances in a business partnership. At first I thought he was daft, but after living it for nearly 10 years now I realise he was right on the money. My current wife and I do not squabble over money, or what the other buys with their money and we are building wealth together as a couple / team. It is how it is supposed to be. Imagine being in a sporting team where you are trying to win a game but keeping your play secret from your team members, how the heck can you possibly win. Recipe for disaster, which is how my first marriage ended.

Well, with us there are many similarities. We both have our own accounts. Then there is 1 shared account for the mortgage and utilities etc.
We don't pay our private fun stuff with this account.
But I do tend to tell her what I am going to buy, or have bought for that matter, but I do not tell her how expensive it was. Just none of her business!
For example the Mavic in 2017, I told her there was a fantastic offer about 300 Euros cheaper so I had to go for it....the offer was true but that it was the difference between 1500 and 1200 I never told her that.
Last year I bought a used Canon 7D M2 from a colleague, also a good deal at 650, not a peep to her about the price. I told her I wanted to pick up my old photography hobby.

But I do sometimes buy her a gift, you know spontaneously, not a birthday or Christmas.

There is a saying that is very true: Happy wife, happy life!

Just remember that when you have your next fight with her......do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?????

I made my choice a long time ago....I'm happy and together for 34 years.

I wish you wisdom and much succes in your decision.

Ruud

True story! I was in the USAF for 24 years. Various assignments around the globe. 21 years I enjoyed the single life and fast cars and faster women! In June of 1989, I received an assignment to K2 (Taegu Air Base), ROK. Welcome to Korea, land of soju, bars, and bar girls. Weekends were made for (insert favorite past time here)! Didn’t ever feel like going all the way across town to Camp Walker for the bigger bars, so stayed closer to the K2 gate area. Trying not to drink too much and carouse at my leisure, I would often nurse my choice of drink, soju. Often I would just sit outside the bar, “Your Club” and simply chat with the owner while others would drink up the place. Watching the girls going in and out on the arms of GIs. Long story even longer, I ended up living every man’s dream! I married a rich, nymphomaniac, that owned a liquor store. In other words, I married the bar owner. December 29, 1989. Last weekday of the year! Kept the same woman ever since. Brought her and my adopted daughter to the states. Daughter is now a Major in the US Army, with 17 years down and retirement to go! Wife and I still enjoy each other’s company. No want for too much extravagance. Nice bank account and a successful daughter and SIL.
Life is nice guys, enjoy it while you can. Give respect and thanks to the other half, top that off with pure love. Life will take you for a great ride!

Oh, yeah! I still enjoy soju!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard