DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How would you track a mountain biker on a single track trail through a forest?

Dangerly

Reactions
I've got a shoot I'd like to do following a mountain biker on a single track trail through a forest. I couldn't possibly pilot the drone and visually observe at the same time. How could I do this in a way that's safe and Part 107 compliant? Has anyone done something like this before and how did you do it?

I would block off the trail at two points for the shoot to prevent anyone else from wondering onto the "set" (as well as verify no one's between those two points). I am thinking I could have a visual observer ride another mountain bike behind the subject of the shoot, using a two-way radio to communicate with me.

Would I need a Part 107 waiver to fly BVLOS? Is this even advisable to try, from a safety and legal perspective?

I am considering using a Skydio drone for this as I believe it would be safer than a DJI / Mavic drone due to it's software. Alternatively I might fly an Avata with Goggles & RC Motion 2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
Would I need a Part 107 waiver to fly BVLOS?
I would think that any time someone flies BVLOS they would need a waiver to do so. But I think Skydio would be a good choice.

Reactions: MA2 317 and 4006448
Yep, I think segmented shoots too, although it would not be popular with the rider I'm sure.
Breaking their ride momentum, would be awkward, a lot of overlaps to get back to speed / trail comfort etc.

I would block off the trail at two points for the shoot to prevent anyone else from wondering onto the "set" (as well as verify no one's between those two points).

Provided it was a private trail that would work ok.
If public land, and other riders were to unexpectedly to appear, then it could get terribly messy / unsafe.

What Skydio Model you are using I would certainly want a whoop and I would think it much safer FPV. but thats me, I haven't used the Motion controller, but meh, gimme joysticks anytime. I would certainly take all the spotters that wanted to go with you BUT Remember just as Vic Moss pointed out You need to be able to quickly make visual with your drone when the goggles come off.
I would use the link provided above for your waiver docs.

Skydio is designed for tough shots like this. Built like a tank.lt is always my first choice in high risk projects. And it will come home in one piece.

I would instead of trying to use a drone, equip that intended visual observer with a head mounted GoPro, and perhaps place some GoPros at some good fixed positions capturing him go past... more the right tool for the job.
Thanks - I am already planning on using two GoPros: one mounted on the handlebars and another on the seat stay. However there's nothing like a drone following from above.

Skydio is designed for tough shots like this. Built like a tank.lt is always my first choice in high risk projects. And it will come home in one piece.
Yeah, that was my thinking too. Only problem is they are now way more expensive than they used to be since Skydio got out of the consumer market. But they are #1 in this space, beyond anything DJI has at the moment.

As a motorcyclist/bicyclist I have, for about 15 years been trying to 'crack' this egg so to speak. The current state of the art is just now able to pull off the kind of 'follow' video we've all dreamed about. In the video below you can see what it takes in terms of manpower, equipment and skill to get such a shot. *Spoiler* Skip to 8:08 to see final results.

My advice would be to use creativity and the equipment you have to put together the shot. I would use Several GoPro's mixed with high quality air and land based shots. If you watch the first minute of the video, note how much is NOT drone or aerial footage but shows the cycling action just as well. Good Luck.

As a motorcyclist/bicyclist I have, for about 15 years been trying to 'crack' this egg so to speak. The current state of the art is just now able to pull off the kind of 'follow' video we've all dreamed about. In the video below you can see what it takes in terms of manpower, equipment and skill to get such a shot. *Spoiler* Skip to 8:08 to see final results.

My advice would be to use creativity and the equipment you have to put together the shot. I would use Several GoPro's mixed with high quality air and land based shots. If you watch the first minute of the video, note how much is NOT drone or aerial footage but shows the cycling action just as well. Good Luck.

That is an epic FPV flight - all the wires, the close spaces, whatever speed they were going, the crowd. I wonder if a 107 pilot could ever get a waver to do that in the US?!?!

That is a crazy amount of setup for the drone shot! Especially the part about having a dedicated drone just to relay the video signal to the goggles. That's beyond what I could pull off in the short term. But I wonder if having pre-placed signal boosters along the track that relay through an overhead drone - to boost the signal to the goggles in a forest - is a tech that could be productized in a way that people could DIY based on some instructions? I wonder how much lag that adds?

Also the frame they chose for the Youtube thumbnail is a great demo of motion blur.

Last edited:
I've tracked myself in a desert, where I'm the tallest thing and that made me nervous. The MP3 did well but would never try it in a forest. Make sure you have the insurance and give it a go but as others have said.... Skydio.

Reactions: Dangerly
I've tracked myself in a desert, where I'm the tallest thing and that made me nervous. The MP3 did well but would never try it in a forest. Make sure you have the insurance and give it a go but as others have said.... Skydio.
Yep, too bad DJI can't play in this space. I'm going with Skydio. Sadly, Skydio drones are now way more expensive (like 2-3 times more expensive), since they decided to get out of the consumer market. Too bad there wasn't enough of a market there.

I wish someone would make a prosumer level drone with the smarts of Skydio. DJI hasn't done this yet. This could be where the Air 3 differentiates itself. It's mainly in the software.

Yep, too bad DJI can't play in this space. I'm going with Skydio. Sadly, Skydio drones are now way more expensive (like 2-3 times more expensive), since they decided to get out of the consumer market. Too bad there wasn't enough of a market there.

I wish someone would make a prosumer level drone with the smarts of Skydio. DJI hasn't done this yet. This could be where the Air 3 differentiates itself. It's mainly in the software.
I went to the Skydio site. Looks like $1400 minimum to $1750 to get you going but nothing is in stock. I just wonder how fool proof the skydio is? Depends on how thick the forest I guess (Pinion Pine, Redwood, Amazon....) If you have a lot of turns and carrying speed I can see that being a challenge.

As far as BVLOS goes just edit the video so it's "possible" you maintained VLOS instead of one long continuous shot. But then again I go rogue from time to time, so don't listen to me.

Though this is unofficial, I know from my own direct contact at Skydio that they are no longer selling those cheap drones, which is why they are out of stock. The Skydio can still crash into a branch in a forest, but in numerous head-to-head tests I see it consistently outperform DJI in this kind of autonomous flight. DJI doesn't do anywhere near as well at keeping up. It tends to fall behind and lose the subject because it's only using visual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1