DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am a new Mavic 2 Pro owner and new to MavicPilots. I want to use a tablet, but not sure which is best.

Oh Boy
It's the ole Droid against IOS fight again I've seen hundreds of times. :D
I'm sure each has it's pro's and cons and use what works for you.
Ole Android just need's to gain some weight.
fight.gif;)

Reactions: Thomas B
Your initial comment was that the app likes the Apple operating system better.
Now you are talking about the number of users who might have problems because they used an under-performing tablet.

Non-sequitur. I never used the words "under-performing", so no value-added meanings to my statements please.

I used the terms "issues", "bugs", and "slow updates" (not slow operating systems, but DJI updates that are slow in coming).

Neither of us know why. It could be because the developers of the DJI Go system favor the iOS system more. This could have something t do with the number of iOS users over Android users (sounds like business sense to me). And we could further say that could mean writing to the iOS APIs, then adapting that code later to Android systems, which makes it more efficient for

But that's all just speculation, which is why ALL I was talking about was numbers. Go get them.

The app runs equally well (or poorly) on Android and Apple operating systems.
The important thing is that the device used has a fast enough processor and enough RAM, not the operating system.

That is ALWAYS the truth and is always important. That this is a truth in no way negates the fact that there are MORE complaints about the way a) the Android versions works and b) how slow it is for DJI to release fixes for it.

Prove us wrong re: number of complaints, not with facts otherwise unrelated to those complaints.

Heck, there are even complaints about how slow DJI is to release fixes (or any kind of updates AT ALL) for their own devices, such as the Crystal Sky (an Android device), which made a lot of people wary about purchasing the Mavic Smart Controller (an Android device).

I do see plenty of complaints from Apple flyers in hot conditions about problems with their devices overheating though.

That's something that Android flyers don't seem to have to deal with.

Okay, that's fair. I recall seeing that enough times too. So chalk one up legit against iOS system. Fair is fair.

Chris

I do see plenty of complaints from Apple flyers in hot conditions about problems with their devices overheating though.

They do !
Running my regular ipad with topo mapping for trips, it's on my 4WD dash mount for easy reference, and I have to shade it from direct sun with a brimmed hat or baseball cap brim at a pinch.
Then it's ok.

I've never really had an issue with flying and the ipad mini, though most times I fly in reasonable conditions, keep the device shaded for vision, and on inland trips where it might be up to ~ 35c, I am only flying briefly, then moving again.

@SkyKingDrones this debate if you want to call it that
goes on everytime your question gets posted so just
bear with it and get what info you can from this.
Also...Welcome to the forum. :p

They do !
Running my regular ipad with topo mapping for trips, it's on my 4WD dash mount for easy reference, and I have to shade it from direct sun with a brimmed hat or baseball cap brim at a pinch.
Then it's ok.

I've never really had an issue with flying and the ipad mini, though most times I fly in reasonable conditions, keep the device shaded for vision, and on inland trips where it might be up to ~ 35c, I am only flying briefly, then moving again.
Of course DJI recs, at least for the M2P, is not to fly in ambient temps above 104 degrees Fahrenheit anyway. But the above and need to use my iPhone for other things led me to end up owning both CS and SC....

But the above and need to use my iPhone for other things led me to end up owning both CS and SC....

So spec and experience wise, are those devices better with heat ?
Just curious, but maybe one day I will feel like a change, if the eyes get too tired on bright days etc.

Last edited:
there are MORE complaints about the way a) the Android versions works and b) how slow it is for DJI to release fixes for it.
There are so many different Android devices that there will be a lot more different underperforming Android devices that flyers try and end up complaining about.
It's like there are more complaints about DJI drones because there are a lot more DJI drones than other brands.
When it comes to bugs and fixes, bugs and fixes are very infrequent so it's not much of an issue if it ever happens.
I remember one time when the Apple app was held up because of Apple's slow approval process and it was only possible to fly with Android for a while.

But these are trivial issues and the point I was making was that the app doesn't run any better on either operating system.

So pec and experience wise, are those devices better with heat ?
Just curious, but maybe one day I will feel like a change, if the eyes get too tired on bright days etc.
Don’t have enough info on the SC to say more than it is never a problem at 96-100 degrees F.
My 7.8” CS performs impeccably at 105 -108 degrees F... couldn’t get myself to fly when it was hotter.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Don’t have enough info on the SC to say more than it is never a problem at 96-100 degrees F.
My 7.8” CS performs impeccably at 105 -108 degrees F... couldn’t get myself to fly when it was hotter.
Why I set my pad on my steering wheel and use a 3’cord
and keep the air on. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Thomas B
I like the Mavmount 3 and it's reviews but which tablet should i buy that works with DJI Go 4
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e; Solid Tablet very bright OLED display great for outdoors viewing.. Very fast. lots of memory, 8 core processor Available from Samsung $349 and some refurbs around $250

I've only used a Smart Controller with my M2Z. Never had the stock controller. The SC runs on android. I've never had any issues with it and Go4.

So, if people have been reporting issues with android devices and Go4, is it the android operating system (apparently not, since my SC works flawlessly) or is it an issue with the devices, the hardware?

At any rate, while the SC is brighter than mobile devices and generally does not need any kind of shade attached, a sombrero is much cheaper! ;)

I decided to invest in a smart controller, expensive but more convenient when carrying equipment. This has a very clear and bright even in daylight and has some advantages but there are one or two issues with setup and use but on tne whole l like it

One good reason to avoid android is the controller charging the device, no option to turn that off.
Not sure if it was resolved with multiple controller connections it might be possible to charge the controller and use another connection to the device.
Even if your model permits this, it's still a pain.
100% agree. I have a Samsung S2 with LTE, Lenovo tab3 with LTE, iPad air 2 with LTE and iPad mini 5 with LTE.

I generally prefer Android as it's a better value, but, the remote sacrifices it's battery charging Android devices which it doesn't do for iOS devices.

You could mitigate the loss of remote battery capacity by using an external battery, but the configuration gets cumbersome.

For flying DJI, I absolutely prefery LTE connected iPads.

Btw, I'm a CTO with 41 years in technology and it's a rare event that I recommend iOS over Android; this is the use case where it clearly wins.

Overall, I go to my iPad mini 5 as it fits into the controller and is easy to travel with; fits well in my Mavic Mini's fly more combo case and works great with my MPP and MP2.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I go to my iPad mini 5 as it fits into the controller and is easy to travel with

Cheers, and the mini 4 is basically same size and also works great . . . . there are plenty of good refirb ones on the market I believe, and cost is probably same-ish as a decent new phone, or far less than the leading phones.

I tried an Android but it wasn’t quite as sharp as the iPad Mini 4. Also the iPad Mini is much lighter and has quicker screen refreshing and higher resolution. I shopped online and found a used iPad Mini fairly inexpensively.
Same here!

Ok, it sounds like the iPad mini 4 is good. I'll start looking around. do you use a sun shade?
Sunshade does not work. The problem is the sun on your face which lights you up and then reflects on the tablet screen. Get a matt finish plastic screen saver and stand under a tree or umbrella.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart