DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I flew my Mavic around an old abandonded hospital!

Cool, but it appears that the old Reid Hospital had a helispot - still registered with the FAA. Did you notify them before your flight? :eek::confused::D

Reactions: Wersh
Cool, but it appears that the old Reid Hospital had a helispot - still registered with the FAA. Did you notify them before your flight? :eek::confused::D

Well crap...no I didn't o_O

...they're tearing it down in the coming weeks though haha

*edit* yes, of course I did.

Well crap...no I didn't o_O

...they're tearing it down in the coming weeks though haha

*edit* yes, of course I did.

And the FAA will still show the area for 5 miles around it as an Advisory in B4UFly because there isn't a contact who will notify them that the helispot is GONE! :mad:

Last edited:
And the FAA will still show the area for 5 miles around it as an Alert in B4UFly because there isn't a contact who will notify them that the helispot is GONE! :mad:
Well that's good info to know...I looked it up and I saw it was reported as permanently closed, so I was thinking I was good since obviously nothing was going to land there. Who would normally have to report that to FAA?

Very cool and somewhat spooky video.
Could be a great location for a psycho killer monster zombie movie.
Seems like a horrible waste of what appears to be a fairly modern design facility to just let it decay like that when we can use use more hospitals all the time.

Reactions: Wersh
Well that's good info to know...I looked it up and I saw it was reported as permanently closed, so I was thinking I was good since obviously nothing was going to land there. Who would normally have to report that to FAA?
That's a good question. Maybe someone else on the forum can give us an answer. I assume that the owner/operator or designated contact would need to report it.

I wouldn't worry about flying there. After all, who are you gonna contact? The place is closed.

I was just using your case to get a dig in about the FAA and all the outdated info in their airport database. Like several others have noted, there are lots defunct strips listed in B4UFly. I live out in the country and am surrounded by "grass" landing strips that show up as advisories in the app but that haven't been used in years or now have a house right in the middle of them.

Last edited:
Oops, I may have been mistaken. Checking Google Earth, I see that the new hospital is only about 1.5 miles north of the old one. The helispot may actually be at the new hospital, in which case you were flying less than 5 miles from an active location.

Very cool and somewhat spooky video.
Could be a great location for a psycho killer monster zombie movie.
Seems like a horrible waste of what appears to be a fairly modern design facility to just let it decay like that when we can use use more hospitals all the time.
I agree! It is a pretty cool looking place, but I'm not sure the back story of why it sits empty fort his long...they did build a brand new hospital a few miles away and it's even bigger, but I was reading that the city needs an 8 million dollar loan to tear it down and once they get approval, it'll be demolished here by the end of summer...so they say.

There's some pretty cool youtube videos of people going inside and claiming to see things lol

That's a good question. Maybe someone else on the forum can give us an answer. I assume that the owner/operator or designated contact would need to report it.

I wouldn't worry about flying there. After all, who are you gonna contact? The place is closed.

I was just using your case to get a dig in about the FAA and all the outdated info in their airport database. Like several others have noted, there are lots defunct strips listed in B4UFly. I live out in the country and am surrounded by "grass" landing strips that show up as Alerts in the app but that haven't been used in years or now have a house right in the middle of them.
Well see that's a good point...I was going off of the DJI app and it wasn't telling me anything about what type of zone I was in, but where I live out in the country, I get alerts of unpaved airports all of the time, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi