DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I got a Custom Unlock from DJI and now it says "Altitude Zone 0ft"

Two Seam

Reactions
I live near a small, towerless airport and my house is in-line with the path of the runway (about 2 miles away from the actual airport though) so I'm in an Authorized Zone. Just to be clear, it's uncontrolled airspace. I always have the "Clear for Takeoff" from B4UFLY/KittyHawk. It's not a big deal but having to get a Self Unlock every time I wanted to lift off, even if it's in my patio or living room just to test something real quick, was becoming tedious so I applied for a Custom Unlock. It's the first time I've ever applied for or used a Custom Unlock so maybe this is normal/my fault but I'm confused.

When I transfer/unlock the license to the drone I just get a message that says "Altitude Zone 0ft" in the area that usually says "Authorized Zone" or "Takeoff Permitted" or "In Flight" etc. It never changes but it does let me fly. I've never seen the "Altitude Zone X ft" message but I'm guessing that's what you would get around controlled airspace when the ceiling is less than 400ft (e.g. "Altitude Zone 150ft" or something). Mine says 0ft but I can still fly.

1altitudezone.jpg

If I turn off the Custom Unlock license in the "Unlock GEO Zone" section it goes back "Authorized Zone"

2altitudezone.jpg

I can pull down and out on the sticks to prompt the Self Unlock check boxes, check them etc, self unlock it and everything is normal again...

3altitudezone.jpg

I was just looking to eliminate some of the hassle of checking the boxes every time I took off. If I was trying to get a quick shot of the dog or something. Especially when I'm only taking it 10 feet off the ground for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the unlock to actually go through. I read about other people in similar situations and the Custom Unlock came up. I applied for a 365 day unlock and it was accepted in less than 5 minutes. Is this working correctly? Have I misunderstood "Altitude Zone 0ft"? Do all Custom Unlocks say that? Did I do something wrong? Obviously, it's not the end of the world to have to check some boxes to fly this amazing little thing but it'd be nice not to for the reasons I stated above.

Thank you

Reactions: brett8883
I live near a small, towerless airport and my house is in-line with the path of the runway (about 2 miles away from the actual airport though) so I'm in an Authorized Zone. Just to be clear, it's uncontrolled airspace. I always have the "Clear for Takeoff" from B4UFLY/KittyHawk. It's not a big deal but having to get a Self Unlock every time I wanted to lift off, even if it's in my patio or living room just to test something real quick, was becoming tedious so I applied for a Custom Unlock. It's the first time I've ever applied for or used a Custom Unlock so maybe this is normal/my fault but I'm confused.

When I transfer/unlock the license to the drone I just get a message that says "Altitude Zone 0ft" in the area that usually says "Authorized Zone" or "Takeoff Permitted" or "In Flight" etc. It never changes but it does let me fly. I've never seen the "Altitude Zone X ft" message but I'm guessing that's what you would get around controlled airspace when the ceiling is less than 400ft (e.g. "Altitude Zone 150ft" or something). Mine says 0ft but I can still fly.

View attachment 122128

If I turn off the Custom Unlock license in the "Unlock GEO Zone" section it goes back "Authorized Zone"

View attachment 122134

I can pull down and out on the sticks to prompt the Self Unlock check boxes, check them etc, self unlock it and everything is normal again...

View attachment 122135

I was just looking to eliminate some of the hassle of checking the boxes every time I took off. If I was trying to get a quick shot of the dog or something. Especially when I'm only taking it 10 feet off the ground for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the unlock to actually go through. I read about other people in similar situations and the Custom Unlock came up. I applied for a 365 day unlock and it was accepted in less than 5 minutes. Is this working correctly? Have I misunderstood "Altitude Zone 0ft"? Do all Custom Unlocks say that? Did I do something wrong? Obviously, it's not the end of the world to have to check some boxes to fly this amazing little thing but it'd be nice not to for the reasons I stated above.

Thank you
I live under the exact same restrictions - miles from a small airport, uncontrolled airspace, yet it‘s an “authorization zone”. Unlocking is tedious and sometimes ineffective. I can’t fly even at 10 feet in my own yard - a 10 acre unobstructed alfalfa field.

I would greatly appreciate instruction on how to obtain a 365 day “Custom Unlock”.

Thanks from a drone newbie. Mini 2, by the way.

I live under the exact same restrictions - miles from a small airport, uncontrolled airspace, yet it‘s an “authorization zone”. Unlocking is tedious and sometimes ineffective. I can’t fly even at 10 feet in my own yard - a 10 acre unobstructed alfalfa field.

I would greatly appreciate instruction on how to obtain a 365 day “Custom Unlock”.

Thanks from a drone newbie. Mini 2, by the way.
Go to Flysafe.dji.com and put in your request.

Go to Flysafe.dji.com and put in your request.
Thanks, DanMan32. I had to do that when I first got the drone. It worked fine until recently, now it has quit enabling takeoff altogether. The app says "unlocking successful", but I still don't get "takeoff permitted".

Even when unlocking was working, I still had to get clearance for every flight, ticking a half-dozen boxes and requiring Internet access to do so.

Two Seam seems to have received a blanket 365 day waiver without enabling each flight. If I could do this, I could practice flight daily, easily.

Two Seam seems to have received a blanket 365 day waiver without enabling each flight. If I could do this, I could practice flight daily, easily.
Go to Custom Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI

It asks for a date range of the unlock, I just added a year to the expiration side, there isn't a "365 day" option. I'm curious if you receive the same "Altitude Zone 0ft" message.

Also, sometimes when I do the regular unlock off of my phone on takeoff, it also takes me a few times to go through. Sometimes it says "unlocking successful" but retains the Authorization Zone, and sometimes it just doesn't do anything. Usually a few tries gets it to work or restarting the fly app and trying again.

Thanks, Two Seam. It sounds like you have most of the authorization zone frustrations I do. I just did the latest firmware update. I'll see if that helps my "can't fly in my own yard" blues.

*update: Flew fine in my yard today after a successful unlock. I guess it was the lack of the latest firmware that was preventing me from flying previously.

No "zero feet" altitude indication. The app looks like it always does.

Here's a five-image stitch pano. First time I've ventured away from my yard with the Mini 2.

Attachments

• W Creston Pano 02 2021 01 22.jpg
    W Creston Pano 02 2021 01 22.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member