DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I hate cinematic mode at this moment

I tend to agree with @Will Falcon. No matter what settings are used, it's quite hard to get a really smooth movement from the Mavic's sticks without any software help. I like the way cinematic mode adds some 'inertia' or 'smoothing' to the lateral movements. It would be nice if it applied the same to the yaw movement. As it stands right now, we can have the smoothing effect for pitch forward/backward, roll left/right, and gimbal pitch up/down. Smoothing on the yaw would be very much appreciated. And while they're at it, why not for throttle up/down, as well? :) Afterall, if the whole point of the Cinematic mode is to smooth out the movements, why limit that to only some of the movements?

You won't get that smoothness unless you slowly move the sticks back to the middle.

I shot this video with 0.10 expo thinking it was minimum expo when in fact its maximum lol.

It's full manual flying/gimbal control, with so much positive expo i cant wait to try again with over 0.50 as i like small movements around centre as thats how i had my flamewheel 550 set up for over 3 years.

I shot this video with 0.10 expo thinking it was minimum expo when in fact its maximum lol.

This isn't the first time I've seen somebody suggesting turning up the expo settings to get smoother control. Why is that? My understanding and experience with expo settings tells me the opposite; Based on the explanation of the expo settings, when you turn it down (eg. 0.10) that means that the stick responds less to your input towards the center, but increases as you get closer to full stick. To me, this is what I want. It allows smaller adjustments with small inputs. By turning it up to 0.50 or higher, the Mavic responds more quickly to my small stick inputs near the center. I even tested this out today, and I'm still convinced that the smaller expo setting gives me the most amount of control. I have all mine set to 0.10... Is there something you guys know that I don't? :)

I just find that when you need to yaw a bit quicker you have to keep moving the stick further till it speeds up and then when you reach the end of the expo the mavic suddenly yaws faster and then you need to go back and this is where it gets jerky.

If all of the movement is round the centre there's no over shooting, as soon as you put input in it's moving. You would need minimum yaw rate though otherwise it will be too fast/sensitive. I will try and get a video up but right now we have stormy weather.

I just find that when you need to yaw a bit quicker you have to keep moving the stick further till it speeds up and then when you reach the end of the expo the mavic suddenly yaws faster and then you need to go back and this is where it gets jerky.

If all of the movement is round the centre there's no over shooting, as soon as you put input in it's moving. You would need minimum yaw rate though otherwise it will be too fast/sensitive. I will try and get a video up but right now we have stormy weather.
I think I get what you're saying... In other words, what you prefer is a slower top speed (eg. 50 movement limit, or whatever it's called), with a smoother curve on the way there (ie. a higher expo). As opposed to a more aggressive curve (expo 0.10) leading to higher top speed (eg. 100). Is that about right?

It can be fixed with small software based exponential function that could translate stick movement values to nice drone movement.
It works almost perfectly with horizontal Mavic movement but YAW.

There are some dampening parameters in the gimbal settings to take care of that.
Problem is that yaw on a quad is much less precise than horizontal movement due to less control authority.

I think I get what you're saying... In other words, what you prefer is a slower top speed (eg. 50 movement limit, or whatever it's called), with a smoother curve on the way there (ie. a higher expo). As opposed to a more aggressive curve (expo 0.10) leading to higher top speed (eg. 100). Is that about right?

Pretty much, i hate that whip on yaw you get when the input reaches the end of the expo curve...i just managed a quick 2 minute flight in the garden, will pop a vid up soon.

From cached video in the app. Probably only using the middle 1/3 of the rudder pot.

OK, that's your opinion...lools night and day different to your video...good luck finding a cure

Reactions: Will Falcon
The answer is a 3DR Solo.

I had the same issues with yaw on my P3P...I also have a Solo, and it really is, overall, more "cinematic".

That said, I can't believe there isn't a way to smooth out the yaw in Phantoms and Mavics...isn't this just some software code? And/or a small firmware update?

The jerky yaw really is infuriating.

--

Bill

Reactions: Will Falcon

Just to be clear, that setting is NOT smoothing out the yaw, it is making it more aggressive! You can see that their blue hexagon is moving FASTER than the original settings on each movement. You want the opposite curve.

NinZCo2.png

Here I'm flying with the default yaw expo.

Last edited:
Here I'm flying with the default yaw expo.

Thank you for the beautiful video.
Unfortunately it is not a solution. I have tons of slow videos I made with smooth YAW. But it was just because I touched sticks slow and scenes were slow.
Problems begin when you need to shoot action and need to change direction. Try to change directions ridder left\right - it's jerky =(

Maybe try to learn how to fly. But you already know that.
What might help is the famous "post production". Take your raw footage and turn that into a small film with the bad parts cut out. I take hours of footage ending up in a 10 minute movie. Not always fun but most shots are a one time only thing. Including the flaws

Reactions: Soundtekk
Just to be clear, that setting is NOT smoothing out the yaw, it is making it more aggressive! You can see that their blue hexagon is moving FASTER than the original settings on each movement. You want the opposite curve.

NinZCo2.png

What excactly your graph represents?

Blue curve in my graph represents left-right rudder stick movement by X-axis.
According to this Mavic should start and stop slowly and smoothly when you start to touch stick and get more speed dynamics if you move stick further left or right.
Considering that, on this graph gray line represents an aggressive rudder start and stop according to center of the stick - 0 value.

Just chiming in to say that I completely agree with everything the OP (Will) is saying. This is by far my biggest gripe with the Mavic too.

What excactly your graph represents?

Blue curve in my graph represents left-right rudder stick movement by X-axis.
According to this Mavic should start and stop slowly and smoothly when you start to touch stick and get more speed dynamics if you move stick further left or right.
Considering that, on this graph gray line represents an aggressive rudder start and stop according to center of the stick - 0 value.

On your video graph, the almost-gray line represents a very aggressive rudder start and stop near the center of the stick. I copied your video graph's almost-gray line onto my graph using the same color. Move the stick a tiny bit right of center, get a LOT of yaw command. As you deflect more, there is less additional effect. Deflecting only halfway across the stick you're getting nearly full yaw speed. That's snappy, that's aggressive, and that's why yaw would jerk around the way shown in the garden video above.

The bright blue line on my graph is a very smooth rudder. Move the stick a fair amount near the center and get almost no yaw command. As you deflect more, you get more yaw command, and only at full deflection will you get full speed yaw command.

On your video graph, the almost-gray line represents a very aggressive rudder start and stop near the center of the stick. I copied your video graph's almost-gray line onto my graph using the same color. Move the stick a tiny bit right of center, get a LOT of yaw command. As you deflect more, there is less additional effect. Deflecting only halfway across the stick you're getting nearly full yaw speed. That's snappy, that's aggressive, and that's why yaw would jerk around the way shown in the garden video above.

The bright blue line on my graph is a very smooth rudder. Move the stick a fair amount near the center and get almost no yaw command. As you deflect more, you get more yaw command, and only at full deflection will you get full speed yaw command.

Sure, my fault, just switched the axis. It should represent all motion from start to finish with zero at the left bottom.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming