DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Have a Dumb Question about altitude

If you move it outdoors to a spot where it has a clear shot at the open sky, and wait a minute, it will acquire the necessary satellites... same with the compass.

I've started my Mavic on my porch on top of a metal table, gotten the 'compass error' message... then, after checking all settings, moved it outside to my lawn and the compass error goes away. Soon as it get sufficient sats, I takeoff... no problems.
After spending about 2 hours trying to figure it out I got an Air Data account and managed to find the document but it won't drag over here. I've typed it in long hand. Have no idea if this works/

DJIFlightRecord_2021-07_31_[11-05-10].txt

After spending about 2 hours trying to figure it out I got an Air Data account and managed to find the document but it won't drag over here. I've typed it in long hand. Have no idea if this works/
It doesn't
Can you copy and paste a link to the Airdata report?

DJIFlightRecord_2021-07_31_[11-05-10].txt
It's best to do this on a computer, these instructions are for Windows. Go the the Air Data website, make sure you're logged in with your account, click on 'My Flights' on the top-right of the page, then click on the flight in question. Then, point to the browser address bar and click, which should highlight the entire line. Point to that again, right-click and choose 'copy' from the drop-down menu.

Come back to this thread and start a new post. Right click in the text box and choose 'paste' from the drop-down menu. Click 'Post Reply'... done.

NEGATIVE for both! I heard the little lady first. There was no "indoors" within 30 miles
I call the little lady 'Sheila'... started calling all female voices on electronic devices that name years ago, back in the day of automobile dash mounted GPS units, and the Crocodile Dundee movie....

"Turn left at the next red light"

"Thank you Sheila"... LOL

Without knowing what the warning was, no-one can answer your question.
Post the flight data, and it will show the actual warning message and possibly also have some relevant information to help understand what it was about.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-07-31_[11-05-10].txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Mr. Dale, the link in your post #26 does not work. Please follow the directions in post #24... although I get the idea you're probably an Apple guy... sorry, that's beyond my pervue... no hablo Apple-ese.

Last edited:
"Altitude above the takeoff point exceeds 0ft . Always fly in compliance with altitude limitations."

I flew my Mavic 2 Pro starting at an altitude of 11,000 feet from the top of the Beartooth Highway, The take off point was at least 11,000 feet high on the pass.

Obviously not a ceiling level thing, for the M2 that is 5000m or 16,404', and we regularly get great videos from members, notably @Karlewski at 13,000' / 14,000' . . . has he ever seen a similar warning ? (It could be a GO4 thing.)

The warning there is very unusual, I wonder if you were at the to of a pass, the warning is relative to flying out from there and possibly easily exceeding 400' if flying away over the surrounding falling topography ?

Mr. Dale, the link in your post #26 does not work. Please follow the directions in post #24... although I get the idea you're probably an Apple guy... sorry, that's beyond my pervue... no hablo Apple-ese.
I never exceeded my max altitude. Look at the very next post!!! Zbip57 was right!

It (the link) does work! I never exceeded about 140 feet. I think when the drone left the cliff edge it was reading the valley floor way below me.

www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/A9VX723J5LON5SN9RHC1

Look at the very next post!!! Zbip57 was right!
Yessiree, he did it for you... I was trying to show you how.

My instructions were for Airdata, he used Phantomhelp... even better.

"Altitude above the takeoff point exceeds 0ft . Always fly in compliance with altitude limitations."
It seems this is a nonsense warning ... some sort of glitch in DJI's programming.
It makes no sense and appears under a range of different situations.
There are several reports of it popping up for a number of flyers, but not affecting anything.

Last edited:
I see a similar warning constantly, high altitude fly warning, I think, it is designed to a a waiver for the DJI care. . .

I have a question which I should already have known by now after flying for 3 years. On my recent Montana Flyfishing trip, I flew my Mavic 2 Pro starting at an altitude of 11,000 feet from the top of the Beartooth Highway, The take off point was at least 11,000 feet high on the pass. I immediately got a red warning that I was exceeding my altitude, or some words to that effect. It scared me but I continued flying without incident, and made several other flights at that altitude, each time with the same warning. My settings have been set at the USA legal limits of 394 feet or 400 feet to round it off. Is that the reason I got that warning?
So... 400 ft above ground level is 400 ft above ground level... -where the drone is- does that help?

Let's talk about 400ft - Approved Drone Pilots

Isn’t 11,000ft Above sea level, the start of Class A airspace? Regardless of AGL I would think that could throw up a warning.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I shot this video with my MP2 after taking off at 11,285' on top of a mountain. I never received any warnings.

Well at least we'll never have this issue flying in Australia, our highest 'mountain' peak is 2228m / 7310'.
See the link I posted in #33.
It's a nonsense warning message that shows up at any altitude.

I have a question which I should already have known by now after flying for 3 years. On my recent Montana Flyfishing trip, I flew my Mavic 2 Pro starting at an altitude of 11,000 feet from the top of the Beartooth Highway, The take off point was at least 11,000 feet high on the pass. I immediately got a red warning that I was exceeding my altitude, or some words to that effect. It scared me but I continued flying without incident, and made several other flights at that altitude, each time with the same warning. My settings have been set at the USA legal limits of 394 feet or 400 feet to round it off. Is that the reason I got that warning?
Just curious: Does the drone measure the altitude from its take-off point, or does it know what the altitude of the land is underneath where it is flying. Since it was flown from the top of the highway, I imagine the ground drops away pretty quick in just about any direction you fly. Most mountain summits I am familiar with would leave the drone much more than 400 feet above the ground within only a couple hundred feet of lateral flight from the takeoff point. In one area I know, the drone would be nearly 1500 feet off the ground even if I flew only 200 straight away from me without an altitude gain from the take-off point (granted I would still be ok since I'd only be 200 feet from the side of the mountain). I wonder if the drone could show a warning in this type of scenario.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User