DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I haven't yet, but can anyone offer any helpful info/experience on flying MA2 from inside your car/suv. Or just don't do it??

crash3x

Reactions
I've seen a lot of YouTube videos of ppl flying from inside there cars/suv, read a few post, everything seemed to be working good. I'm curious, if kept in line of sight and just toying around if things usually operate properly. Or is this just one of those things to stay away from? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do with my Mini and my Pro. What you want to know. Several threads on it. I’m set up like this.
C514B98B-9029-4FB7-BAFE-129C969C5DC5.jpeg

I really misread that one from the title. I'm thinkin holy moly! Great way to tear up a drone and your interior of the car. Don't be in it when you try it. Where I live it's too congested to try that.

I do with my Mini and my Pro. What you want to know. Several threads on it. I’m set up like this.
View attachment 114956
Nice set up! I like how you have the iPad on the steering wheel table (I happen to already have one of those tables) and just use the longer cable to link it to the remote, I like it !

I guess the main question is do you have any reception issues flying from inside your truck? Do you need to make sure the remote always has a clear view to your drone, windows up/down/hanging out the window or are you able to just put it up, sit back and fly issue free?

Range wise, do you stay close by or are you able to fly some distance? If so about how far have you flown from inside your truck?

I'd really appreciate your experiences/info.. Thanks!

I really misread that one from the title. I'm thinkin holy moly! Great way to tear up a drone and your interior of the car. Don't be in it when you try it. Where I live it's too congested to try that.

Flying dash cam. ?

Nice set up! I like how you have the iPad on the steering wheel table (I happen to already have one of those tables) and just use the longer cable to link it to the remote, I like it !

I guess the main question is do you have any reception issues flying from inside your truck? Do you need to make sure the remote always has a clear view to your drone, windows up/down/hanging out the window or are you able to just put it up, sit back and fly issue free?

Range wise, do you stay close by or are you able to fly some distance? If so about how far have you flown from inside your truck?

I'd really appreciate your experiences/info.. Thanks!
Thanks and no. If I’m doing any type of range test I sit the controller on top of the steering wheel with the mini. This was before the update
where the gauges are now in the black. Need to go to the hills here and do one .
in the hills I can stretch it out from a log landing over 2 miles under 60’. Just quit then because the Mini is so light.
wrong video.

Only issue if you can call it one is sometimes I have to recal the compass in my iPad when in the truck as as you can see in the Go App. I just do a figure 8 with the pad in my hand and it gets right.
In that I was just in a hurry and forgot. There I watch the map for the bank coming up.

Only issue if you can call it one is sometimes I have to recal the compass in my iPad when in the truck as as you can see in the Go App. I just do a figure 8 with the pad in my hand and it gets right.
In that I was just in a hurry and forgot. There I watch the map for the bank coming up.

Perfect and thanks for sharing your info.

I’ll feel a lil more confident about giving it a try and operating it from my truck, obviously I’ll start slow and see how it goes but I definitely appreciate your input[emoji818]️

I’m thinking if I set up my home point and launch from the ground right outside my truck, worst case I lose signal and it returns home.

Perfect and thanks for sharing your info.

I’ll feel a lil more confident about giving it a try and operating it from my truck, obviously I’ll start slow and see how it goes but I definitely appreciate your input[emoji818]️

I’m thinking if I set up my home point and launch from the ground right outside my truck, worst case I lose signal and it returns home.
Yes I set up close then HP is set there. Always take babysteps trying anything new. I did when I started and just continued until I was comfortable. You will figure it out. ??

Probably the most important bing to remember if you try this is to launch the ac far enough from the vehicle to avoid being influenced by its magnetic presence. Many drones have been lost by launching from car roofs or the backs of pick ups.

Reactions: BirdzEyeView2020
I've seen a lot of YouTube videos of ppl flying from inside there cars/suv, read a few post, everything seemed to be working good. I'm curious, if kept in line of sight and just toying around if things usually operate properly. Or is this just one of those things to stay away from? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks!

We do almost all of our flying from inside the Car and I have quite a few Videos on extreme weather flying from inside the car..

Since we only Fly in the Rain , that should give you some idea as to how solid it has been for us.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on the Water.

Probably the most important bing to remember if you try this is to launch the ac far enough from the vehicle to avoid being influenced by its magnetic presence. Many drones have been lost by launching from car roofs or the backs of pick ups.
I’ve read so much about this and sure many have but if your app shows your good than you are. What you see at the start is looking down the 5th wheel hitch hole right over the rear end. All I used for
my launch pad for years till I got another truck this year and has a aluminum
bed and can’t .
Mess up anything ..no.
Would it RTH in that 1990 all steel bed and do a precision landing ?
Guys I’m not saying there can’t be issues but if you trust what your app says and believe what you see not just what you read your good.

I didn't see this mentioned, but loss of signal or controller or tablet/phone failure will be a disaster. There are two things the drone will do depending on what you previously setup before takeoff:

1. Stop and hover until the battery runs out then tries to land immediately.
2. Initiate Return To Home (RTH) which means the GPS location where it took off.

Number 1 could be over a lake, over trees, over buildings and without a signal, you may not know where it landed. Also, hover in place will only guess when it must land before the battery runs out. High altitude along with winds may not estimate correctly and the drone could shutoff in the air.

Number 2 starts by rising to the RTH altitude you set previously, or the default which is about 100ft (30 meters). Once at or above that altitude, it will head directly back to the takeoff location. It will not retrace the path you took to get there. Any buildings, power lines, trees, bridges, towers, etc will be a big problem. If it detects an obstacle, depending on the model, it may try to go up or around or hover in place. Tree branches, towers and powerlines are too small to avoid.

Moving your controller position, whether on land or on a boat can be hazardous to your drone's life.

I have been purposely trying to loose signal with the SC to see if might really need a booster.
Just kind of putting it Thru the Standard Hoops we fly thru and its holding it own really well granted I am in VLOS at all times but I do go low..as of now I dont see the need for the Booster yet.

I have also tried to trip it up with the Phone, Radio , Wipers , Engine, and facing the SC the wrong way as well as flying with sensors on /off and at night .
2000 ft is no problem and 2800 Ft with a Rescue Jacket all seem pretty solid.

This is a thread with a few Car Flights with the air2 and the Sc.

Would sitting in the care not violate the VLOS?

Would sitting in the care not violate the VLOS?

Recently I had a phone call with the FAA special agent , about such things as well as others.

When it came to flying at work and sharing videos to friends - the agent used words like slippery slope / tricky area / should have 107.

When it came to flying from inside the car, I got thats fine as long as you have clear visual sight and can get out of the car see the drone if need be.
You can also fly from under an umbrella also or from inside a boat. The Focus is on Clear line of sight.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Reactions: BirdzEyeView2020
The whole problem with VLOS is that it's not really doable. How does one keep a 10" drone like the mini in site at 1500-2000' away? Like trying to watch a mosquito from across the room. Not doable. Even with binocs be hard. I suppose if you can look up and point and say "yup, it's over there somewhere" you're good. LOL. I go up 200' fly 1000' over some trees...that's no longer "VLOS", right? Please have patience with my questions as I'm fairly new to the UAV world.

The whole problem with VLOS is that it's not really doable. How does one keep a 10" drone like the mini in site at 1500-2000' away? Like trying to watch a mosquito from across the room. Not doable. Even with binocs be hard. I suppose if you can look up and point and say "yup, it's over there somewhere" you're good. LOL. I go up 200' fly 1000' over some trees...that's no longer "VLOS", right? Please have patience with my questions as I'm fairly new to the UAV world.

You do bring up a good point , the Mini is not the same as the Mavic Air 2 in size so your VLOS is going to be a lot less:

When I talk about VLOS its a clear line of sight : Notice how I do my visual checks to the Controller than back to the sky , this for me is the Key.
Now my eyesight is not that good so others may get more than I do but not by much but because I am confident in my numbers that give me confidence to fly them well.

If you go to 9:06 seconds on the Video you can see my idea of clear line of sight : Everyone should test there own numbers to have confidence in there flights with there particular drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54