DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I haven't yet, but can anyone offer any helpful info/experience on flying MA2 from inside your car/suv. Or just don't do it??

I could not see the drone in the video when it was at 2000'. Maybe in person, but does not show in video that I can see. I have the AIr 2 (Mini is coming) and a Air and though they are bigger, my 62yr old eyes cannot see something that small and grey at 2000'. LOL. Maybe with the life jacket. I"m probably going to buy the jacket and raincoat for the Air 2 , maybe as a Xmas present. I shoot over the Mohawk a lot her in upstate NY (doing a bunch of videos on the local locks of the Erie Canal).

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I could not see the drone in the video when it was at 2000'. Maybe in person, but does not show in video that I can see. I have the AIr 2 (Mini is coming) and a Air and though they are bigger, my 62yr old eyes cannot see something that small and grey at 2000'. LOL. Maybe with the life jacket. I"m probably going to buy the jacket and raincoat for the Air 2 , maybe as a Xmas present. I shoot over the Mohawk a lot her in upstate NY (doing a bunch of videos on the local locks of the Erie Canal).

Great video: I cannot get that Rescue Jacket out to you fast enough, lol

when your ready just email me at [email protected] for the Discount Package , its not listed on the Website.
I think you will love the extra VLOS from the Rescue jacket.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

The whole problem with VLOS is that it's not really doable. How does one keep a 10" drone like the mini in site at 1500-2000' away? Like trying to watch a mosquito from across the room. Not doable. Even with binocs be hard. I suppose if you can look up and point and say "yup, it's over there somewhere" you're good. LOL. I go up 200' fly 1000' over some trees...that's no longer "VLOS", right? Please have patience with my questions as I'm fairly new to the UAV world.
It is doable... VLOS means you can see it. If you can’t at the distances And/or in the conditions you describe then legally you must keep it closer.
Adding strobes can increase this distance. Contact your local FAA office if desired for verification.

@crash3x Sorry but just now got to do this to answer your question
on reception going any distance. Well havn’t been able to get to my testing spot in the hills here but did this for you where I do go about everyday it’s not raining. You will see I am on the West Bank and have to kind of take a left to go up the waterway to get any distance. So I’m actually getting signal through the trees you see when I take off.
I stay low till I loose 2.4 and loose video but still have 5.8 so I continue but rise up till I get it back. Watch my gauges. Now normally I’m on the east bank to fly to that lock to get my barge /boat pictures and isn’t but about 3500’ so never a issue but this is just to show you.
This isn’t for everyone but I’ve been doing it for years with different
models. You have to take wind and your surroundings into considerations when flying like this but that comes from knowing where you are and I do very well.
Again this was just a test to show you and the end I did just for the heck of it as so many freak out flying around birds. I don’t mess with Rapters as they will eat your lunch but these others don’t bother me.
Note/ I do not suggest anyone to fly like I do and if you do try distance know where you are. Have rth set correctly and also if you
see your not going to make it back don’t panic just start looking for a place to land safely. I’m not over open water like the ocean and there
is a road running along side of this channel to land on. Have had to several times. And don’t fly high.
I did loose all signal for a few seconds in this but a horse fly came in
the window and I dropped my tx in my lap. Got it back up quick though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
Thanks and no. If I’m doing any type of range test I sit the controller on top of the steering wheel with the mini. This was before the update
where the gauges are now in the black. Need to go to the hills here and do one .
in the hills I can stretch it out from a log landing over 2 miles under 60’. Just quit then because the Mini is so light.
wrong video.
Off topic, I know, but great music choices. Pink Floyd and The Stones :cool:Thumbswayup
Thanks for the examples!

The whole problem with VLOS is that it's not really doable. How does one keep a 10" drone like the mini in site at 1500-2000' away? Like trying to watch a mosquito from across the room. Not doable. Even with binocs be hard. I suppose if you can look up and point and say "yup, it's over there somewhere" you're good. LOL. I go up 200' fly 1000' over some trees...that's no longer "VLOS", right? Please have patience with my questions as I'm fairly new to the UAV world.
Agreeing with @Thomas B, VLOS is really self explanatory. Just because our drones have the ability for impressive distance doesn't mean we should test the boundaries. The MA2 can go almost 5 miles, but realistically speaking, why would I ever need to be that far?!
(other than a possible search and rescue of a human being, or simply up to 'no good' lol)
Find your number, and stick with it...keeping in mind, that number will always change depending on weather conditions and take off position/location. VLOS isn't always lost due to distance either...objects, landscape, trees, buildings, etc. Hope I haven't been too redundant!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I agree with VLOS and usually adhere to it. I have to admit though, the only time I get into trouble is when flying while looking at the drone (depth perception etc). I fly with less problems (within VLOS) if I keep my eyes on the screen. Just IMHO. I’m very cautious by nature though and, even though I only have a MM, I don’t want to part with my $ for repairs or loss.