DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Just lost my Mavic 3

Normally I do not fly over roads like that. This Mercedes Benz driver was doing something suspicious close to my apartment and I decide to follow him while testing the tracking mode. But I agree the drone could end up on top of a car.
Thanks for the explanation, I was rather surprised that you would fly along and over a busy road like that.

I did notice a twitch in the drone/camera at the 18sec mark, could that be related to the final failure?

Reactions: pommy
I don't know, looks like a bird strike to me, and then a prop failure.
I think that what may have happened is that a bird attacked it, got scared and flew away, the propeller got damaged by the bird and broke in half, the drone flipped again and fell. Something like this happened to me with an old drone when I was flying along the beach.
Only because you can't see the bird in the video doesn't mean it wasn't there ;)

Reactions: Ty Pilot
In 6 years the first time I lost or crash a drone. I am not sure what happened. I was flying probably about 200-250FT altitude with the battery in 21% or close to that because it never trigger the RTH. I was following a car and studently the screen start spinning for half second and went in black and white with the image freeze and no telemetry. I press RTH but nothing.

I went to the last recorded coordinate but nothing. Try find my drone but the drone has no power. I was flying with my RC Pro controller. I am trying to find the Flights log but I cant since is the new RC Controller and i always depend on Airdata but the log is not there either. I cant think clear. I cant believed.

The drone is in a very dense area with tree and no access but i am going tomorrow to try to recover it if I can since is dark now.

Pretty sad if you can't find it. I am still seeing a lot of issues with the M3's as though they weren't ready for release yet. I use a Marco Polo transmitter stuck to me drone just in case of things like this. They are expensive but are self contained and don't rely on any cellular or satellite signal. Good Luck

Here is the video from the cache from the crash. I am still cant understand what happened.
I've had many bird strikes, and this looks different. Like either the motor fell off, or was shot off. Is it possible someone shot it down?

I say that because there was an initial hit like the motor or arm was shot off, then another where the camera/gimbal was taken out. When a hawk or raptor has hit my M2P, at some point it appears and the sensors warn of an approaching object. This didn't look like that.

Last edited:
I've had many bird strikes, and this looks different. Like either the motor fell off, or was shot off. Is it possible someone shot it down?

I say that because there was an initial hit like the motor or arm was shot off, then another where the camera/gimbal was taken out. When a hawk or raptor has hit my M2P, at some point it appears and the sensors warn of an approaching object. This didn't look like that.
@Chiuki, somebody would have to have been one hell of a good shot to hit that drone at that altitude and speed. We have so many guns here because we do not focus on accuracy. : )

Well this thread rapidly degenerated into fantasy. When will people learn that dreaming up convoluted scenarios involving birds/guns is not a useful substitute for looking at the data.

The first thing to note, as mentioned a few times, is that there was an initial loss of control at 735 seconds, lasting around one second, involving a roll to the left, pitch forwards, and rapid CCW rotation. It then stabilized briefly before losing control again. Looking at that in pitch/roll/yaw space:

Attitude.png

These data agree well with the video cache frames at the end of the flight, which generally rules out IMU failure.

In terms of velocity:

velocity.png

The only somewhat discontinuous change in velocity is 2.5 m/s to the west (aircraft right) recorded at 735.4 seconds. If that were due to a collision then to get CCW rotation and pitch down it would need to have been from below and left nearer the rear of the aircraft, but that would have resulted in right roll, not left roll. It doesn't look like a collision.

Without motor speed data it's impossible to draw any firm conclusions, but I would suspect a front left ESC problem, partial recovery, then failure. That would be a warranty issue, possibly even if you cannot recover the aircraft.

For what it's worth, I too think it looked kinda like a motor or ESC failure. It seems the fact that it certainly DID somewhat stabilize very briefly before spiraling would rule out prop failure, yet it's obvious the flight controller WAS trying to compensate for something.

So sad. Best wishes for getting a full replacement from DJI.

*wasn't intending to drag this thread down into the non-factual world with my fantasy comments so I'll refrain from contributing to this forum in the future.

I truly hope you find your drone and can get some answers as to what happened so as to possibly prevent a future loss or repeat. If I were there, I would help you search for it in the woods and swamp.

Good luck, man.

Well this thread rapidly degenerated into fantasy. When will people learn that dreaming up convoluted scenarios involving birds/guns is not a useful substitute for looking at the data.

The first thing to note, as mentioned a few times, is that there was an initial loss of control at 735 seconds, lasting around one second, involving a roll to the left, pitch forwards, and rapid CCW rotation. It then stabilized briefly before losing control again. Looking at that in pitch/roll/yaw space:

View attachment 141004

These data agree well with the video cache frames at the end of the flight, which generally rules out IMU failure.

In terms of velocity:

View attachment 141005

The only somewhat discontinuous change in velocity is 2.5 m/s to the west (aircraft right) recorded at 735.4 seconds. If that were due to a collision then to get CCW rotation and pitch down it would need to have been from below and left nearer the rear of the aircraft, but that would have resulted in right roll, not left roll. It doesn't look like a collision.

Without motor speed data it's impossible to draw any firm conclusions, but I would suspect a front left ESC problem, partial recovery, then failure. That would be a warranty issue, possibly even if you cannot recover the aircraft.
Was waiting for your reply mate, you know your stuff

I ran your log through FlightReader which revealed several messages throughout your flight concerning communication problems between your controller and the drone, image transmission troubles between the drone and your controller, and aircraft in the area. Perhaps you had signal blockage when flying low and far away? Good luck finding your drone; I'm sorry for your loss.

I synced the video with the data in case that helped with the analysis. The last section of the video is corrupted, so the frames of the incident are not exactly in sync:
(YouTube might still be processing the HD version)
Nice functionality with the overlayed data, but the data are not just "not exactly" in sync - it's not even close. The displayed telemetry for the event doesn't start until after the video feed has ended.

I just expend 6 hours trying to find the drone and nothing. I made a mapping mission with my Mavic Air 2 using Dronelink and I am processing the mapping pictures now.
dronelink.jpg

So sorry for your loss. Hope you had insurance or DJI refresh.

So sorry for your loss. Hope you had insurance or DJI refresh.
I do. But but the deductible is $800 if I cant find the drone. I do not want to pay if was a DJI fault.

Nice functionality with the overlayed data, but the data are not just "not exactly" in sync - it's not even close. The displayed telemetry for the event doesn't start until after the video feed has ended.
Right. It's in the black section of the video. I could move the corrupt bits of the video there manually and re-sync them with the data if that adds anything useful.
How? I don't know if it helps with the analysis but it looks blooming useful.
See my signature

Right. It's in the black section of the video. I could move the corrupt bits of the video there manually and re-sync them with the data if that adds anything useful.
That would be good - if it's not too much work. It might help @zeusfl with DJI too, if they don't initially find anything conclusive in the logs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus