DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Just lost my Mavic 3

I just expend 6 hours trying to find the drone and nothing. I made a mapping mission with my Mavic Air 2 using Dronelink and I am processing the mapping pictures now.
View attachment 141012
The telemetry looks reasonable, with the possible exception of the vertical speed, which is a bit fast, but the aircraft was kind of augering down at that point. Integrating the vertical speed w.r.t. time does take it approximately to ground level and agrees with the OSD height, so maybe it is correct. If that's the case, then the KML track should be fairly accurate, and it suggests that the aircraft came down on the road or sidewalk. How long from the crash before you arrived on scene?

grab30.png

That can explain why I was unable to find it. When this happened I press RTH and wait about 4 minutes before jump in my car. Probably I arrived 8 minutes after the crash. Maybe some one took the drone if they seen the crash. I am going back to crash side and see if i can find any mark on the ground or grass.

Search area.
search.jpg

search1.jpg

Best picture from the possible area. Let see if somebody has good eyes.

DJI_0347.JPG

DJI_0329.JPG

As a wildlife rehabilitator, as an everyday job for the past 16 years, and also using drones as part of that job, this absolutely looks like a raptor attack to me. I've had collisions with angry birds and even the top of a lamp post in the past, and they looked just like this. In two cases, with a complete horizontal roll before the drone recovered. Fortunately, each time I was able to land, but there was prop damage, sometimes loss of as much as 1/4 of one prop. Of course this is conjecture unless and until the drone is found, and I can offer nothing on actually locating the drone, but I find collision with a bird to be more plausible than momentary electronics failure and then momentary recovery from that failure. I offer this more so as informational for the future and to warn other drone operators. You were flying above a busy road over a heavily wooded area. And about the right altitude for a soaring raptor to have been scanning. And raptors would hunt above such a road, watching for easy road kill carcasses that are sure to be plentiful alongside any busy roadway through a heavily wooded area. They're intelligent and know where to find easy meals that they didn't have to kill themselves. But I strongly suspect that parking your drone momentarily in the sky above what would be an area highly observed by raptors, looked like an easy opportunity to catch a slow moving "bird", and the raptor is most likely to have struck from behind in that case, as is their customary way when taking another bird in the air for prey. Drone operators should always be mindful that certain areas are patrolled more heavily by raptors for certain reasons, and that being stationary or slow will make your drone a more inviting target. There's little you can do about it to prevent it in most cases, but being aware and always scanning the rest of the airspace periodically for such conflicts may be enough to avoid a costly mistaken identity by wildlife. Also, for this very reason, I now run strobes on my Mavic, even in daylight, as one way to mitigate possible attack from a raptor is the disorienting effect a strobe would have on their vision as they approached closer. They are more likely to "wave off" the attack before making contact if you employ top side strobes. Since utilizing strobes in day flying, I have not had any more collisions or close approaches from birds, either territorial aggression, nor attempted predation. And if the drone goes down, it's also just a lot easier to visually track it or locate it after the crash with another drone in an aerial search if you have independently powered strobes on board that could continue to operate for a number of hours. There's no downside I can see to running strobes also in daylight, as long as they're placed far enough outside of the camera view.

As a wildlife rehabilitator, as an everyday job for the past 16 years, and also using drones as part of that job, this absolutely looks like a raptor attack to me. I've had collisions with angry birds and even the top of a lamp post in the past, and they looked just like this. In two cases, with a complete horizontal roll before the drone recovered. Fortunately, each time I was able to land, but there was prop damage, sometimes loss of as much as 1/4 of one prop. Of course this is conjecture unless and until the drone is found, and I can offer nothing on actually locating the drone, but I find collision with a bird to be more plausible than momentary electronics failure and then momentary recovery from that failure. I offer this more so as informational for the future and to warn other drone operators. You were flying above a busy road over a heavily wooded area. And about the right altitude for a soaring raptor to have been scanning. And raptors would hunt above such a road, watching for easy road kill carcasses that are sure to be plentiful alongside any busy roadway through a heavily wooded area. They're intelligent and know where to find easy meals that they didn't have to kill themselves. But I strongly suspect that parking your drone momentarily in the sky above what would be an area highly observed by raptors, looked like an easy opportunity to catch a slow moving "bird", and the raptor is most likely to have struck from behind in that case, as is their customary way when taking another bird in the air for prey. Drone operators should always be mindful that certain areas are patrolled more heavily by raptors for certain reasons, and that being stationary or slow will make your drone a more inviting target. There's little you can do about it to prevent it in most cases, but being aware and always scanning the rest of the airspace periodically for such conflicts may be enough to avoid a costly mistaken identity by wildlife. Also, for this very reason, I now run strobes on my Mavic, even in daylight, as one way to mitigate possible attack from a raptor is the disorienting effect a strobe would have on their vision as they approached closer. They are more likely to "wave off" the attack before making contact if you employ top side strobes. Since utilizing strobes in day flying, I have not had any more collisions or close approaches from birds, either territorial aggression, nor attempted predation. And if the drone goes down, it's also just a lot easier to visually track it or locate it after the crash with another drone in an aerial search if you have independently powered strobes on board that could continue to operate for a number of hours. There's no downside I can see to running strobes also in daylight, as long as they're placed far enough outside of the camera view.
Which strobes can you recommend?

That would be good - if it's not too much work. It might help @zeusfl with DJI too, if they don't initially find anything conclusive in the logs.
I will do that. It might take mi a bit longer as I need a different computer from the one I have here

While it's not out of the question for it to have been a bird attack, the data don't really support that hypothesis. Also, virtually every time an event like this happens it gets labeled as a bird strike. In the hundreds of cases that I've looked at it has almost never turned out to be a bird strike. In the one documented case that I recall the attack was obvious.

I've no idea why you discount component failure - that accounts for most of the non-pilot-error losses.

Reactions: Pietros
Yeah I've heard one way to discourage birds is shiny, reflective things, instead of bright lights.

I am on a MacBook and do not know how to edit photos on it. In 0329 there is a length of foot path made of slightly rectangular darkish grey slabs, above that there is a lighter coloured slab. By the joint between the penultimate dark slab and the last dark slab there is a black sign.
There is a branch that projects over the last dark slab, the branch has a fork over the slab and a very straight run 'back to something ' but there is a kink or bend at the end of the straight. From the start of that kink extend a vertical down the photo to meet the projection of the joint between the last two dark slabs. Depending on the screen angle I see something that might be cross shaped at the intersection of the above vertical and the extension of the joint. There are 3 bright objects at the ends of the cross.
It may all be leaves and wishful thinking but.....

Not meaning to be offensive but does any one else think that Zeusfl has had a lucky escape here? The drone could have come down into what looks like a fairly busy road and maybe through a windscreen.
Yeah I agree, but reading on another forum he seems more worried that someone stole it. Hard to fathom.

Sorry for your heartache and I hope your search is successful. My previous posts on this forum will show I know the pain of losing a drone or taking days to find it. Whether you are a newbie or a veteran, there are always lessons for others to learn from these incidences.

My experience with DJI warranty claims is that they will honor unless there are any breaches of S.O.Cs. Then its down to the individual tech assessing the claim. Give it a try, it doesn't hurt and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Finally, I just hope the FAA doesn't add to your pain by reading the log or watching the video.

Last edited:
Well at least Meta didn’t take such an elaborate route to explain to all just exactly what happened.
Except he didn't explain exactly what happened - he made a preliminary educated guess based on the initial attitude excursion. I figured that a slightly more detailed analysis of the data was needed to try to diagnose more than just "a motor problem", investigate the brief recovery of the aircraft, and see if there was any indication of a collision, but even that didn't end up explaining "exactly what happened".

If you think that was an elaborate approach then you would be wrong - it was very simple, due to the limited data in the TXT log.

Reactions: Moozer and Pietros
Well at least Meta didn’t take such an elaborate route to explain to all just exactly what happened.
Well said. This is a discussion forum where peoples individual experience adds to the groups overall knowledge. Arrogance or elitism should have no place here.

The carrying out of the correct pre-flight checks would reduce prop loss and / or motor failure, especially on a new aircraft, to absolute minimum, but not rule it out.

I really appreciate all the help from everybody that try to explain or help with the drone recovery, this is very deeply appreciated. Just as a question for the experts. Is the Mavic 3 lack of data different from the other drones? is a different format? Why the data is not sufficient? Do we have data from the motors? I will like to know and learn more.

I have 6 years flying drones and about 23 years in R/C and everyday I learn something. I never had a drone crash before even when I pushed limits many times (lucky me) but part of the learning is that there are situations that are just out of your control. I always do pre-flight inspection like check props, battery setting, wait for homepoint and never fly with less than 12 satellites, always check your RTH altitude, check weather and wind direction ect...

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
Not meaning to be offensive but does any one else think that Zeusfl has had a lucky escape here? The drone could have come down into what looks like a fairly busy road and maybe through a windscreen.
The odds of that, at that height are slim. There is way more non-populated ground area below, that the drone would have likely drifted into. The timing and accuracy needed for the drone to hit a car would have to be beyond perfect. If it even hit a wind shield, the car might end up with a busted windshield, but I doubt it would penetrate it.

(If I used emoticons, I'd put a smiley face here.)

After reading earlier about the emotional state of the bird that may have attacked the drone, I have to wonder what's beyond perfect.

"The timing and accuracy needed for the drone to hit a car would have to be beyond perfect."

By extension, should we conclude it's a waste of time for ships to have lookouts and radar operators on duty to watch for other traffic?

Good luck with recovery or a DJI claim, @zeusfl. And a "Good on you." to those who help out with solid, rational analysis and real-world experience in situations like this.

Reactions: zeusfl
Well said. This is a discussion forum where peoples individual experience adds to the groups overall knowledge. Arrogance or elitism should have no place here.

The carrying out of the correct pre-flight checks would reduce prop loss and / or motor failure, especially on a new aircraft, to absolute minimum, but not rule it out.
Really - are you objecting to me doing an analysis of the log data to try to determine the cause of the crash, or objecting to my frustration that every time this happens, out come the "bird strike" and "someone shot it down" crowd with their entirely fact-free assertions?

Reactions: Speshal
The chance to hit a bird is lower than hit a windshield. I guess you have more chances to hit a windshield.
Hitting a bird at that altitude flying that fast is very low, (not impossible but low). Hitting a windshield in a traffic light having the drone crashing in that area is pretty high in my opinion. That area is not high traffic. Is low traffic but there is good chances so i glad this does not go wrong in that perspective.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun