DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Just lost my Mavic 3

Really - are you objecting to me doing an analysis of the log data to try to determine the cause of the crash, or objecting to my frustration that every time this happens, out come the "bird strike" and "someone shot it down" crowd with their entirely fact-free assertions?
No, just the opening sentence of your reply. Don't like what I say ? Get over yourself

• Angry
Reactions: Prismatic
I found it but the dates are all wrong. Base in the last modify this one is the one.
Make sure the time zone is set properly on your remote. You mentioned that the times in the logs were off. It can also create all sorts of issues with flight and communication if it's not. Sorry about your loss that really sucks and I hope you found it intact!

Last edited:
... Is the Mavic 3 lack of data different from the other drones?
Compared to the other newer crafts from DJI ... no.

DJI have successively made it more & more difficult to get read access to the main 3 flight logs (craft stored .DAT log, Mobile device stored .DAT log & Mobile device stored .TXT log).

-The Mavic Pro was the last model series that allowed us to read the craft stored .DAT logs. From Mavic Air 1 all those have been encrypted.

-The Mini 2 was the first model denying us read access to the mobile device stored .DAT log

-From DJI Fly app v1.22 also the read access to the mobile device stored .TXT log was stopped. After some time both Airdata & PhantomHelp got the encryption keys through DJI cooperation & could provide read access to some data from the mobile device stored .TXT log.

Why the data is not sufficient? Do we have data from the motors?
So ... for a Mavic 3 we only have limited access to the mobile device stored .TXT log through the Airdata & PhantomHelp web services. That limits our possibility to go to the bottom with incidents like yours as the .TXT log only include telemetry transmitted from the aircraft to the RC like IMU solutions that are the output from the sensor fusion algorithm, battery data, gimbal and camera data, flight status and error flags... but no motor data or raw sensor data.

Very nice - that's an excellent capability.
That was amazing. @0Kajuna0 thank you for taking your time doing this. I just came for another morning of 5 hours searching for the drone with the most recent data but nothing.

Reactions: Ranger
Looking at your ground video I would say your chances of finding it in there is slim to none. I had lost a Parrot Anafi at the beginning of winter a few years ago. Took 3 months till it was spring time to find it. They can hide from you very well. To bad you had no tracker on it.
Sorry for the lose.

That was amazing. @0Kajuna0 thank you for taking your time doing this. I just came for another morning of 5 hours searching for the drone with the most recent data but nothing.
One other suggestion - integrating the IMU data w.r.t. time gives a slightly different solution than the GPS data in terms of displacement from the last stable point:

Position.png

That would suggest looking in this area, as it might have hit that tree coming down on that trajectory.

grab41.jpg

And there is possibly a gray object visible in your image at that location, which may or may not be significant.

Reactions: calmar81
One other suggestion - integrating the IMU data w.r.t. time gives a slightly different solution than the GPS data in terms of displacement from the last stable point:

View attachment 141111

That would suggest looking in this area, as it might have hit that tree coming down on that trajectory.

View attachment 141112

And there is possibly a gray object visible in your image at that location, which may or may not be significant.
I am going to take a look again there!!! Thanks 🙏

Reactions: calmar81
This just hurts !!! Is not a cheap drone.

While it's not out of the question for it to have been a bird attack, the data don't really support that hypothesis. Also, virtually every time an event like this happens it gets labeled as a bird strike. In the hundreds of cases that I've looked at it has almost never turned out to be a bird strike. In the one documented case that I recall the attack was obvious.

I've no idea why you discount component failure - that accounts for most of the non-pilot-error losses.
My hypothesis stands on its own merit as stated, given my nearly 2 full decades experience. That experience includes use of drones in a professional capacity around wildlife, including raptors, as pat of the job. My post was informational and cautionary to other drone operators based on that experience. Take it personally if you wish. I have no desire for petty quarrels from people who want to argue petty nonsense for argument sake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard70
My hypothesis stands on its own merit as stated, given my nearly 2 full decades experience. That experience includes use of drones in a professional capacity around wildlife, including raptors, as pat of the job. My post was informational and cautionary to other drone operators based on that experience. Take it personally if you wish. I have no desire for petty quarrels from people who want to argue petty nonsense for argument sake.
Nothing personal at all, but incident report statistics indicate that your hypothesis is very unlikely to be correct. If you think that trying to determine what caused this amounts to "petty nonsense" then that's your problem, not mine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard